PDA

View Full Version : "other women hate me for my lovely looks"

mira
4-5-12, 2:56pm
Here in the UK, a woman named Samantha Brick has been ripped apart by thousands of derogatory comments made by people over the last few days in response to an article she wrote about how difficult it is to be beautiful: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124246/Samantha-Brick-downsides-looking-pretty-Why-women-hate-beautiful.html

After causing such uproar amongst readers, she came back with this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2124782/Samantha-Brick-says-backlash-bile-yesterdays-Daily-Mail-proves-shes-right.html

While I think the premise for her article was insipid (but hey, it's the Daily Mail, which is not renowned for insightful, intelligent articles...), some of the comments were so vile and hateful that I really feel terrible for her. I can't believe the amount of insensitivity it has provoked. Part of me thinks it's all part of some elaborate publicity stunt...

Any thoughts?

Mighty Frugal
4-5-12, 3:23pm
I agree with the comments - she is not very attractive. Her face is not symmetrical which is one of the key components to making someone 'beautiful'

Being a tall thin blonde will always attract attention but her face isn't what I consider good looking-she is average.

I too find her article insipid and even her rebuttal-she is lost in her own cloud of self love

When you decide to pen an article like this you better damn well be sure you look like Nefertiti before you begin. All others will be tarred and feathered

Jemima
4-5-12, 3:29pm
Without all the heavy duty makeup, she'd fade into the crowd. I think she's quite ordinary looking. Maybe other women dislike her because she's conceited and arrogant.

puglogic
4-5-12, 3:40pm
Like it or not, one of the unspoken rules about beauty seems to be, "you're not allowed to talk about yourself being beautiful." The mainstream internet is a cesspool of resentment, with a ton of small-minded people in their closed little lives lashing out viciously at things they object to, from the safety of anonymity. She should not be surprised at a response like this, disturbing as it is.

catherine
4-5-12, 3:48pm
Well, it's a typical Daily Mail article. Of course they knew people would jump all over it. I don't blame the subject at all.. it seems she was just reporting what it's like to be tall, blonde, and attractive. (I think she's reasonably nice looking). Kind of a peek into how the "other half" lives. God knows no one has paid for my movie tickets, unless I was related to them.

Whenever I want to feel despair over the human race I read comments following internet articles. I guess the anonymity brings out the unbridled meanness of people. In fact, I've often been glad I've had the SLN safe haven to retreat to--we have our moments on this forum but nothing like the horrible, insensitive discussions out there in the mainstream!

Mighty Frugal
4-5-12, 3:52pm
Like it or not, one of the unspoken rules about beauty seems to be, "you're not allowed to talk about yourself being beautiful." The mainstream internet is a cesspool of resentment, with a ton of small-minded people in their closed little lives lashing out viciously at things they object to, from the safety of anonymity. She should not be surprised at a response like this, disturbing as it is.

I see nothing wrong with people acknowledging that they are better looking than average but she is not. Had she truly been a stunningly attractive women I highly doubt she would have received all these comments.

cattledog
4-5-12, 4:42pm
The premise of the article may have worked if she looked like Gisele Bundchen, but I don't see it.

creaker
4-5-12, 4:48pm
I see nothing wrong with people acknowledging that they are better looking than average but she is not. Had she truly been a stunningly attractive women I highly doubt she would have received all these comments.

Which is probably why they ran the article. I didn't see any original pictures, but this photographer is either a very poor one or definitely not going for stunning in that shot.

IshbelRobertson
4-5-12, 6:09pm
This woman seems to have been used as a freelance for the Daily Mail (not a paper that anyone I know would give any kudos to!) - she has written a couple of other, controversial articles (according to a report I read somewhere) - seems to me that the DM use her to provide articles which will court controversy - and that they pay her for those sort of articles.

IMO? She's not pretty. She is average looking. The fact that she seems to believe she's pretty is a self-delusional belief, but some of the vitriol that people have expressed? Sad.

Zoebird
4-6-12, 5:15am
i have several takes on the matter.

1. Jealousy

The reality is that people get jealous over all kinds of stupid things -- myself included. Whenever this woman encountered problems in her work life, it may not have been about her appearance -- she might have simply assumed that. It may have been from any number of things.

In talking with a friend of mine (great guy) about some of my past experiences and not knowing what the deal was, he said that he suspects it was two things: 1. they were intimidated by my ability/talent/skill; and 2. i'm pretty damn direct in my opinion. if I think something isn't great, I'll tell them "I think that you need to work on the following 72 areas." He says it's like skilled knife work. You are cut precisely with no bones about it. LOL He's right, too. This kicks up all kinds of resentments and frustrations for people -- and can make it difficult to work with me. And hence, I get fired.

or, it could be my good looks, seeing as I'm blond, tall, smile a lot, and more attractive than the lady in the picture if I do say so myself. :)

But I think that always defaulting to "she doesn't like me because I'm attractive" is. . . not being clear about the whole picture of myself? an excuse perhaps to not have to take responsibility for my knife skills?

2. I wouldn't necessarily assume that people are nice to her because she is so beautiful.

I figure that I'm not that pretty. I think it's because of my life experiences, and in part because i don't put a whole lot of stock in my appearance. My husband says I'm very pretty, and other people have said so as well, but I've focused more on cultivating my intellect and "person" than on cultivating my looks. My husband says it's refreshing that I don't "trade on" my looks.

Nevertheless, like this woman, I get a lot of attention.

I assume it is because I am friendly and pleasant.

I find it very important to be well mannered. To make eye contact and to smile at people. To treat others very generously -- giving them attention in my day to day life. I hold doors for people, smile at them, will pay bus fare if need be, hold bags for them while they organize their luggage, or whatever else may need to happen. I tend to strike up conversations with strangers, and I try to treat people very well in general.

People appreciate this behavior -- both when receiving and observing it -- and i get a lot of compliments and nice treatment. I've had meals paid for, coffee/tea/fluffy for the kid purchased, been upgraded to first class on flights, etc etc etc.

or it could be because I was pretty.

But I suspect it was because I was. . . you know. . . nice.

3. Expressing Self-Opinion vs Narcissism

I don't know if this woman is vain or narcissistic. Maybe she is. I think she has a high opinion of her looks, though I assume she's pinning a lot of things on her looks that may not be because of her looks (as above). There is nothing wrong with stating "I feel pretty" or "I think I'm prettier than she is." (I actually do think that about myself. I personally found her quite plain.). But, i think it can come off as egotistical if the writing is -- as this article is -- "oh, it is SO HARD being this pretty!"

That just is whining and being vain and thats. . . really annoying.

I don't consider my looks to be any sort of burden, nor my intelligence, nor my manners or friendliness. I certainly don't consider it a burden when others buy my meal or coffee or fluffy for my DS.

And if something negative happens to me, I don't assume it is because of my "looks." I assume it must be something else -- either something that I did or something within them about which I have no knowledge and over which I hve no control. And most times, it's a combination of both.

I don't know. I think this article is weird.

I didn't read the comments.

Float On
4-6-12, 8:24am
What I thought was so funny while I was reading the article and watching her on a short video was the side-bar ads had photos of 'the really beautiful' people we're use to seeing in ads and film.

Mrs-M
4-6-12, 1:27pm
I had my husband view the link, and he says she's an average looking woman who looks as though she keeps herself looking nice. I agree.

As one reader commented, "this is a spoof, right"?

goldensmom
4-6-12, 1:45pm
It’s true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I’ve never heard of someone beholding their own beauty. I’ve never thought to assess my own ‘beauty’ or lack thereof, that chore belongs to whoever else might care to behold me.

ApatheticNoMore
4-6-12, 1:50pm
Throughout my adult life, I’ve regularly had bottles of bubbly or wine sent to my restaurant table by men I don’t know. Once, a well-dressed chap bought my train ticket when I was standing behind him in the queue, while there was another occasion when a charming gentleman paid my fare as I stepped out of a cab in Paris.

I'm not sure that's about pretty. I can clean up nice, I don't think I'm unattractive, but most of the time I "dirty down" rather than clean up, majority of time no makeup, not dressed up, and I don't make eye contact, I dont' smile, I'm not confident, I look down and I don't want to be noticed being the truly hard-core introvert that I am, and I'm short and brunette :). Men don't buy me drinks nor upgrade my tickets (though men who have gotten to know me have found me attractive). Besides I kind of think a woman over 30 becomes invisible in the land of the young anyway (the only time I ever did get noticed is when I was under 25 - and I've always looked about my age). She looks at least as old as me though. She looks pretty average to me too.

Mrs-M
4-6-12, 1:52pm
Originally posted by Goldensmom.
It’s true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I’ve never heard of someone beholding their own beauty. I’ve never thought to assess my own ‘beauty’ or lack thereof, that chore belongs to whoever else might care to behold me.Yes, well said. :)

Lainey
4-6-12, 3:23pm
Related to this topic of beauty, I've found it's a minefield for women generally. Just a general discussion of female beauty brings out all kinds of emotions, as others have said, like jealousy and resentment.
But I think we have to be honest and acknowledge that humans prefer people who are physically nice-looking (symmetrical features, etc.) and there is some data that shows that those people enjoy somewhat higher salaries and a wider choice of potential mates, along with some social deference like nicer tables at restaurants or avoiding traffic tickets. In short, life can be a little easier just because of winning the gene lottery. The flip side is dealing with people's emotions around this.

ApatheticNoMore
4-6-12, 3:50pm
You have to be willing to use your looks though, that seems so alien.

those people enjoy somewhat higher salaries

until they hit 40 (at which point people become unhirable anyway, I guess, regardless of what they looked like in their youth). Even salary you have to be willing to negotiate ... I basically agreed on this salary over the phone before the first interview (because I wanted to give them anything they asked for basically - it's a recession etc.).

Stella
4-6-12, 3:58pm
That is such a weird article.

I agree that the subject of beauty is kind of a minefield, probably because women are sent the message that it is the source of their value as a person.

My little sister is truly, stunningly beautiful. She has kind of an Audrey Hepburn classic beauty about her. When we were younger we were divided up by pretty much everyone we knew as The Smart One (that would be me) and The Pretty One (that would be her), which only served to make her feel stupid and me feel ugly. It was kind of a disaster. My mother and grandmother put a lot of stock in looks and I pretty much felt like I disappeared when I hit puberty. My sister has confirmed that. She was the star and I always thought of myself as an embarassment to them.

She has had some benefits from being beautiful. People do treat her differently and it has opened a lot of doors for her, but ultimately I think it did cause her a lot of trouble too, not the way the woman in the article talks about though. When my sister turned 30 two years ago she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer. She has been through a mastectomy and is just now underoging reconstruction. She was simultaneously going through a very messy and painful divorce from a man who is a total and complete narcissist. She married him when she was young and easily swayed by glamour and money. He was interested in her beauty, but not in her as a person. She is still stunningly beautiful, but the mastectomy really took a toll on her sense of self worth and she's had to form an identity outside of The Pretty One. That would be the one positive I can see from that situation, because she really does have a lot of other great traits about her. She's smart, fun and creative, just to name a few.

On a day-to-day basis I am not bothered by my looks. I have a sweet, devoted husband who truly seems to think I'm beautiful. I'm over 30 now, so it's socially acceptable for people to judge me by my personality first and my looks later, which suits me well. I do have moments, especially when people go on and on about how pretty my sister is, that it makes me feel bad. I have to remind myself that I wouldn't trade places with her, or anyone else for that matter, for anything. I may be average looking, but I have a stunningly beautiful life filled with stunningly beautiful people (inside, where it counts, and that does include my sister) and more blessings than I can count.

cattledog
4-6-12, 4:05pm
Besides I kind of think a woman over 30 becomes invisible in the land of the young anyway (the only time I ever did get noticed is when I was under 25 - and I've always looked about my age). She looks at least as old as me though. She looks pretty average to me too.

I was cleaning out some old folders the other day and I came across some pictures of me when I was in my mid-20's that I haven't seen in years. Whoa- my 40 y.o. self thinks I looked pretty good! I wish I'd known that then! :)

herbgeek
4-6-12, 4:09pm
I was the smart one and my sister the pretty one too. She's tall and thin and rather striking (think: a taller version of Reba McIntyre). I recognize now as an adult that I'm not ugly and my sister has realized that she isn't stupid. :laff: I think its been harder on her than me, particularly as she has aged - she'll be 57 shortly. It's harder to get that special treatment after a certain age, although my sister tries harder now, wearing short skirts and the like, and increasing the amount of flirting she does. She's really freaked out about the signs of aging in a way that I'm not. When you're not beautiful to start with,not being able to get by on your looks is no big deal since you are used to it. Whereas I can be smart well into my 70's ideally before beginning my decline. ;)

Gregg
4-9-12, 9:09am
Part of me thinks it's all part of some elaborate publicity stunt...

Any thoughts?

That is exactly how I treat almost any "news" from sources such as the Daily Mail (or MSNBC or CBS or Fox...). It's just easier to start out like that rather than jump through all the hoops and end up there anyway.

ApatheticNoMore
4-9-12, 11:44am
That is exactly how I treat almost any "news" from sources such as the Daily Mail (or MSNBC or CBS or Fox...). It's just easier to start out like that rather than jump through all the hoops and end up there anyway.

Yea, but I don't think we have much quite like this in the U.S.. I slam the U.S. media real hard but that's for all that they don't report, which is enough of a crime for something calling itself media. But just deliberately fostering cruelty toward particular people not in the public eye (not politicians and not something like "the country of Iran" or something - that's bad but it's not apples to apples) is just hmm ... not sure we have anything like that.

Really was amazingly how cruel people were to this person, a witch hunt. And they all are self rightously cruel, she deserved it because she was arrogant or unjustifiably arrogant and because she wasn't attractive enough (as if even the stars are always without all the botox and fillers and surgery and even then sometimes photoshop etc.). No, cruelty like that is a far worse than a bit of excessive (even if undeserved) pride which is a minor sin really. Because see the media thing may be entirely fake, and I highly suspect so, but unless all the commentary is fake, the reaction of people to the bait is very real. Yea I admit I dove deeper and deeper into this morass reading the comments and stuff - even clicked the Daily Mail, oh that is the last time from now on only the Guardian :)

Jemima
4-9-12, 11:55am
Whenever I want to feel despair over the human race I read comments following internet articles. I guess the anonymity brings out the unbridled meanness of people. In fact, I've often been glad I've had the SLN safe haven to retreat to--we have our moments on this forum but nothing like the horrible, insensitive discussions out there in the mainstream!

I'm always amazed that many people seem to spend a lot of time leaving comments. I seldom read any of them, especially when there are lots.

IshbelRobertson
4-9-12, 5:42pm
To be fair - has anyone 'viewed' Mr Brick?

I was told that Ms Brick was a freelance who offered up her article to the Daily Mail.

'nuff said'!

ApatheticNoMore
4-9-12, 5:51pm
Yea and her article history is actually totally inconsistent with the impression of a woman who views herself as the most beautiful evah etc.. I mean she may think she's fairly attractive, but the woman worries about acne, and obsesses about her weight, etc. etc.. In fact her story is rather inconsistent period. But the viciousness of the masses ganging on her is still - wow. A trashy paper printing trashy Cr@P for sure (wish they go out of business :)) but people can be so cruel.

Gregg
4-9-12, 5:58pm
To be fair - has anyone 'viewed' Mr Brick?

I was told that Ms Brick was a freelance who offered up her article to the Daily Mail.

'nuff said'!

EXACTLY!

Now if you want to see a reaction that should make you feel sick, make you cry out loud, make you wonder just what the hell is wrong with the human race then read the reactions to those fragile young girls who asked the cyber world if they were pretty or not. This Daily Mail piece is a farce, that is a tragedy.

gimmethesimplelife
4-9-12, 8:48pm
This all brings to mind a woman who was on here posting for awhile - I think she was banned or moved on - about how good looking she was and how other women were so mean to her. This was like back maybe in 2006? I don't remember her name here but I do remember there was a bit of controversy about her. It did seem like she was here to stir things up and get reactions but there were some really nasty comments directed her way too.....Amazing to me how looks are such a big deal to some people, it makes me grateful to be middle aged and off the radar screen. Rob

Spartana
4-11-12, 2:04pm
Perhaps if she slanted the article on how difficult it can be to be taken seriously in a non-traditonal male dominated job as a "tall. blonde, atrractive woman" she might have a bit better leverage in whining

JaneV2.0
4-11-12, 3:07pm
Perhaps if she slanted the article on how difficult it can be to be taken seriously in a non-traditonal male dominated job as a "tall. blonde, atrractive woman" she might have a bit better leverage in whining

Hahaha! Ditto for short, brunette, meh women. i found that you will be tested a few times, but once you pass you're in.

Fawn
4-11-12, 8:44pm
i have several takes on the matter.

1. Jealousy

The reality is that people get jealous over all kinds of stupid things -- myself included. Whenever this woman encountered problems in her work life, it may not have been about her appearance -- she might have simply assumed that. It may have been from any number of things.

In talking with a friend of mine (great guy) about some of my past experiences and not knowing what the deal was, he said that he suspects it was two things: 1. they were intimidated by my ability/talent/skill; and 2. i'm pretty damn direct in my opinion. if I think something isn't great, I'll tell them "I think that you need to work on the following 72 areas." He says it's like skilled knife work. You are cut precisely with no bones about it. LOL He's right, too. This kicks up all kinds of resentments and frustrations for people -- and can make it difficult to work with me. And hence, I get fired.

or, it could be my good looks, seeing as I'm blond, tall, smile a lot, and more attractive than the lady in the picture if I do say so myself. :)

But I think that always defaulting to "she doesn't like me because I'm attractive" is. . . not being clear about the whole picture of myself? an excuse perhaps to not have to take responsibility for my knife skills?

2. I wouldn't necessarily assume that people are nice to her because she is so beautiful.

I figure that I'm not that pretty. I think it's because of my life experiences, and in part because i don't put a whole lot of stock in my appearance. My husband says I'm very pretty, and other people have said so as well, but I've focused more on cultivating my intellect and "person" than on cultivating my looks. My husband says it's refreshing that I don't "trade on" my looks.

Nevertheless, like this woman, I get a lot of attention.

I assume it is because I am friendly and pleasant.

I find it very important to be well mannered. To make eye contact and to smile at people. To treat others very generously -- giving them attention in my day to day life. I hold doors for people, smile at them, will pay bus fare if need be, hold bags for them while they organize their luggage, or whatever else may need to happen. I tend to strike up conversations with strangers, and I try to treat people very well in general.

People appreciate this behavior -- both when receiving and observing it -- and i get a lot of compliments and nice treatment. I've had meals paid for, coffee/tea/fluffy for the kid purchased, been upgraded to first class on flights, etc etc etc.

or it could be because I was pretty.

But I suspect it was because I was. . . you know. . . nice.

3. Expressing Self-Opinion vs Narcissism

I don't know if this woman is vain or narcissistic. Maybe she is. I think she has a high opinion of her looks, though I assume she's pinning a lot of things on her looks that may not be because of her looks (as above). There is nothing wrong with stating "I feel pretty" or "I think I'm prettier than she is." (I actually do think that about myself. I personally found her quite plain.). But, i think it can come off as egotistical if the writing is -- as this article is -- "oh, it is SO HARD being this pretty!"

That just is whining and being vain and thats. . . really annoying.

I don't consider my looks to be any sort of burden, nor my intelligence, nor my manners or friendliness. I certainly don't consider it a burden when others buy my meal or coffee or fluffy for my DS.

And if something negative happens to me, I don't assume it is because of my "looks." I assume it must be something else -- either something that I did or something within them about which I have no knowledge and over which I hve no control. And most times, it's a combination of both.

I don't know. I think this article is weird.

I didn't read the comments.

Zoebird!!!! I am your twin. But I am the prettier one. ;)

Spartana
4-12-12, 12:25pm
Related to this topic of beauty, I've found it's a minefield for women generally. Just a general discussion of female beauty brings out all kinds of emotions, as others have said, like jealousy and resentment.
But I think we have to be honest and acknowledge that humans prefer people who are physically nice-looking (symmetrical features, etc.) and there is some data that shows that those people enjoy somewhat higher salaries and a wider choice of potential mates, along with some social deference like nicer tables at restaurants or avoiding traffic tickets. In short, life can be a little easier just because of winning the gene lottery. The flip side is dealing with people's emotions around this.

While it's probably true that many beautiful women (and very attractive men) recieve extra attention and perks solely because of their attractivness, there is also a down side to being good looking. Many people have stereotypical beliefs that a beautiful woman is shallow, vain, dumb bimbo, a gold digger, a sex object, helpless, useless, etc... and, if you're a blonde, lack the intelligence and skill needed to even tie your shoe laces let alone hold a job of any kind unless it's a glamourous fluff job where looks are the main thing. And the belief that beautiful women don't need to work or become educated because they can "land" a rich hubby. And the same men that shower a beautiful woman with gifts are often the ones that feel she is incapable of doing a job and needs his help. Many people form an unflattering picture of a beautiful person even before they know them. So if this lady (who I did not find particularly attractive - certainly not beautiful) had based her article along those lines as in "I'm an attractive woman and am sick of people judging me negatively based solely on my looks" then I might have more sympathy for her. As it is, I do think she comes across as shallow and vain.

Suzanne
4-15-12, 10:52am
It's only fair to note that some people don't photograph well, but are really lovely in real life, just as some people photograph very well without being anything special off film. She may also exude charm in real time which wouldn't show up in a photo.

ApatheticNoMore
4-15-12, 1:57pm
Yea, seems to look better on the videos, and everyone has good and bad looks days right?

And I don't even think she comes across as shallow and vain (well maybe a bit shallow and an unreliable narrator in general). But mostly she comes across as lacking in psychological insight but in a very very common way (dime a dozen). Like she has no insight into how her behavior may contribute to her lack of and difficulty with female friends (or at least that is what she pretends in order to write those articles and profit). She lacks insight into how she creates a situation where people treat her the way they do. But so what, you have some person with a very basic and to some degree universal flaw (anyone who complains "why do I always get treated x ...." does it), not taking responsibility for it. Big deal. The people who are mercilessly cruel to her and lack the awareness of how cruel they are even being (what they lack insight into is their sadism and bullying! they can't even see what they are doing) are way worse.

IshbelRobertson
4-15-12, 5:57pm
her latest article is about how she has such a sense of self-worth because her Daddy loved her, and she loved him.

Ho hum....

Spartana
4-17-12, 1:24pm
It's only fair to note that some people don't photograph well, but are really lovely in real life, just as some people photograph very well without being anything special off film. She may also exude charm in real time which wouldn't show up in a photo.

I don't really think that matters as in all the photos I've seen of her I wouldn't consider her beautiful - attractive maybe but not beautiful. She has made several comments like this "I have just this to say: my detractors have simply proved my point. Their level of anger only underlines that no one in this world is more reviled than a pretty woman." that lead me to believe that her personality and perspective of the world isn't very beautiful either. While I agree no one should have flung nasty comments at her, she really needs to get off the soap box and back down to the real world with the rest of us. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me, I just don't see it in her - too over done, too over dyed, too over the moon about herself!

I think part of the negative comments come from the shock of seeing her after reading the title. I really expected some completely stunning woman and when I saw an average looking person I was shocked - and not in a good way. I'm happy she has the self estime to value herself as a beautiful woman no matter what she looks like (I think all women should value their beauty at any age or size or situation) but shouting to the world that other women "revile her" because of her looks is just way over the top. I don't know of any woman who would feel that way about another woman based solely on her looks.

I remember a TV ad for shampoo back in the 80's or 90's that had actress Kelly La Brock ("Lady in Red" movie, married to Steven Segal) saying "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" and I guess when I opened this woman article I expected her to look like that. Maybe if she did look like Kelly La Brock, then less people would have critized her - but I doubt it. Makes me wonder "who" we do think of as "beautiful"? Will start a new thread on that in the open board.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=+don%27t+hate+me+because+I%27m+beautiful+ hair+ad&view=detail&mid=B42BDB9626DB232E7BB6B42BDB9626DB232E7BB6&first=0&qpvt=+don%27t+hate+me+because+I%27m+beautiful+hair +ad

Spartana
4-17-12, 1:27pm
her latest article is about how she has such a sense of self-worth because her Daddy loved her, and she loved him.

Ho hum....

UGH! It would be nice if more women got their confidence, positive self-image, and self-worth by their own achievements and accomplishments and not by how many men (including daddy) loved or desired them, and how many women revilled them.

ApatheticNoMore
4-17-12, 2:47pm
Well parental love and acceptence (from both parents not just the opposite sex parent) is known to have some influence on later self-esteem.

IshbelRobertson
4-17-12, 5:30pm
UGH! It would be nice if more women got their confidence, positive self-image, and self-worth by their own achievements and accomplishments and not by how many men (including daddy) loved or desired them, and how many women revilled them.

I agree with you, Spartana.

pcooley
4-17-12, 6:01pm
I don't know why I feel like weighing in here -- it seems like a minefield to me.

But that said, I would have to say, from a male perspective, that there is no such thing as objective beauty. Despite the stereotype of men, at least, I think what is attractive and beautiful is extremely variable. (And I would add, that I find my wife most attractive of all!)

There are supposed to be societal norms of attractiveness, but I don't think it's really so. If it was, we'd all be in trouble. I think we each respond to different types of people, and personality and who the person is has a great deal to do with it. I think it's ridiculous to rip into anyone.

However, I often disagree with social stereotypes. From my adolescence -- Bo Derek, Meh. I was always crazy about Barbara Streisand in "What's Up Doc".

Spartana
4-19-12, 1:39pm
I don't know why I feel like weighing in here -- it seems like a minefield to me.

But that said, I would have to say, from a male perspective, that there is no such thing as objective beauty. Despite the stereotype of men, at least, I think what is attractive and beautiful is extremely variable. (And I would add, that I find my wife most attractive of all!)

There are supposed to be societal norms of attractiveness, but I don't think it's really so. If it was, we'd all be in trouble. I think we each respond to different types of people, and personality and who the person is has a great deal to do with it. I think it's ridiculous to rip into anyone.

However, I often disagree with social stereotypes. From my adolescence -- Bo Derek, Meh. I was always crazy about Barbara Streisand in "What's Up Doc".

I think it wasn't so much her characterization of herself as "beautiful" that bothered me, but her characterization of other women. She said, or at least implied, that women who were less attractive then her were jealous, catty harpies who hated her solely for her good looks. I found that negative stereotyping of other women to be extremewly demeaning - and certainly a VERY unfair assessment of women who may be considered less attractive then her. I find most women, irregardless of their looks, to be supportive and friendly towards other women - irregardless of their looks!

DonkaDoo
5-17-12, 8:17pm
It annoys me that so many of us are commenting more on what the author looks like, than the words coming out of her mouth or... er... fingers.

jlroussin
6-20-12, 7:20pm
Any article that has a link and thumbnail shot about a man with a 100 pound scrotum, is one that I will immediately discount and not take seriously.

maribeth
6-21-12, 11:49am
That guy is real! But don't click on it unless you want to freak yourself out.

bunnys
6-21-12, 12:31pm
I think she's got an average face (or slightly better than average) and she's tall and thin and blonde which isn't average for anyone not living in Scandinavia.

I think the free wine and free train tickets or whatever it is they're always giving her is more about comportment than it is about her beauty. She probably is very confident and flirtatious around all men all the time and so that gets her these gifts. As an example, when she was boarding she probably saw the captain, made eye contact and smiled at him and he remembered it. No biggie. A lot of women do that all the time and as she's at least average looking she got rewarded for it. I agree with the other posters the women could hate her for a completely different reason. Unlike the OP, I do not feel sorry for this woman at all.

I disagree with the poster who said that women over the age of 30 aren't noticed. I don't think that's the case at all. I think the media tells us that women over 30 are insignificant and not sexually attractive but in practice many men notice and approach women well into their 40's and I'm sure well beyond.

I also think women over 40 are absolutely hire-able.