PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating a Starting Wage

Cypress
4-12-12, 9:03am
Perhaps one month ago, I spoke to this forum on the reality of accepting a new job and finding the workload to be feather light. I have spoken with the managers, we all agree I have strong skills and need to be engaged. I was hired as the person to manage clinical rotations. The pay rate is good, the benefits are mediocre and the staff in general are wonderful to be with. I believe I have been mislead on several occasions, during the interview process I specifically asked was this a job with high activity, student involvement, etc….Yes, Yes, yes, here I am and it’s yes but maybe a year away. I specifically asked HR and my current bosses about parking as this is an inner city campus. Yes no problem, plenty, fine…the reality is there is a fee of $40 per month. I could site several other small but significant misrepresentations of facts that leave me wondering what is the deal.

I have been looking around and was called in for an interview at a nearby college where I previously worked. I have the knowledge, education and experience to walk right in and take over management of a small dept office which is what the job entails. All my skills would be put to use from the first day. The benefits are wonderful with 10% contribution to retirement with an employee 5% match. Four weeks vacation, banking of sick time, opportunity to continue education, liberal environment, etc….I was employed there for eight years and left to take a higher salaried position. I have learned over the course of ten years it was a healthy work environment for me. There is a strong philosophy of social justice which is most comfortable to be around. As I am 50 and will most likely be working until I am 70, this job offers that long term secure potential.

What’s the problem? The starting salary is at best $14 per hour. I am currently earning $19. A $35K salary is best for my situation. I am a single woman maintaining a home and all that comes with it. I am about to replace my heat and hot water system as it is aged and inefficient.

I will call today and confirm the interview, I want this job but I cannot rationalize that big a step back in pay and be able to thrive. Has anyone skill in negotiating a better starting wage?

IshbelRobertson
4-12-12, 10:29am
I have done so, on occasions - but not always successfully due often to set-in-stone pay scales, with little or no room to manoeuvre!

The benefits at the other place seem to outweigh the loss of 5 dollars an hour. If you take into account the sick pay, pension contribs etc, surely that would go some way to mitigating the losses?

iris lily
4-12-12, 11:17am
You can always negotiate and it is wise to do so, but in this job environment there may well be 3 people they want to hire, 2 of which will work for the salary they are offering. Starting today.

JaneV2.0
4-12-12, 11:28am
As an aside, I'm appalled at how little people are being paid for high-responsibility jobs requiring advanced credentials.

ApatheticNoMore
4-12-12, 11:33am
I will call today and confirm the interview, I want this job but I cannot rationalize that big a step back in pay and be able to thrive. Has anyone skill in negotiating a better starting wage?

yes I've done so before, not now though. I'd probably wait until after the interview when they actually make a hiring offer. I've done so from the position of the wages/benefits I already had at a current job, though I'm not sure it matters (you could bring up that you already earn more and don't bring up the fact that the benefits are less - but really it's probably best to focus instead on what you have to offer when arguing for a higher starting wage). It is risky in this market (IMO it's also contains a certain amout of risk not to, if the wage just continually makes you want to look for another job after you have taken one!).

puglogic
4-12-12, 12:12pm
Cypress, I would certainly try to negotiate after proving to them that you are absolutely the best fit for the position. If they will not or cannot negotiate, I'd explore the mathematics of this position a la Your Money Or Your Life, adding up things like driving distance/gas cost, parking, pension, etc. to see if you can't get the numbers to align a bit better. Or perhaps you can negotiate regular performance/pay reviews, or other benefits that are useful to you. It sounds like a perfect position. I too am appalled at the pay scale...a shame.

Cypress
4-12-12, 12:27pm
As an aside, I'm appalled at how little people are being paid for high-responsibility jobs requiring advanced credentials.

This is an apt observation. The position requires a BA, several years exp, website know-how, high customer service skills, be the best for less. This institution did give step raises yearly which amounted to almost $1 per hour. I also completed my BA and 1/2 a graduate degree here. I did not pay any tuition.

I have a friend I have brunch plans with Sunday, she is still an adjunct teacher at this school and will be a good sounding board on what to do next. I would take a set back of about $143 per week. That's why I am hesitating and uncertain about what to do.

I live in Massachusetts which isn't the cheapest state to live in. My gas was $3.83 per gallon yesterday. Even my thrifty little Corolla is struggling to keep things in balance. If I had to replace it, what with a mortgage of $800 a month, I may put myself in such a corner I'd have a nervous breakdown. I want to go and than again I can't sacrifice my wellbeing.

herbgeek
4-12-12, 2:33pm
Another thing you might consider in your negotiations is to ask if they can rate this job at a higher level eg. Principal level goddess versus senior level goddess. This may be useful particularly if you near the end of the existing range for this position. I too am appalled that they would offer this little for a position that requires a bachelor's degree.

Cypress
4-12-12, 2:43pm
This forum is a wonderful resource if only to be a sounding board to work out concerns.
I put together simple numbers that represent my life style. These are mostly fixed monthly costs.
Mortgage $800
Electric $50
Car Ins. $50
Home Ins $40
Car Gas $80
Water Bill $20
Cable bill $23
This group alone totals $1063 as a bare bones budget. Not included is food, savings, auto maintenance, shoes, clothing, gardening, pet care and Oil heat savings budget (about 350 gallons each year) I do not have room in my little house for a roommate (700 square feet). Nor do I have the energy or time anymore for a 2nd job. I love my house and garden and lifestyle in general. Everything would be in jeopardy if I dared accept this wage.

I am conservative with resources by choice. On the base salary of $14 it would be irresponsible of me to take the job.

I did set the interview time for 11 am next Wednesday. This is for a prestigious Dept in a well known small university. I will present myself as I am with dignity and a desire to have the job.
I applied for a high level executive assistant to the President position at another local college. They asked for desired salary, I put down $39K which is reasonable. I never heard from them.
I have tried and tried for years to break into a higher level of salary.

JaneV2.0
4-12-12, 2:59pm
Jobs traditionally held by men (if there are any in your field) will pay better. I peg my financial independence directly to having worked at one.

During my badly timed transition from IT tech to technical writer, i was looking at going from $22 an hour stringing wire to $35 an hour (contract) editing jobs. I don't know if tech writing jobs have rebounded at all, but that might be something to look into--especially if you can cite experience in that area.

ApatheticNoMore
4-12-12, 5:48pm
Everything would be in jeopardy if I dared accept this wage.

Then ask for more, stress your qualifications, go for it (but first ace the interview :)). Look it would be one thing if you were unemployed and desperate for a job, as it is you just have a job that is less than you'd like it to be, but that still puts you in a position with some room to look around.

Lainey
4-12-12, 10:28pm
Jobs traditionally held by men (if there are any in your field) will pay better. I peg my financial independence directly to having worked at one.

Ditto - think working for/with engineers vs. working for/with teachers - the higher-salaried fields seem to bring everyone else a little higher too.

jp1
4-13-12, 2:15pm
i agree with the others. Definitely ask for more, but wait until they've offered you the job. At that point you can explain that 1) you exceed the required skills in areas a, b and c. , 2) you've worked for the institution before and are a known (and desired) commodity and 3) You're currently making $19/hour and while you'd really really rather work here you simply can't afford to take a 25% pay cut to do so. They may not be able to meet you all the way (and if they're any good at negotiating they won't) but if you could get them up to $17 you'd be pretty close.

Cypress
4-20-12, 2:43pm
So far so good, I have a meeting w/the HR Director next week and a 2nd interview with the Dept. The new moon rises on Monday so the energies are in my favor. Let's see how persuasive I can be.