PDA

View Full Version : I took back my Android phone and got a simple no fuss phone~

oceanfamily
4-16-12, 10:01pm
I was looked at kind of strange when I took back an Android phone to get a no fuss phone meaning without all the bells and whistles. The manager was nice and stuck to his word by not giving me grief if I decided to take it back within the 14 day period,but still was looked at kind of strange when I actually did bring it back. I thanked him for sticking to his word. But am I the only one that's done this? I just think that it's rediculous that the phone company can't/won't bundle internet services for the whole family...for 30 dollars extra a line for internet..that's crazy. Communication these days cost way too much! I didn't use the internet service on the Android so I guess I'm just old fashioned for being just in my late thirties lol.

JaneV2.0
4-16-12, 10:35pm
I bought one, played with it, and sent it back also. I had a decent flat-rate plan but I really couldn't justify having one--it's not like I'm a woman on the move or anything. I'm happy with my ten dollar flip phone. For now, anyway.

sweetana3
4-17-12, 4:09am
A friend's husband took his back. He got a simple cell phone for the use he needs for business.

Rosemary
4-17-12, 6:53am
I still use a very basic cell phone (no land line), and so do several of my friends. A gadget that costs more every month, is very costly to replace, and requires charging more often because it uses more power simply does not appeal to me.

leslieann
4-17-12, 9:46am
I dropped my cell phone service last August, have been without since then and recently started struggling with the inconvenience mostly because of some changes in my work. So last week, I, too, got an android phone and I actually LOVE it. I am not sure that I need all the convenience of the thing, and I struggle to sort out what is useful and what is just fun, but I have to say that I like it a lot more than I expected to.

So I can no longer like myself liking not having a cell phone (remember that thread about liking or disliking one's own likes?) and I realize that NOT having one was a status-y thing for me ("See? I don't have a cell phone and I don't watch tv....I must be morally superior or something.....") but nope, I am morally bankrupt like everyone else and I really like my phone.

(Funny, isn't it, the peculiar feelings that get attached to behaviours or to objects? I have to laugh at myself.....that's the only sane response...)

ETA: Also, the phone is a response to a need in my business and so it is a business expense and somehow it is easier for me to spend the money that way....this is not rational, though, and I know it. Another good reason to laugh, I guess..:-)

loosechickens
4-17-12, 3:11pm
I'm another who dragged my heels, still using an old flip phone that in order to text, I often had to hit the key four times to get the letter I wanted, and now have an iPhone, and am MADLY in love with it.

It's practicaly replaced my laptop most of the time....some days I don't even get ON the laptop. It's so easy to access my email and the internet in a few seconds, rather than having to start up the laptop, and often I am on and off, without the time waste that happens with the laptop where once I have it up and running, I tend to hang out on it for several hours. With the iPhone, I do what I need to do, and I'm off, knowing that if something else comes up, I'm only a second away from being back on again.

I've pretty much quit using the dictionary that lives beside my chair, I find myself picking up my iPhone while reading, to look something up on Wikipedia for more background information on an unfamiliar reference, etc.

I was never one that carried my cell phone around with me. I might have it in the car if I was out, in case of emergency, but seldom carried it. Now, my pocket is never empty, hahahahaha. My iPhone is my ever faithful companion.

Could I live without it? Of course. I could live without running water, electricity, and most other conveniences. I don't need my iPhone to be happy, and if it went away, I would adjust easily. But......that said, while I have it, boy do I like it.

The one thing I've practically NEVER used my iPhone for is to make or receive a phone call. I hate to talk on the phone, but I do text, and do email on it, and use it for a hundred other things. I think I've only received a couple of calls (from my sweetie), and I only text with a few people, but all the other stuff I use it for......priceless.

ApatheticNoMore
4-17-12, 8:32pm
Well I'm really not particularly motivated to aquire a cell phone bill just so I'm not statusy (give me career reasons though, then your talking my language).

JaneV2.0
4-17-12, 9:55pm
Yeah, with the ten dollar flip phone I just pay for minutes once a year--it works out to less than a hundred dollars. When/if I get a smart phone, it's going to have to replace either local or long distance service to make it worthwhile.

ETA: I don't think you can get any status from a smart phone anymore. Every kid i know has one.

gimmethesimplelife
4-17-12, 10:39pm
Gotta say I called it quits with Verizon as my phone broke down and I had the insurance plan they offer so I was given a nice shiny new Android phone as a replacement - and was not told I needed a data plan! And not given an option for a simpler phone with no data plan needed. So I dropped them and switched to Cricket where I get unlimited talk and text for under 40 a month and I am very happy with that! I love how simple my phone is and feel very much like I have in fact "upgraded". Rob

iris lily
4-18-12, 12:18am
OP I am sorry that you are not a better consumer, I wish you took to heart your role of spender. How do you expect the U.S. economy to get better if people like you don't do you part!? :)

I got a cell phone finally some months ago, a pay as you go phone, but over the weekend I discovered that the time had run out. doh.

oldhat
4-29-12, 8:57pm
For the last few months my old flip phone, which I got in 2007, was clearly on its last legs, and I toyed with the idea of upgrading to a smart phone. But as I started shopping for one I balked, for several reasons. First there was the cost--I figured I might as well get something up to date, so you're talking about $300 for a recent model. Then, to get a service package with a data plan is another $100 a month, or close to it. So, with a two-year contract, you're looking at close to three grand--for a phone! Instead, I went out and bought the cheapest flip phone I could find ($15), popped my SIM card into it, and I'm good to go.

The real reason, though, for my not getting a smartphone at this time is that I just don't need one. I only use my phone a few times a week. I haven't gotten into texting yet (though I can see its usefulness). I would never want to watch TV or a movie on a phone screen. I don't need a media player--I have an iPod, which I use almost exclusively to listen to NPR podcasts. Some features, such as GPS, would be nice to have, but again I know I would rarely use them.

The whole subscription model the phone companies use is really a racket. The technology is easily available for them to charge people on a per-use basis, but instead they want to bamboozle you into paying a flat fee every month for services they know you likely won't use. I understand you can get cell phones that you pay for on a per-call basis, but I really want to keep my current phone number, which all my friends and family know. So the cheap flip phone seems like a good compromise for now.

Tradd
4-29-12, 9:02pm
There are prepaid smart phones. Virgin Mobile seems to get good reviews. Tracfone seems to not have them, although its sister company Net 10 does, as well as Straight Talk from Walmart. $45 a month or do for unlimited everything.

SteveinMN
5-3-12, 10:06pm
I really want to keep my current phone number, which all my friends and family know.
oldhat (and others), you do not always need to get a new number with a new carrier. Years ago, the FCC mandated "number portability", which lets you transfer your number to another phone company. The number on my T-Mobile phone was previously on a few different Verizon phones, and, before that, was my Qwest (!) wireline phone number.

If anyone is tempted by moving to a pay-per-call phone, ask the vendor about "number portability" and see what they say.

SteveinMN
5-3-12, 10:12pm
There are prepaid smart phones. Virgin Mobile seems to get good reviews. Tracfone seems to not have them, although its sister company Net 10 does, as well as Straight Talk from Walmart. $45 a month or do for unlimited everything.
It's also possible to buy used phones, from craigslist or kijiji, independent phone stores, and even on-line. This seems to work better with T-Mobile and Page Plus; much less so with Verizon and Sprint. That still leaves the data-plan cost, though.