PDA

View Full Version : The Crafty Thread!

fidgiegirl
3-31-12, 12:30pm
I am mulling over some sewing projects lately, but with the chaos that is our house, have not worked on any of them.

1) Bathroom curtains: have bought two choices of fabrics :) Not like me, but we went to the CUTEST quilt shop in Shakopee, in an old brick train depot, and they had such sweet fabrics and my second buy was only $4.49 a yard. Plus our bathroom window is really small so I didn't feel bad double-buying :)

2) Fitted vinyl tablecloth. Right now we have a big piece of vinyl over our eating table, usually displaying some of DH's vintage tablecloths underneath. But I hate it. It is way too big, so it is always touching my legs when I eat, and in summer that's just awful (I hate stuff touching my legs when I'm in shorts. The car keys touch them too and EW!). And it's always dirty and doesn't really come clean in the washer. Anyway! I found these super cute tablecloths and am contemplating making either a scalloped fitted one (http://www.twigandthistle.com/blog/2009/03/diy-oilcloth-table-cover/) or a plain fitted one (http://projectsbyjess.blogspot.com/2010/06/fitted-simple-tablecloth.html). I have a gift cert to a place with a large selection of oilcloth, too.

3) Inspired by the "Upping our Efforts" thread, I am trying to think of how to organize all these recycling efforts. Not sure if I could make something to hang where we could put them misc. plastics that will have to go to special destinations (Whole Foods, Aveda, a certain store) but I hate to go and buy a bunch of plastic receptacles for the plastics recycling! Too much irony!

Another project I've had in mind for a LOOOOOOOOONG time is to make some kind of zippered bag where we can keep clean plastic containers for leftovers when we go out to eat, or for bulk goods when we make an unexpected stop at the co-op, but that they will still stay clean. I have a lot of dog hair floating around in my car. (Ew, but true)

Of course, I still need to make some sleeping caps for my father-in-law. His head is really big and he uses a CPAP so he has to have an extra big sleeping hat for keeping his bald head warm. I made him one a few years ago and he liked it. :)

That's all I can think of for now . . . but it's plenty to get me started! :D

How 'bout you?

early morning
3-31-12, 4:48pm
Fun tablecloth idea! The dotted pattern shown is the oilcloth DD used for her kitchen chair seats - we love it! I have way too many projects overall, but crafty ones are fun! I have a sweatshirt to make into a jacket for my sister, and plenty of fabric to make some overnight type bags. I also want to make covers for my patio cushions - they will just be like large pillow shams, and all different, because I'm using feed sacks, old sheets, etc. that I have on hand - no money to spend on those. I made one last year and then stalled out... hoping for more accomplishments this year!

Can you make some washable big totes for your plastic recycling? I am a big fan of collecting things in pretty bags hanging on doorknobs. So easy to grab and go.

cattledog
3-31-12, 5:02pm
I haven't used my sewing machine in about four years. I'd like to make another quilt. I was going through my fabric stash and my DD picked out a purple print, so I will make her a quilt pretty soon. I still have some fat quarters that I picked up when I was in NYC years ago. I was going to make a scrappy style quilt, but I haven't gotten around to making that either. I swear working full-time, commuting, taking care of a dog and raising a baby left no room for crafting, LOL. I usually just knit for a little bit in the evening. Quilting seemed like too much of a production (even though I know it really isn't), that I couldn't psych myself up for it.

Anyway, I am also knitting myself a long cardigan now. I'm almost done, but I still need to knit the sleeves. With this warm weather I kind of lost my mojo for that project, but I hope to have it done before the fall. I also need to knit my DH a pair of socks. I have a long list of things I would like to knit, but I try to just work on one project at a time.

fidgiegirl
3-31-12, 6:58pm
Can you make some washable big totes for your plastic recycling? I am a big fan of collecting things in pretty bags hanging on doorknobs. So easy to grab and go.

That's a good idea, especially because we will have to take the plastic items to a location, unlike our curbside recycling. That way we could just put them in the totes, take the whole tote to the destination, and bring it home. Plus, we have a nice set of hooks already mounted in a perfect location. Will have to give this one a think! Thanks!

Your cushion covers sound fun!

fidgiegirl
3-31-12, 7:00pm
I haven't used my sewing machine in about four years. I'd like to make another quilt. I was going through my fabric stash and my DD picked out a purple print, so I will make her a quilt pretty soon. I still have some fat quarters that I picked up when I was in NYC years ago. I was going to make a scrappy style quilt, but I haven't gotten around to making that either. I swear working full-time, commuting, taking care of a dog and raising a baby left no room for crafting, LOL. I usually just knit for a little bit in the evening. Quilting seemed like too much of a production (even though I know it really isn't), that I couldn't psych myself up for it.

I find quilting hard. Maybe because it's so big? Although you could break it up into manageable size chunks ("make 3 blocks tonight") so that it still feels fun but leads to the completion of a project. Or maybe DD should get some quilted pillow shams or something like that which would be smaller :)

domestic goddess
3-31-12, 7:31pm
I love to read about everyone's projects!
I'm planning to raid my yarn stash to make some crocheted Easter eggs for my granddaughters. Even if I only get one for each of them made, they will be happy, and maybe it can be the start of an Easter decoration for each of them. These are very cute and don't look like they could take more than 1 hr, each. They only need scraps of yarn, and I've got a pretty big stash.
Next, I want to make a couple of string bags for the summer, as we find all kinds of ways to use (and lose) them. And a bag keeper for all the shopping bags we re-use.
And some chocolate chip cookies-oh, yeah!

fidgiegirl
3-31-12, 8:30pm
Cute, cute cute! And what a great idea. I think Easter, with its plastic grass and eggs, etc. is one of the most wasteful holidays. You will give them a cute little treasure that they can use again and again (even if they can't hide candy in it :) )

Stella
3-31-12, 8:44pm
Fun thread! I am making up a bunch of cloth napkins. I need good, brainless crafting right now with a quick pay-off time. I have them all cut already, so whenever I have a spare 5 minutes I can whip one up and feel like I accomplished something. It's like cheating, really.

I am also embroidering a unicorns and rainbows pillowcase for Bella.

I am kind of hoping to make a cool chalkboard out of an old window like this one (http://riotandfrolic.typepad.com/blog/2011/05/one-down.html) a friend of mine from high school made and posted on her blog. I want a chalkboard for my kitchen.

Rosemary
3-31-12, 8:49pm
DD's bday party is tomorrow and I'll be guiding 8 8-9 year olds through 3 craft projects. I've spent a fair amount of time the past couple of days getting ready for that. They're making clothespin dolls, friendship bracelets, and blankets for Project Linus.

I love the fitted tablecloth and might make one of those, myself! I don't like that modern oilcloth is actually vinyl, though. Don't like having that in my house. But might try one out of a heavy-duty cotton fabric.

re: a bag to keep plastic containers in for restaurant leftovers - personally, I just keep a few containers in one of the many cotton shopping bags I have. We don't have a dog in the car, though. Could you just throw it in the trunk to keep the hair off?

fidgiegirl
3-31-12, 9:12pm
DD's bday party is tomorrow and I'll be guiding 8 8-9 year olds through 3 craft projects. I've spent a fair amount of time the past couple of days getting ready for that. They're making clothespin dolls, friendship bracelets, and blankets for Project Linus.

I love the fitted tablecloth and might make one of those, myself! I don't like that modern oilcloth is actually vinyl, though. Don't like having that in my house. But might try one out of a heavy-duty cotton fabric.

re: a bag to keep plastic containers in for restaurant leftovers - personally, I just keep a few containers in one of the many cotton shopping bags I have. We don't have a dog in the car, though. Could you just throw it in the trunk to keep the hair off?

Fun party!! Have a great time.

Re: the bag, nope - no trunk. It's a hatchback. And the hair is pervasive :)

Stella, love the pillowcase idea! I love embroidering and should get mine out. It would probably help me cut my Internet time :D

Stella
3-31-12, 9:15pm
Happy birthday to your DD Rosemary!

iris lily
3-31-12, 9:28pm
Sewing projects!

You all would faint if I tols you how much $$$ I spent on fabric in the past 3 months. I bought fabric to cover pillows, make window swags, cover a 4 panel screen, and table clothes.

So far I've only completed the screen half way and a tablecloth, and now we are into gardening season, so little will get done on weekends.

JaneV2.0
4-1-12, 11:47am
I find quilting hard. Maybe because it's so big? Although you could break it up into manageable size chunks ("make 3 blocks tonight") so that it still feels fun but leads to the completion of a project. Or maybe DD should get some quilted pillow shams or something like that which would be smaller :)

I've done my share of quilting, and have never made a bed-sized quilt. I have a short attention span anyway, and the thought of spending hours and hours on something that would be used up and worn out as a bed covering (or thrown in the bed of somebody's pickup truck for the rottweiler) doesn't appeal. I like to make small and miniature quilts, and really enjoy foundation piecing, which makes teeny tiny projects a breeze.

Stella
4-2-12, 6:24pm
I'm seriously considering making this (http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2012/03/crazy-mom-quilts-one-way-to-knit-rag.html) rag rug. It's knitted from fabric scraps. I have a fabric scrap bin that really needs to be
reduced.

Stella
4-3-12, 7:26pm
The rag rug is underway and it's looking really cute!

domestic goddess
4-3-12, 8:11pm
I'm sorry I was so grumpy this morning. DD is finally feeling better after having a tooth pulled (but she still hasn't quite admittted that I'm not totally stupid-lol!), I got a little nap this afternoon, and the girls came home in better moods. Sometimes you just need that proof that things will get better. I got a crochet magazine today that has a cute cat to crochet, and some clothing for it, too. Each month they will have an outfit from another country. Next month is the Netherlands. I think this would be a cute thing to make, as dd's niece comes over often with her 3 year old dd, and has another one due imminently. I think this little cat and her clothes would keep the 3 year old occupied. I started making blankets for my dgd's American Girl dolls, but now I can't find them. I know they'll turn up.

domestic goddess
4-3-12, 8:12pm
What a cute rug, Stella. If only I could knit...

Stella
4-4-12, 8:52pm
domestic goddess, I'm glad you are feeling better! Your craft projects sound cute.

I'm still working on the rug and I've added one more mini-project. I'm making a baby headband for my soon-to-arrive daughter, Charlotte. I'm going to make it stretchy, using an old t-shirt as the base, and add some fabric yo-yos made from some cute yellow fabric with white polka-dots I had leftover from another project. I love headbands on babies. There are some ridiculously expensive ones out there, though, and they really aren't that hard to make.

Jemima
4-4-12, 9:17pm
Because my insanely jealous cat won't allow me to have another cat, I decided to sew some from a pattern that's survived several decades and many moves. The one problem I'm having is finding the kind of yellow-green plastic eyes I used to use on these. All that seems to be available are the goofy black and white ones with pupils that roll around. I don't want to get that cute.

Also working on a crocheted beret for next winter. The beautiful wool felt one that my favorite aunt gave to me years ago has gotten stretched out of shape. :(

fidgiegirl
4-4-12, 10:21pm
Pics, people, pics!!! :D

I am sadly sorry to say that for all my enthusiasm in starting this thread, I have accomplished all of ZERO in the crafting area.

Oh well! That's how a crafty life goes!

Keep 'em comin', do-ers . . .

iris lily
4-5-12, 12:58am
[QUOTE=Stella;75976...There are some ridiculously expensive ones out there, though, and they really aren't that hard to make.[/QUOTE]

I want to make headbands for my French bulldogs. They will look so cute!

Float On
4-5-12, 8:36am
Fun thread! I am making up a bunch of cloth napkins.
I call that Napkin Therapy!
I have over 300 cloth napkins I've made - good simple project to do when I need to mull things over.

I'm about ready to put down the needles and hooks for the summer as soon as I finish one last scarf. It's taking longer than I thought it would.
I too want to make a crochet rug, a really thick one, maybe out of T-shirt strips.
I'm needing something to sew and may try a few easy dresses as soon as I pick out a new pattern. Forgot to go to the fabric store when I was in the big town yesterday so I may order a pattern on-line becaue we don't have fabric stores with clothing patterns in this town.

fidgiegirl
4-6-12, 11:54am
Ooh, ooh! The sewing machine is set up! We are going to go get the liner fabric for the curtains, and my mom told me an easy trick to make it a faster process. Yippee! Crafty day!

fidgiegirl
4-6-12, 5:32pm
The bathroom curtains are made! Pics soon. We have to mount the hardware still and don't have time before we go to dinner. Hopefully I can get a good pic for you tomorrow.

Love them!

fidgiegirl
4-7-12, 6:03pm
I am now cooking up how I can organize our paperwork better. We have filing boxes for the business receipts, personal papers, bills to be paid, etc. but the traffic flow in the new house is making it difficult for those to make it into the boxes. I am considering some variety of pocket organizer for a staging area while the bills/receipts wait for one of us to have time to file them. It's so funny how just changing houses can turn the day-to-day living stuff upside down! I used to really pride myself on having tamed the paper monster, but it's reared it's head again. It's a neverending battle, and we have more junk than ever before because of the mortgages, realtors, USPS, Secretary of State all having sold our names to marketers as new residents to the neighborhood. Grrrr.

http://tipnut.com/organizers-caddies/

I kind of like this tipnut site for ideas.

fidgiegirl
4-8-12, 12:12am
http://ourfairabode.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/photo103.jpg?w=300&h=224

Bathroom curtains!

Float On
4-8-12, 12:16am
Cute curtains!

Tussiemussies
4-8-12, 12:45am
This is such a fun thread, I've enjoyed
reading about all of your projects.

Right now I'm in limbo, I'm trying to
Finish some Christmas table runners
That are challenging me to learn
Some new skills. My sewing machine has something
Wrong with the bobbin and I have to take it
In for service. I can't wait to get these done sinceI've
Had tem around for some time now.

Stella it is nice to hear you are still embroidering
Pillowcases I remember you doing
That when we were at the old forums.
I too made some pretty cloth napkins as a Christmas
Gift for my Mom and it's so nice like you said
To be able to quickly finish a project.

The tablecloth sounds nice and the cardigan
What color are you making it?

: ))

fidgiegirl
4-14-12, 6:36pm
Hi again all, not sure how I missed all your responses before, must be the forum glitchies plus my computer is acting up.

Well, I trimmed down the sheer curtains for the living room but realized very very quickly that if I want to do this project without killing myself I needed to buy a hemmer foot. I also want to make some small hankies so that will come in handy. It was only $7.25 on eBay and I will have it within a week so then I can carry on.

I did some repairs of some tents for the Girl Scouts today, that made me feel good. I thought the zippers needed replacing but they only needed the sliders tightened up. Neat trick for bad zippers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-khV4nudc. I sewed up the ripped out pole bags, that was all of 3 straight stitches so that was easy and will be nice for them, too.

My sister and brother-in-law and I went to the Textile Center's garage sale today and I picked up fabric for hankies and for sleeping hats for DFiL and DH. That was a crazyville. Interesting cast of characters and LOTS of fabric. For $2, though, nice score of fabric. Must pop it into the washing machine.

Stella
4-14-12, 7:09pm
I love the curtains Kelli! I was bummed that I couldn't go to that garage sale. I saw your post on that and thought it looked like fun.

Tussiemussies, good luck getting your machine fixed!

Float On, I love the "napkin therapy" terminology. That is exactly what it is. It's relaxing and useful at the same time.

Iris if you make headbands for your bulldogs you have to post the pics! That sounds so cute!

Cheyenne is making an embroidered pillowcase for her Grandma from a drawing she did. It's a rainbow with a lyric from The Rainbow Connection on it. So cute.

I made another pillowcase skirt for the girlies before I was put on bed rest. Now I have to come up with some good, easy projects to do while I sit.

I also spray painted some mismatched flower pots with chalkboard paint. Very cute! I'm going to write the scientific names of the plants on the pots with chalk. It will be cute and also be a good learning tool for the kids.

One craft we made this week as a family was rock garden markers. We painted rocks with outdoor paint. When they were dry, we drew pictures of the plants and wrote their names on the rocks to use as garden markers. I love them!

domestic goddess
4-14-12, 9:12pm
Cute ideas,Stella and all! For some reason, I'm really hooked on crocheting dishcloths. Don't know why; we use a brush to wash dishes. I think I like dishcloths because they are quick and portable, as well as useful. Also have some thread to make string bags for summer use.

Rosemary
4-15-12, 6:47am
I also like to keep a portable project going, for when I'm at DD's activities and at church (yes, I like to knit while listening). I just finished a knit washcloth with a cat pattern on it, that I'll stash as a holiday gift for a friend, and I started a wool-blend wrap.

I'm teaching DD to use the sewing machine and she is thrilled. Her Girl Scout troop is sewing dresses so we're nearly done with that, which has been a learning experience for both of us. Last week, she commented that one of her friends at school really liked the small cloth napkins that she takes in her packed lunch each day, so I said that she could make some for her friend. We found scrap fabric in friend's favorite colors and cut them out. DD pinned and by the 5th napkin she was running the machine solo while I was upstairs cooking. Then she used a flannel scrap to make a doll blanket and pillow. Her next project is to make a doll quilt. We cut out a bunch of squares of scraps and she laid them out in a pattern yesterday - she created a really nice pattern on her own.

iris lily
4-15-12, 7:49am
Stella, I love that idea of chalkboard paint on flower pots!

I may have to take up your rock planter guide since I am on plant marking system number 1,237 (or else it seems like it) and still there are problems. At the moment I use a combo of mapping and stake markers.

fidgiegirl
4-15-12, 10:05am
I also like to keep a portable project going, for when I'm at DD's activities and at church (yes, I like to knit while listening). I just finished a knit washcloth with a cat pattern on it, that I'll stash as a holiday gift for a friend, and I started a wool-blend wrap.

I'm teaching DD to use the sewing machine and she is thrilled. Her Girl Scout troop is sewing dresses so we're nearly done with that, which has been a learning experience for both of us. Last week, she commented that one of her friends at school really liked the small cloth napkins that she takes in her packed lunch each day, so I said that she could make some for her friend. We found scrap fabric in friend's favorite colors and cut them out. DD pinned and by the 5th napkin she was running the machine solo while I was upstairs cooking. Then she used a flannel scrap to make a doll blanket and pillow. Her next project is to make a doll quilt. We cut out a bunch of squares of scraps and she laid them out in a pattern yesterday - she created a really nice pattern on her own.

Love this, Rosemary. Both you and Stella always talk about how you are teaching your girls (and boys) to do things for themselves. That was something my parents did really well, I think, and I really treasure it. My mom always thinks she never "taught" us to sew, but she did . . . she gave us enough basics, and then let us create, just like you are doing with your daughter. Oh, my little crafty heart is warmed . . .

domestic goddess
4-15-12, 3:27pm
One thing that has me sort of stumped is how to teach my 10 year old dgd to crochet. She wants to learn. I'm self-taught, and I think I don't always do things in the easiest or best way, but it works for me. I'm not sure that is how I want to teach someone new to the craft to do it, and I'm not always sure I could teach "my" way of doing it. Someitmes I think I should just take her to a class with a teacher who knows what she's doing, but I think she kind of wants me to teach her.
I would like to say that I enjoy reading about younger people crafting, and doing things for themselves. Crafting has always been a big part of my life, and it is what I do when I want to think something through. My dd has had problems with self-esteem and depression, and I always encouraged her to craft, but it never seemed to take. Lately, though, she has made a friend who really enjoys scrapbooking. My dd doesn't have much interest in that, but she does enjoy paper crafting, and has made some lovely cards. She is really enjoying it and is pleased with what she is able to make. Now I know what to get her for her birthday- a gift card to a craft store so she can buy supplies.

Bastelmutti
4-15-12, 3:47pm
domestic goddess, I think a class is a good idea if you are ambivalent. My DDs are both left-handed, and I am right-handed. I sent one to a short knitting class (she got frustrated with me trying to teach her), and the other learned to crochet at school, but I was able to show her some tips at home once she knew the basics. Even though I could do both crafts, I had trouble "mirroring" the actions to teach them. PS Great b-day gift idea!

domestic goddess
4-16-12, 2:08am
As much as I hate to just give up and turn her over to someone else, I know she will detect my ambivalence about it. Once she knows the basics, I am comfortable teaching her new stitches, finishing techniques, etc. Maybe a class for her birthday is a good idea. There is a Michael's nearby.

domestic goddess
4-16-12, 2:09am
And if I sit in on the class, I can learn something about teaching such a craft.

I finished another discloth today. I have a crosstitch pattern I would like to make. May start on that soon.

Rosemary
4-16-12, 6:12am
I taught my daughter to crochet by having her sit right in front of me, facing away from me - first watching me crochet, then putting my hands on hers to guide her through the same stitches. There are also some really good videos online that teach knitting and crochet - and you can watch those over and over until you get it, and pause them until you figure out how to get the correct hand position.

Yarn stores often offer free or very reasonably priced classes or open knit/crochet times.

Stella
4-16-12, 8:33am
domestic goddess, I am in a similar place with knitting. I'm looking around for a kids' knitting class. If I am up and around for it there is a fiber arts fair in Lake Elmo in May that my friend's cousin, who works at a yarn shop, suggested I take the girls to. I'm thinking that might be a good place to find a knitting teacher.

Rosemary, I think it's so sweet your daughter wants to make napkins for her friend! That's a great starter project too.

I like the dishcloth idea. That is something I could do while I'm stuck here on my butt.

I have some photos to post, but I'm having trouble with the new format it's giving me for photo posting. I am getting errors. If I can't get it working I'll at least post links.

iris lily
4-16-12, 9:42am
I won Best in Show at the Iris show with one of my flower designs, Best out of 16 designs. One of these days when I can figure out my new camera, I'll post a photo. But I have to say, it wasn't very interesting and was one that I just stuck crap in a little vase and called it "done." The vase was very pretty and handmade (not by me!) and that's what the judges really liked.

JaneV2.0
4-16-12, 6:41pm
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/clapping.gif http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/yahoo.gif

Maxamillion
4-16-12, 8:49pm
I finally learned how to knit! I hadn't been able to figure out the diagrams I've seen in books. So last week I went on Youtube and found some knitting videos, which really helped! Still can't do anything complicated or read a pattern yet, but I can make basic squarish things like dish clothes, scarves, doll skirts, table runners, coasters, wrist cuffs, etc. I really like it, it's kind of meditative and Zen-like. This weekend I bought a shorter set of needles than the ones I originally bought, so that it'd be easier to take projects with me when I go get allergy shots or doctor appointments, meetings, etc. I spent 5 hours last week at the mechanic's shop and had my knitting with me thank goodness!

Tussiemussies
4-16-12, 9:29pm
Sounds great maxamillion, haven't seen any knitted table runner which I bet looks really neat
But I do get emails from Lion brand yarn, which by the way is made in the USA,
and the emails have instructions and pictures for some
knitted an crochet projects. Just also saw I think from there a knitted
Washcloth. Thought you might be interested...
Good luck with your projects!

Rosemary
4-16-12, 9:48pm
Congrats, Iris!

Stella, I'd like to hear more about the fiber arts fair!

Stella
4-18-12, 4:29pm
Rosemary, here is the website for the fair.

http://www.shepherdsharvestfestival.org/New_Site/

I think it looks like fun!

I knitted a washcloth yesterday. I am off some of my bed rest restrictions now that my blood pressure is under control, but obviously, I'm still mega-pregnant and need to sit a lot. The kids are hoping to finish some bottle cap jewlery they started a while back, but the weather is nice, so I don't know if they'll actually come home in time for that. :)

I am still in a very craft mood. If I get myself together tonight I might make a few more skirts and headbands.

Rosemary
4-18-12, 10:19pm
Thanks, Stella! That looks great! We have some plans that weekend but maybe we can work in a couple of hours there...
I've been in a crafting mood lately, too. It helps that I've been hosting soup & craft afternoons all winter, about once/week - designated time to work on something. I've got knitting, sewing, and crocheting projects going right now... and lots of ideas for summer kid-friendly projects.

Maxamillion
4-19-12, 6:52am
Sounds great maxamillion, haven't seen any knitted table runner which I bet looks really neat
But I do get emails from Lion brand yarn, which by the way is made in the USA,
and the emails have instructions and pictures for some
knitted an crochet projects. Just also saw I think from there a knitted
Washcloth. Thought you might be interested...
Good luck with your projects!

Thanks, I'll have to check them out.

artist
4-19-12, 7:47am
My projects are mostly knitting right now.
1. In the middle of making a cable knit sweater vest for my dh. I have the back done and am halfway done the front. I hope to finish it in the next coule of weeks.

2. I'm working on a aran knit afgahn. It is done in five pannels that are then sewn together. I have the center panel done and one of the side pannels 90% done. I started this a year ago. Ready to chuck it in but I know I have to tough it out and get it finished. I need to remember that I don't care for long term knitting projects. My goal is to finish the second panel and get the third started in May.

3. Hat for me to match the scarf I just finished. I already have the wool yarn for this one. I may tackle this after I do the vest just so that it's out of the way.

4. Patterned double knit mittens for me. I think this will be a nice fall project. It will take time with the pattern and will be using high end DK weight wool yarn.

5. Slipper socks for me. Chunky weight wool but I have yet to determine the color I want to do it in.

6. Regular socks for me. Sock yarn that I bought when our LYS went out of business. It's just sitting there begging to be knit. I think I will do this in the fall as well.

7. Slipper socks for dh. Chunky weight wool. To replace the pair he wore thin and got unrepairable holes in last winter.

8. Fingerless gloves for dh. Dk weight wool. He loves to wear these under his leather driving gloves.

fidgiegirl
5-26-12, 9:38pm
Resurrecting the crafty thread! Whatcha been up to, all?

I just made some sleeping beanies for DH and DFIL, both baldies, on my mom's overlock machine. I even threaded that sucker by myself! *beams with pride*

Also hemmed my friend's pants with a blind hem stitch. I didn't need a special foot in the end thanks to these instructions. (http://www.kundhi.com/blog/2011/05/27/how-to-blind-hem-stitch-without-a-special-foot/) So I learned a lot today!

Now just have to figure out the measurements to cut the beanies when working with the stretchy material. They came out kind of big. Fine for DFiL who needs his to fit over his CPAP - not fine for DH - they'll just fall off his head!

domestic goddess
5-26-12, 9:58pm
I have really been wanting to make socks for myself. Since I don't knit, they would have to be crocheted. Have seen several pattern books, but am not sure if I would really like crocheted socks. Has anyone made and worn crocheted socks? How did you like them?

fidgiegirl
9-9-12, 5:43pm
It's been a while! Resurrecting The Crafty Thread! I expect as we move into fall and *sniff* more cold weather for many of us, we might see more crafty activities.

I was at a retreat this weekend and made several items and did some scrapping. Here are my two faves:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/7965917406_0967be7c3c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/7965917406/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/7965917406/) by fidgiegirl (http://www.flickr.com/people/7733846@N05/), on Flickr

I got this hat for a steal at Gander Mountain and really like it for camping except it was too floppy and the brim would flip up so I"d get sun in my eyes when camping. So I stiffened it up with a cute print. There is some decorative stitching on top but no pic of that. I got the scraps from my mom and the interfacing cost me about $1.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/7965916368_c022454a31.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/7965916368/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733846@N05/7965916368/) by fidgiegirl (http://www.flickr.com/people/7733846@N05/), on Flickr

This is the clothespin apron, inspired by Rosemary! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

Tussiemussies
9-9-12, 5:58pm
Domestic goddess,

Think socks may be too thick if crocheted. If you can knit, I think that would be best...:)

JaneV2.0
9-9-12, 7:37pm
I bet crocheted ankle warmers would be cute.

Tussiemussies
9-9-12, 10:18pm
When I was young my Mom made me a pair of crocheted slippers that were comfy. Just recommend putting some sort of soles on the bottom to keep from slipping and sliding...:)

domestic goddess
9-10-12, 12:47am
Kelli, how nice that you were able to find a way to save your hat! And I really like the apron. I was never really an apron person before, but I am becomming so now. I'm kind of messy when I cook and clean. I need an apron with a bib, though, and I have seen some crocheted ones. That might be a project for me.

Stella
9-11-12, 4:51pm
Kelli, I like your projects! I was just thinking about craftiniess and hobbies as I noticed a few leaves changing on the trees outside my window. I am thinking of a few embroidery and sewing projects. I'm planning to make movie night pillows for the kids for Christmas. It's basically four pillowcases sewn together so you can fold them up and get comfortable sitting on the floor. For example, you can prop up your head with two sections and stretch out on the rest. The kids will really like those, I think.

I also want to do some tea towels with raptors on them. I have sewing patterns of different kinds of raptors and I think it would be a cute and unusual tea towel set.

I am also committing to learn more about photography this year. I take so many pictures and I have a nice digital SLR camera that I have no stinking idea how to use, except as a point and shoot. No. It's time to learn.

gwendolyn
9-11-12, 7:34pm
I just picked back up the knitting needles this weekend! And realized the pattern I got for a shawl a year or so ago is way over my head - no wonder I abandoned it instantly. But it felt good to get the needles clicking again even if it was just for practice / re-learning.

But the project I really should have done already is roman blinds -- does anyone know a good pattern or video for making insulated roman blinds? Probably another project that is over my head, but I need some window covers to keep the drafts down, but want something that lays in the window framing rather than hanging in front of it.

fidgiegirl
9-11-12, 7:51pm
Gwendolyn, this thread (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/forum/do-it-yourself-forum!/diy-window-coverings/msg14841/#msg14841) over on Mr. Money Mustache forums is long, but has a lot of good ideas for DIY insulating window coverings.

Rosemary
9-11-12, 9:56pm
Nice results!

I love my clothespin apron! I also made one for a friend to use when she's cleaning her house - she has mobility issues and needs to use her hands for balance against the walls and stair rails. I figured she could put things that need to be put away in other rooms into the big pocket and empty the pocket as she moves through the house.

I had a scrap of a cheap lace tablecloth that had torn. I turned it into 2 reusable produce bags for the grocery store.

This summer I found a free old dining chair circa 1940s on the side of the road. It needs to have the seat re-covered. A few weeks ago I got 2 bags of fabric at a yard sale for $1 and what do you know, there's a perfect piece of upholstery fabric in it. I bought some batting with a 40% off coupon.

Two friends are having babies this fall. I'm going to make them fleece sleepsacks, since those are, in my experience, very useful as well as very difficult to find in stores .

Float On
9-11-12, 10:07pm
I'm thinking of knitting some cast covers in fashionable colors. I may be a one shoe girl for 6-8 weeks and that would put us in cold weather. Need to keep the toes warm.

Tussiemussies
9-11-12, 11:30pm
I'm thinking of knitting some cast covers in fashionable colors. I may be a one shoe girl for 6-8 weeks and that would put us in cold weather. Need to keep the toes warm.

Float On -- how is your ankle doing these
days?

fidgiegirl
9-12-12, 8:06am
Awww, FloatOn! Big bummer, but make those cast covers cute!!

Love the projects, all! Hope we can keep this thread going. It's great inspiration!

bunnys
9-12-12, 3:27pm
It's making me want to buy a bobbin case and extension arm for my sewing machine so I can make some things. I love being crafty and creative.

I am just so reluctant to spend the money. But I really want to reupholster a chair in my family room that looks like cr@p because of the cat. I know I could do it if only I had a working sewing machine...

Nice job on the apron, Fidgie.

Float On
9-12-12, 4:45pm
I go to the ortho tomorrow afternoon....hoping that only a cast is needed.

Tussiemussies
9-13-12, 3:43pm
I go to the ortho tomorrow afternoon....hoping that only a cast is needed.

Hope the pain has subside considerably... Let us know if you need the cast...

Florence
9-14-12, 12:38pm

I am so dense--I couldn't figure out what cast covers were... OK, got that figured out. Hope you only need a cast!!

I am quilting a Jacob's Ladder quilt. My cats are happy because they get to snooze on the part that I am not quilting. Yes, all my quilts have cat hair quilted right in...

Tussiemussies
9-14-12, 4:58pm
That is so nice Florence that you have your cat hair sewn right into your quilt. Love that!:)

fidgiegirl
2-16-13, 6:10pm
How's the crafting going, all?

I have learned to crochet! It is so fun! There is a group that a gal I (now) know through another gal I know started up to crochet hats, shawls, etc. for individuals battling cancer. So I'm about to start hat #4 today. Very relaxing - I have nearly crocheted myself to sleep some nights. :)

Last night I made a crochet hook roll-up organizer because I realized the crochet stuff had exploded all over our living room. And really? Crochet doesn't need to be materials-intensive. I must resist the urge to build a stash of yarn. The group has received yarn donations so I don't need to purchase, either (though I have . . . :|() I have one skein to return because it is a wool blend and I'm not gonna dink around with washing wool anything if I don't have to.

Stella
2-16-13, 6:21pm
Dang, Kelli, you have Ben busy. I haven't made much progress on my hat since the last meeting. Hopefully I can get back to working on it soon.

Stella
2-16-13, 6:22pm
I hate typing on the iPad. Been, not Ben.

fidgiegirl
2-16-13, 7:47pm
Dang those iPads! :)

It's been helpful for me, actually - I'm doing less computer time. Or at least, trying to . . . now I have something else to pick up in the evenings.

BarbieGirl
2-17-13, 5:57pm
I'm currently doing crewel work on a sofa pillow.

Fidgiegirl--if you are interested in quilting, how about a quilted pillow or tablecloth for a start? A baby quilt can be quite manageable. Lol...buying extra fabric is a sickness. It's like candy for the eye, you can never have too much fabric! Or embroidery floss! :laff:

fidgiegirl
2-17-13, 7:09pm
Ooh, BarbieGirl - love crewel. I will see about quilting - quite absorbed with crochet right now! :) :) :) Going to start a sleeping beanie for my hubby in a bit here.

BarbieGirl
2-19-13, 7:46pm
Crocheting is hard for me. I can do the single and double stitch, but that's it! I find it hard following directions....I'm somewhat dyslexic with directions. I'm better when someone shows me how to do something.
Crewel to me is easy! Just coloring with thread.

Hope you have success with making the beanie!