PDA

View Full Version : April No-Spend Days

Nella
3-31-12, 12:33pm
Is it April already??!! We're already a quarter into what still feels to me like a new year. Everybody up for another month of no-spend challenge days? I'm scaling mine way back to 10 this month as I'm starting to plan for big changes in my life which will include a move across country and I know there will be lots of expenditures. Do you know how expensive packing tape can be??!!! :0!

early morning
4-1-12, 11:02am
Sure, I'm in! I ended last month with 7. Not what I'd like, but I'm working on it! So - trying for 10. Maybe THIS will be the month?? Hmmm. Nella, what direction are you headed? I hate moving, personally - I hope it goes smoothly for you!

DrJulieAnn
4-1-12, 11:04am
Do you know how expensive packing tape can be??!!! :0!

We moved three times within a four year period (job/relocation related). That stuff is expensive! We finally settled on reinforced paper tape as a cheaper option. Sure you have to keep a sponge, scissors, and dish of water handy but, for me, it was much easier to work with than the plastic packing tape. We got ours from ULine (http://www.uline.com/BL_3090/Kraft-Sealing-Tape-Central) but I'm sure there's cheaper options (we bought 1 case--8 rolls--and still had some leftover because the rolls are so large).

leslieann
4-1-12, 2:05pm
Hi, Julie!!! Glad to see you here!

Mrs-M
4-1-12, 2:16pm
Sigh... This is one area where I fail, not in relation to not seeing my share of no-spend days, because I have lots, but rather, having too much on my plate (most days) to remember to keep track of such. :(

I had a LOT of no-spend days last month, but just failed to organize my life to a point of giving thought to jotting them down.

Today will be a no-spend day, as will tomorrow. We had plans on spending last night at my parents, but mom came down with a bad headache, putting a kibosh to plans. Re: no-spend days, I'm projecting twenty-plus for this month.

Nella
4-3-12, 11:44am
Nella, what direction are you headed? I'm going to Richmond, VA to enter seminary this summer. It's a three year masters program after which I'll be a candidate for ordination. I've never lived on the east coast or in the south. I think it's going to be an interesting experience. I'm excited about being so close to so much of our Colonial historical sites.

Nella
4-3-12, 11:45am
Dr JulieAnn, Thanks for the tip on the packing tape. This move is going to decimate my bank account and every little tip to save money is welcome!

Nella
4-3-12, 11:50am
Sigh... This is one area where I fail, not in relation to not seeing my share of no-spend days, because I have lots, but rather, having too much on my plate (most days) to remember to keep track of such. :(

I had a LOT of no-spend days last month, but just failed to organize my life to a point of giving thought to jotting them down..Mrs. M, boy can I empathize! What's worked well for me is to get in the habit of asking for a receipt for every single purchase whether large, small, miniscule. I stash those in my wallet and then every once in a while I take them out, organize by date and record in my little carry around notebook. It's a good time filler if I'm having to wait for something or someone, or just while I'm watching no-brainer T.V. The key is getting in the habit of asking for a receipt for every single purchase.

babr
4-3-12, 12:24pm
I have two days so far of no spending!

flowerseverywhere
4-3-12, 1:35pm
two days here of no spend so far. Nella, Richmond is very nice and you are right about history. Colonial Williamsburg is one of my favorites along with Jamestown.

babr
4-5-12, 7:04am
wednesday no spend day!!

Mrs-M
4-5-12, 1:52pm
That's a great idea, Nella! Over the past few days I've been keeping track of my progress (no-spend days) through jotting them down. With me it boils down to conditioning.

Nella
4-5-12, 5:18pm
I've not gotten a very good start on my no-spend days for the April. So far I only have one. Well, that's what these forums are for, right? To give us inspiration and, in my case, to keep me accountable. Okay. Tomorrow is another day!

liquid
4-18-12, 6:24am
Great idea Nella. Been tracking my April spending as well. I've always recorded how much money I've spent in the past but this is the first time I'm tracking the number of days I'm not spending. I'm aiming for 25 no-spend days (http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/2012/04/april-spend-days.html) by the end of the April, but only have 14 so far. Scientists say people make about 8 financial decisions every day. I think what kind of environment we grew up in has a big influence on how we make those decisions, and how we perceive spending for the rest of our lives. One simple way I'm making this challenge easier for myself is to leave my money and credit card at home when I go out, unless I've already made plans to purchase something. This prevents the temptation to buy frivolous things ;).

Nella
4-18-12, 9:17pm
Boy, I'm struggling this month. Probably just because I'm getting ready to move and every time I turn around I'm having to spend money on something. Deposits, packing supplies, minor things to get the house ready to rent, etc. I'll do better in a few months when I'm resettled, so I guess I won't be too hard on myself at the moment. I think it's just important to keep up that tracking as it does help keep me aware of what I'm spending.

fidgiegirl
4-18-12, 9:43pm
Does driving make the day a spend day? Or is it only a spend on the days when one has to buy the gas?

liquid
4-19-12, 1:21am
Does driving make the day a spend day? Or is it only a spend on the days when one has to buy the gas?
I don't count using the gasoline already in my car as spending. But that's just me.

early morning
4-20-12, 8:16pm
I can't believe it's the 20th and I've had a grand total of FOUR no spend days, and ONE no-drive day. Things just keep happening. . . maybe they will calm down for the rest of the month. At least I hope so!

liquid
4-22-12, 3:05am
This month is going by so quickly. I've got 18 no spend days so far. Hope to squeeze in another 7 by the end of April.

SteveinMN
4-22-12, 8:06am
IMHO, buying the fuel makes that day a spend day; using it does not. If consumption of recurring purchases makes a day a spend day, then any day one spends eating and/or with a roof over one's head is a spend day.

flowerseverywhere
4-22-12, 8:37am
SteveinMN I like that reasoning.
I've been riding my bike all over so I have lots of no drive days but bad weather is coming. I have four days on call in work to do this week at a location less than three miles away but I probably will have to drive.

14 no spend days for me so far. A few days I did not spend but DH bought something for the home, like milk so I have to count it.

lizii
4-23-12, 2:35am
I only spend money once a week for buying groceries for the following week. I take a grocery list along with cash, which means I don't buy anything that tempts me.

I only buy what I need to keep me healthy, no treats. Most of my groceries are various veggies I enjoy.

I keep a half-dozen eggs to make for my breakfast by poaching, scrambling or frying them...no bacon either, no meat since I'm a vegetarian. My groceries cost me around $40 a week.

Nella
4-24-12, 12:15pm
This is feeling like one of those one step forward, three steps back kinds of month. Just learned from my mechanic that my transmission is shot and it's going to be $3500 to fix it. I just put $1700 into it a month ago for struts, tires, and other regular maintenance. I feel like I can't just cut my losses and run 'cause to buy another reliable used car that will get me to Virginia for grad school in June and through the next three years while I'm there is going to be more than I can afford. Once I get there I can pretty much park the car as I'll be living on campus, but right now I'm just heartsick.

Nella
4-29-12, 2:25pm
Is it really the 29th? I've had just a handfull, well, less than a handfull of no-spend days this month. I am, however, optomistic about next month! I think all the really big expenses of April are over, and I have a good feeling about May!