PDA

View Full Version : Steel Cut Oats!

SiouzQ.
1-25-11, 10:33am
I just made them for the first time, and I'm eating them right now ~ they're fabulous!
A tiny bit more effort but I think I just found a way to make breakfast more exciting!

leslieann
1-25-11, 11:53am
I've been having them, too, as a result of discussion on the old SLN forum. I tried someone's idea of putting them in the crockpot with a timer. When I get up, wonderful porridge is waiting!

They are good....

bae
1-25-11, 1:42pm
I make them in the rice cooker.

Brian
1-25-11, 2:44pm
I have converted from cooked cut oats to steel cut based muesli keeping tub on go in fridge, adding as much as I take out for then next day. Basically same stuff added as cooked, extra oat bran, fresh ground flax seeds, dried fruit and sprinkle of walnuts.
I have rediscovered taste for oatcakes made from cut oats lately. Simple yet fulfilling.

babr
1-25-11, 3:10pm
Brian could you share some of your recipes; both sound good

yes we just discovered them this year and they are good; seem much more heartier then reg. oats
Kris

SRP
1-25-11, 4:23pm
I love steel cut oats... but what I find even better is to mix them with other grains. In a big covered pot, I add 1/2 cup of each: steel cut oats, bulgur wheat, millet, and quinoa. Then four cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.

This lasts me all week. I divide it up into 1-cup portions and stick them in the fridge. I pull one out, add raisins and walnuts, heat it in the microwave, and there I have the best breakfast ever!.... That is, at least I think so! ;)

IshbelRobertson
1-25-11, 4:35pm
As a Scot, I always use what you call steel cut oats, for porridge, for baking, for skirlie and other Scots dishes, too.
I hate the 'rolled-oats' when making porridge. It should be served, with a little milk and a teaspoon of salt - hate to eat it with sweeteners or fruit!

beckyliz
1-25-11, 5:09pm
I love steel cut oats... but what I find even better is to mix them with other grains. In a big covered pot, I add 1/2 cup of each: steel cut oats, bulgur wheat, millet, and quinoa. Then four cups of water and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.

This lasts me all week. I divide it up into 1-cup portions and stick them in the fridge. I pull one out, add raisins and walnuts, heat it in the microwave, and there I have the best breakfast ever!.... That is, at least I think so! ;)

Must try this!!

Hattie
1-25-11, 9:13pm
I love steel cut oats (but they are hard to find here). I cook up a pot the night before and freeze the leftovers for another time. Just thaw, add some raisins and microwave. They are supposed to be healthier then regular oatmeal. Quite often I add cinnamon and maple extract to the oatmeal as it is cooking - YUM!

SRP
1-26-11, 9:07am
Oops. In my previous post, I forgot to say that you bring it to a low boil, then cover it, reduce the heat and let it SIMMER for 15 minutes. Hope that helps!

babr
1-26-11, 1:03pm
like your recipe srp will have to try it

Greg44
1-26-11, 1:34pm
Okay, so what is the big deal with steel cut oats. Aren't rolled oats the whole grain rolled? What makes them different and why would they taste different?

kally
1-26-11, 1:53pm
They are so much tastier and chewier. I make a big batch in the pressure cooker. Bring to boil and time 3 minutes and let cool. Good for the whole week.

Brian
1-26-11, 2:16pm
Well rolled oats are somewhat processed as they are steamed then rolled. Oxidation is an issue, as it is in cut oats, but the greater the surface area exposed the greater the issue.
For me it is about taste and texture. Similar reasons I choose Old Fashioned rolled oats over quick, which I view as glue... nutritional maybe, but not a joy to partake of.

IshbelRobertson
1-26-11, 5:04pm
Rolled oats = processed.

Steel cut = less processed!

My favourites are Alford Mill oats. I use their pinhead oatmeal for baking and the bigger oats for porridge.

Here's the site for Alford http://www.oatmealofalford.com/

Tiam
1-26-11, 9:50pm
But beware Greg, I've said before here, that as a single consumer of oats....just me that is, I found it frustrating. I couldn't cook the steel cut oats to the creamy texture so touted on an average work morning. I want fresh,not pre prepared and reheated oats, and getting a single serving ready in the morning before work wasn't working for me. I wish it did. But I've resigned myself to old fashioned rolled which actually cook before I have to leave in the morning.

Brian
1-27-11, 12:54pm
If you are up to it Tiam... at another time, get a finer milled oats. As example Bobs Red Mill sells diff options to illustrate.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/steel-cut-oats.html would be simple cut groats great for steaming or those of us who really LIKE toothiness in our porridge or muesli.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/scottish-oatmeal.html is milled finer so will make porridge creamy and quick yet retain good reasons you are making this.
I soak my cut groats overnight but I would not have to if finer cut oats.

I have used both products above but as they are relatively expensive vs bulk or cutting the groats myself they are back ups.
Pinhead oats are a better option for texture if I wanted creamy as Ishbel suggests in her post, for my tastes. If you were to only give cut oats ONE more chance Tiam... I would go for even finer mill of above link available every food store I know of.

Tiam
1-27-11, 11:16pm
I think I'll have to try that. I think I just got Scotch oats and just couldn't finish the stuff because I could never get it soft enough. But I got it bulk, which was nice so that I didn't have too much. It's just for me after all.

AnneM
1-29-11, 4:39pm
I'm confused. What is the difference between oat groats, pinhead oats, steel cut oats, and Scottish oats. How long do you cook each? thanks

IshbelRobertson
1-29-11, 5:43pm
Steel oats is the non-processed type. Pinhead and other grades are the finest milled and less -milled types of oats. How long you cook? Depends on the type and recipe!

Greg44
2-3-11, 7:52pm
I bought a small amount from the bulk bin - and probably didn't cook them long enough - about 15 min and they were still pretty chewy - and certainly made a mess on the stove! I have more that I can cook up, maybe the night before and re-heating is the best way to go, or it is the back to quick oats for me! Time is too short in the a.m. packing lunches, running, showering, reading the paper,etc. 5:00 a.m. sometimes just isn't early enough! :(

SoSimple
2-3-11, 8:25pm
Oh, no, no, no! Greg, to cook steel cut oats you need about 30-40 minutes. Or try soaking them overnight and then blasting them in the microwave. I always cook mine with soy milk (yes, I know, not the correct way at all), and I do them on the stove top, so, no, I don't eat them during the week. They're not fast food, I'm afraid, but they are very good. :)

Greg44
2-4-11, 12:22am
Thanks SoSimple -- I knew I must be doing something wrong -- as everyone keeps raving about them and hmm it just wasn't doing anything for me! I will give it another go!

The little sign on the bulk bin said to cook for 15-20 minutes. >:(

Brian
2-4-11, 2:13pm
Signs tell fibs... have seen same direction on whole groats and fine milled oats... HAH ... leading people astray.

nswef
2-4-11, 5:03pm
I try to cook them after dinner, then microwave them in the morning- boil water, pour in oats ( on stove) stir until it comes to a boil again, let boil 2 or 3 minutes, put the lid on, turn off the burner ( keep an eye on it until the burner is cool or it WILL boil over!) or take it off the burner- let sit until the water is absorbed and put it in the refrigerator. I heat a bowl of them in the microwave ( 1 1/2 minutes at 10 power) add butter and honey. I love them.

Tiam
2-5-11, 1:07am
I guess I'm just picky. I just have to have any kind of hot cereal fresh from the pot. NOT reheated. It's just not the same. I too have a problem with trying to cook a single serving for 40 minutes. But I'm willing to try it again with a finer grain.

IshbelRobertson
2-5-11, 5:42pm
I've never cooked Scottish oats for 40 minutes! I soak overnight and then bring to a rolling boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked! 40 minutes would turn them into glue, in my experience!

Hattie
2-6-11, 12:06am
My recipe: 1 cup steel cut oats, 4 cups water, generous sprinkling of cinnamon and some maple extract if desired

In a pot, mix the oats and water. Bring to a boil and cook on medium heat (stirring frequently with a wooden spoon) until most of the liquid has been absorbed (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat. Cover the pot with a lid and leave overnight on counter. Next day put desired amount of oatmeal in a bowl. Stir in some raisins. Cover with a paper towel and microwave 2 minutes. Stir and microwave again for about a minute or until hot. Serve with milk and brown sugar. The leftover oatmeal can be frozen in serving size portions. Thaw overnight and heat as above in the microwave.

loosechickens
2-6-11, 2:44am
I've just found it easiest to cook them in the Sun Oven (or any conventional oven at about 300-325 degrees) in a covered casserole dish, just about like brown rice, except about 3-4 parts of water to 1 part of oats, instead of 2 to 1 like brown rice. I bring the water to a boil, stir in the oats, put the lid on the casserole pan and pop in the oven for about an hour. Perfectly done every time. And no stirring or any attention needed while cooking.

In the morning, you can heat up easily in the microwave, or in a double boiler on top of the stove. If they are really thick, you can even add a bit of water and heat on the stovetop, stirring constantly (takes about two minutes).

softweave
2-6-11, 12:35pm
I use quick cook steel cut oats to get fresh cooked steel cut oats quickly. Trader Joe's brand is an affordable choice. The cereal has a lot of texture without being extremely chewy.

I microwave 3/8 cup (2 oz) of oats with 1 cup of water in a high sided bowl for 4-5 minutes to get a non-runny consistency. Recently I started cooking 1/4 cup of quick cook oats with 1/4 cup of Country Choice Multi Grain hot cereal (rye, barley, oats, wheat), which is less messy and also good.