PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found today!

CathyA
4-3-12, 8:38pm
2 luna moths. Its hard to see, but there's another one facing the obvious one. I think they're mating. Ain't nature grand? (except for invasives, that is). haha
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/Catherine50/IMG_7869.jpg

early morning
4-3-12, 8:57pm
Oh I love luna moths. Haven't spotted one for ages. I like tobacco moths too, and the hummingbird ones. And cecropias. Neat! And good eyes!! They do look like leaves - (is that the dreaded oriental honeysuckle bushes they are on?? that stuff is EVERYWHERE! Thankfully sheep eat it...)

CathyA
4-3-12, 9:00pm
LOL early morning........YES!! That's the horrible honeysuckle. Our entire property is over-run with it. But.......if luna moths like it, maybe I should hate it a little less? haha

daisy
4-3-12, 9:02pm
Beautiful photo!

CathyA
4-3-12, 9:23pm
Thanks daisy.
Early morning.........I really like the hummingbird moths too. Did you know that the tomato hornworms turn into them? Here's a pic of one of the moths I got last year. I forget exactly which one this is.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/Catherine50/IMG_4679croppedandsharpened.jpg

Float On
4-3-12, 11:18pm
Beautiful photos of two of my favorite things! Had no idea the beginings of the hummingbird moth.

iris lily
4-3-12, 11:23pm
Those luna moths are stunning, thanks so much for posting.

rosarugosa
4-4-12, 4:45am
Beautiful -thanks for the great photos!

peggy
4-4-12, 8:25am
Beautiful! I've only seen a Luna moth once. They are huge!

CathyA
4-4-12, 8:47am
I see about one every two years. I couldn't believe I found 2 at once! I don't know how long they were in that position already, but I went out 3 hours later and they were still there. I talked with a butterfly expert and she said that was normal and then after dark, they separate and the female goes and lays eggs. I think their lifespan is pretty short. Maybe this early spring will give us lots more butterflies this year. I've planted several bushes that are host to different kinds. I planted a couple paw paws, in hopes of attracting zebra swallowtails, but I'm thinking this might be too far north. Oh..........and last evening DH and I were sure we heard the hum of a hummingbird! The never get here before the first week of May......so we're a month ahead.

Nella
4-4-12, 9:48am
Wow! Great pics. I don't think my camera could get that close...

CathyA
4-4-12, 9:49am
Thanks Nella. I used a macro lens.

Florence
4-4-12, 9:50am
How beautiful nature is when we take the time to just look!

jania
4-4-12, 9:55am
Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. Isn't it wonderful what can be found in our own backyards when we take the time to look?

puglogic
4-4-12, 10:10am
Gorgeous, CathyA - made my day!

Gregg
4-4-12, 10:25am
Luna moths are so beautiful!

KayLR
4-4-12, 5:23pm
Awesome shot, CathyA! thanks for sharing!