PDA

View Full Version : If you found money on the elevator?

pinkytoe
4-3-12, 2:01pm
So I get on the elevator by myself this morning and spot a folded $20 bill on the floor. I guess I could have left it there but dumb me - I put it in my pocket. I am trying to figure out how to find its rightful owner as I know someone here at work or a student is missing it. What would you do?

CathyA
4-3-12, 2:37pm
Could you put a sign up in the elevator that says "If you lost something, call me at ......... and describe it", and if they say a 20 and sound honest, I'd get it back to them.

flowerseverywhere
4-3-12, 3:12pm
I found $100 bill once when I was volunteering for the red cross. It was easy, I donated it to the red cross.

If you can't find the owner by a simple method like CathyA said then I would think it was the universe telling you to donate it to some good cause.

Jemima
4-3-12, 3:28pm
I found $100 bill once when I was volunteering for the red cross. It was easy, I donated it to the red cross.

If you can't find the owner by a simple method like CathyA said then I would think it was the universe telling you to donate it to some good cause.

Twice I've found large sums of cash (eighty to two hundred dollars) on the floor in public places, and both times I've turned it in to the management. Neither place asked for my name and phone number (as the police would do) and the last time I started wondering if the employee was just going to keep it. At that point I resolved to give any lost cash to a charity except if it happened to fall out of someone's pocket right in front of me or I could otherwise easily identify the owner.

Mighty Frugal
4-3-12, 3:41pm
I would accept it as a gift from the universe. $20 isn't that much money. I would more likely try to find the rightful owner if it were a wad of cash.

I found $20 blowing in the wind years ago. I treated my friend to dinner out that night! I've also found coins and $5 bills-keep them all!

But I return all wallets I find (I think money likes me - I've found 4 wallets in my life time-either that or my posture is horrendous and I need to walk tall ;) )

I would also spend that $20 as I saw fit-not necessarily donate to charity. I already donate to charity. I would probably buy the biggest bestest ice cream cone out there:~)

Maybe I would keep it for a few days and if I heard someone lament about missing a $20 then I would return it.....but a super duper ice cream sure sounds good

CathyA
4-3-12, 3:54pm
I turned a $20 into the Kroger service desk that I had found on the floor. After I left, I wondered if that person would just keep it for themselves.... I should have commandeered the PA system and asked if anyone had lost anything. haha

Zoebird
4-3-12, 3:56pm
my building has an intranet, and i just send an email to the person who can send it to all of the offices -- which basically does what cathy says.

if no one claims it, then i consider it mine. and i do with it what i wish (which is usually NOT donating to charity).

JaneV2.0
4-3-12, 5:07pm
I found a twenty dollar bill on the floor at a takeout restaurant once and automatically handed it to the counter guy with an explanation. Dumb move.

SiouzQ.
4-3-12, 6:40pm
For awhile I would regularity find $20 bills (no other denominations) on the ground, so obvious I would be shocked that no one spotted it before me. I guess I always walk with my head down :) In a public place like that with no one around, I consider them gifts of the universe and treat them as such.

rosarugosa
4-3-12, 7:21pm
A year or so ago, I found a $5.00 bill on the walkway to the office. I turned it into the security guard at the desk, who took my name and extension. Several months later, I got a call from security telling me the $5.00 was mine since nobody had claimed it. So the security folks at my place all did the right thing :) It was December at that point, so I put it in a SA kettle. It made me feel good.

CathyA
4-3-12, 8:58pm
When I find money on the ground, I also wonder if I'm on camera, and its a test!

jennipurrr
4-4-12, 9:24am
So I get on the elevator by myself this morning and spot a folded $20 bill on the floor. I guess I could have left it there but dumb me - I put it in my pocket. I am trying to figure out how to find its rightful owner as I know someone here at work or a student is missing it. What would you do?

I found money outside my office once and I notified the main reception area. They sent out an email about it, vaguely stated of course, and no one claimed it so I got to keep it. I don't think I even considered donating it to charity, so now I am feeling guilty, LOL.

pinkytoe
4-4-12, 12:01pm
When I find money on the ground, I also wonder if I'm on camera, and its a test!
Funny but this was my first thought too. I mentioned to the receptionist that I had found money and where and to let me know if anyone asked about it. I will keep it in my locked desk drawer for a few weeks and then maybe just leave it somewhere for someone else to find.