PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Crosswords

JaneV2.0
4-6-12, 10:06am
Late to the party as usual, I've just discovered these. They're similar to regular crosswords, but the clues are devilishly convoluted within certain rules. Clues are bifurcated: one part is a straightforward definition and the second part may be an anagram, a hidden word, or a homophone, for example. There are even clues within the clues to indicate which kind of wordplay is involved.

For example, the clue for "booze" may be "Expresses displeasure with liquor, we hear." The word hear indicates a homophone. Expresses displeasure=boos. Boos sounds like booze, a word for liquor. Good exercise for your brain if you like word puzzles.

CathyA
4-6-12, 12:24pm
Do you find these with the regular crosswords puzzles?
A couple months ago, I discovered that I get alot of pleasure doing crossword puzzles. I don't know why. I'm hoping it helps my brain a bit. I'll keep my eye out for the cryptic ones. Maybe that will help my brain even more!

JaneV2.0
4-6-12, 3:00pm
I first saw them when they were published in a bulletin I get. Then I noodled around on line and found some more. In the end, I ordered a couple of puzzle books from Amazon, specifically devoted to cryptic crosswords. And now I'm going mad trying to finish just one without peeking at the back of the book. So far, the closest I've got is within two words of getting them all right.

Kestrel
4-6-12, 3:22pm
I don't generally do crossword puzzles, but a couple of years ago I, for some reason, decided to do "easy" crossword puzzles but I put a crossword grid over the one in the book, but with no numbers or blacked out spaces indicated -- I had to figure out how long the word was, where it fit on the grid, etc. Of course, 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4, were across the top, but that's all you knew. I enjoyed doing those, and while they were pretty easy, they could be a bit of a challenge. Twenty years ago I might have been interested in the cryptic crosswords, but now I know I couldn't handle them ... :-D

JaneV2.0
4-6-12, 3:48pm
Easy with one hand tied behind your back, kind of. Mostly, I like a moderate challenge--but not the head-banging kind.

My aunt used to do some kind of freeform crossword, but I took one look and knew I'd never have the patience. I might have done the same thing with the cryptics, but once I dug into the rules a bit, I was intrigued. Once again, however, I'm down to my last two words and stymied. For the moment, anyway.

JaneV2.0
4-10-12, 3:14pm
This site has easier puzzles than some I've found:
http://www.lovatts.com.au/news/puzzles-comps/daily-cryptic-crossword/