PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a handmade skirt

mira
4-6-12, 4:49pm
I have just made a skirt with old bedding fabric (it's a 'test' one!). It's made of lightweight cotton with an elasticated waist. Because of the elastic waist, the top part of the skirt bubbles out a bit at the front and back, which isn't too flattering.

Is there any way I can reduce this bubbling effect without undoing the waistband to put in darts or something? Do any of you expert sewers out there have any tips?? Thanks in advance!

catherine
4-6-12, 5:04pm
Well, the best way to make a flattering gathered skirt is to forego the elastic and run two lines of long stitching and then you can gather it the way you want. Then you would sew on the waste band, "setting" the gathering the way it looks best.

Mrs-M
4-6-12, 5:05pm
Oh, boy, Mira... What sort of excess material are you looking to remove? (1/2" front/back)? Did you incorporate a side-seam when making? Is the waist gathering, relaxed and loose, or is gathering/puckering at a minimum?

Try something for me. Using a handful of pins (straight or safety), pin-up the skirt (while wearing it) to a point where you are happy with the fit, then carefully remove it. You should be able to get a good take as to how much excess material/fabric needs altering.

mira
4-6-12, 5:51pm
Thanks for your suggestions!

Catherine - I opted for an elastic waist simply because I am a novice and it seemed easy, hehe. I used this method (http://www.everythingetsy.com/2012/03/easy-peasy-skirt-with-pockets-sewing-tutorial), with the 1.5 x waist measurement instead of the 2x that the skirt in the photos is. Once I eventually master this, I will definitely try patterns with fixed-size waistbands.

Mrs-M - I would like to flatten out the front and back since they puff out a bit, like I've got an overly voluptuous rear end! I think the problem is that the fabric is very light so it isn't heavy enough to weigh itself down and create a nice hang. The gathering at the waist seems to be just right, as shown in the photo in the tutorial (maybe the only part I got right!!). I think if I took in the skirt, it might lose the wide A-line shape that I like. I'm very new at this so I'm open to anything.

sweetana3
4-6-12, 6:19pm
And you do not have to have elastic that goes all the way around. You can gather the front in a pleasing manner and attache to a half waistband and then use elastic for the back and this should give you the "stretch" you need to pull on.

Mrs-M
4-7-12, 2:16pm
LOL, Mira! I know what you mean, literally! I'm pear-shaped, so my bottom sort of, well, is more bum-ba, than most women's...

OK... one thing that comes to mind, how did you create the waistband/waist-line? Casing method? Or, applied elastic waistband attached to inside/outside of base? Does the bunching/puckering/poofiness look like this? (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pnX7PKSEcAg/S3Df2FQCYsI/AAAAAAAAD4Q/xhvE41sj8uU/s1600-h/16.jpg) Or is it worse?

Sweetana3. I find partial elasticized waistbands to be so uncomfortable. I need equal tension around my entire waist-section, otherwise I'm forever tugging and pulling at the waist... I've seen patterns and designs where you apply an area of elastic (3-4 inches long) at the back/front, and the remainder of the waist is a straight regular hemmed waistband. I've never tempted such, but when it comes to using elastic, I find it's all or nothing. It's OK, you can call me a fuss-nut! :)

Mrs-M
4-7-12, 4:08pm
Mira. You could (trial and error effort) pinch-and-stitch along the waistband, gathering up slack and bunch, then pulling taught and stitching (inside) to conceal your fix, to help reduce the accentuated bubble (poofy) effect.

Sometimes... in fact more times than not, there's just no getting around redoing something you're unhappy with. While there are subtle fixes one can do, nothing takes the place of getting it right, and sadly that often means starting from scratch.

How about loosening the tension of the elasticized waistband? Does that help any?

mira
4-17-12, 4:40pm
Thank you again Mrs-M! In truth, I haven't gone back to modify the skirt yet. This Friday I think I'm going to have a sewing kind of day, so I'll try to give some of your suggestions a whirl then. Hopefully it's just because of the fabric, so I won't have to worry too much about it happening again if I use proper fabric.

Mrs-M
4-20-12, 10:58am
Something to keep in mind, Mira, if you take a close look at most skirts, unless they are of the tailored/formal variety, a lot do poof-out somewhat.

I'm really looking forward to an update from you, with successful news on the alteration front. :)

Mrs-M
5-11-12, 1:49pm
Engrossing myself with all things domestic, today, and you crossed my mind, Mira. Any updates to share?

mira
5-16-12, 1:41pm
Hello! I haven't made any alterations to the skirt so far, but I did make another one in a toddler size that turned out well.

Mrs-M
5-19-12, 11:10pm
Did you do anything different related to making the toddler-sized version over the adult version? How does the fabric drape/cascade on the toddler skirt?