PDA

View Full Version : Setting up rain barrels help needed please

razz
3-31-12, 7:45pm
I am trying to walk the talk about being energy independent and bought two large rain barrels that will go with a large 44 gal plastic drum for garden water supply.
Any suggestions for set-up etc?
TIA

fidgiegirl
3-31-12, 8:29pm
Look into diverters so you don't have to fuss with changing out downspouts come winter. We'd like to do that at this house.

Make sure you raise the barrels up off the ground, or you won't be able to get the water out.

Did you get two barrels? The barrels and the drums? Or just one?

razz
3-31-12, 8:39pm
I bought two barrels and already had the 44 gal drum on hand. They come with overflow and small taps, http://rainbarrel.ca/

Glad that you mentioned the diverter. I did a search and they are a great idea.

RosieTR
3-31-12, 11:33pm
It's possible to set the whole system up so that the overflow from one will go into the next. Whether you do this depends on what you need the water for (in reserve for drought, during certain key times of year that you know you'll need it, as an emergency backup prepper-style, as a constant supplement throughout the growing season for certain areas) and how your home/land is set up. A great resource is the Rainwater Harvesting volumes I and II, by Brad Lancaster. They go through both passive and active harvesting, and setting up various active systems. An active system is something like a rain barrel or cistern; passive systems consist of contouring the land to slow the water and let it sink in. Various different styles would be appropriate for various areas and types of plants desired. Good luck!

bunnys
4-1-12, 8:19am
Is rain water clean enough to drink?

razz
4-1-12, 8:35am
Is rain water clean enough to drink?

I would not take the chance. Having said that, you can use with simple chlorination, I believe. I am using the rainwater for the garden.

FWIW, living in the country, I have had to soften our well water to use an ultraviolet light for ensuring clean water. I added an RO system and the result is peace of mind, no scum in teacups and we never buy any bottled water but simply carry with us. You could possibly use an ultraviolet light for rainwater since it is so soft to start with.