4-18-12, 6:10pm
short commute - about 12 feet
the boss is nice - me ;)
flexible schedule - can listen to my body clock
it's good for the health
very few meetings
no annoying co-workers
can travel to see family, and work while there
certain expenses go way down: clothing, gas, haircuts, food, stress-related medical expenses
can sit outside and work at times :cool:
can save in SEP-IRA
can buy office/computer equipment that is tax deductible
can take a walk outside and think about a project
health insurance is obtainable if you live in MA
can learn from previous self-employment adventures
can make your neighbors wonder if you are independently wealthy or what :laff:
are home to receive packages that you order
flexible dress code
can eat and snack and have tea

CeciliaW
4-18-12, 6:45pm
:thankyou: for reminding me!

puglogic
4-18-12, 7:15pm
I'm sure there is a parallel post out there in the universe with all the downsides of self-employment, but you're not going to get that from me :D

I can add:

I get to work with my dog at my feet all day (great since he's been sick)
I'm the only one who gets to decide how much money I make.
Can work in bunny slippers most of the time.
Can write off a portion of my home mortgage, insurance, utilities, and repairs with the home office deduction.
Don't have to attend any brainstoning meetings :)

cdttmm
4-18-12, 8:43pm
Yes, yes, yes! I love working for myself. :cool:

Cypress
4-24-12, 3:24pm
Would you mind sharing your profession? Is your office set up in a way you can close the door and leave it for the day? I wonder if there is a sensation that you are always at work.

My cats are lovely to behold. However, they do insist on jumping into the middle of anything if I dare focus my attention on say a book, newspaper or comp screen. They usually sit right on whatever it is.

Nella
4-24-12, 5:48pm
I can check the Simple Living forums board anytime during the day that I want without feeling guilty that I'm stealing time from my employer 'cause I am my employer. Of course, any single minute that I'm not at my computer transcribing, I'm not making any money. Maybe I better get back to work.....>8)

Life_is_Simple
4-30-12, 7:23pm
Would you mind sharing your profession? Is your office set up in a way you can close the door and leave it for the day? I wonder if there is a sensation that you are always at work.
I am a statistician who analyzes marketing data, mostly predicting who buys which kinds of products. I have a separate room for an office, and I do close the door when I am done for the day. Is there a sensation I am always at work? Not really - maybe sometimes, if I feel I'm behind on work. I might feel more separation between work and personal if I actually went out and did more personal stuff like hobbies. Actually, when I worked at bad on-site jobs, I felt a lot more of work never leaving my head when I got home. So this is a big improvement over that.

My cats are lovely to behold. However, they do insist on jumping into the middle of anything if I dare focus my attention on say a book, newspaper or comp screen. They usually sit right on whatever it is.
I will sometimes go to my bf's house for a few days, and work from there. I take breaks to play with his kitty. I feel like I get MORE work done taking little fun breaks with the kitty co-worker ;) Though one time she sat on my work papers and took a nap. I couldn't wake her up, she was too cute. ;) So I was done for the day!

Bastelmutti
5-1-12, 12:31pm
I can check the Simple Living forums board anytime during the day that I want without feeling guilty that I'm stealing time from my employer 'cause I am my employer. Of course, any single minute that I'm not at my computer transcribing, I'm not making any money. Maybe I better get back to work.....>8)

Yeah, that! :+1:

catherine
5-1-12, 12:52pm
The only obligation I have to the person paying me is the best work I can do for that project. Money is tied to the work itself, not to time worked.

I welcome work, but if I get a few days' downtime--oh well. At least I'm not boxed into a small finite number of personal/sick days. And at least during that downtime I don't have to show up and look busy.

I decide the parameters of my value proposition.

My phone doesn't ring a lot. I don't get copied extraneously on emails (for the most part).

If I decide to do something different, I won't be held back by golden handcuffs.

Gregg
5-1-12, 2:24pm
Life_is_Simple, you sound almost exactly like me. The only difference is that my boss can be an ass sometimes. !Splat!

Life_is_Simple
5-2-12, 10:48am
Life_is_Simple, you sound almost exactly like me. The only difference is that my boss can be an ass sometimes. !Splat!
You might want to have a chat with your boss about that!:laff:

puglogic
5-2-12, 11:27am

+1 ! Mine's just a little tyrant.

profnot
5-3-12, 6:32pm
The main benefit of being self employed is that the best part of my adult life (working years, 5 days out of 7 a week, best daytime hours) are spent building my portfolio, not that of someone who works less hard than I do.

Plus I really like doing my work.

Life_is_Simple
5-5-12, 1:52pm
The main benefit of being self employed is that the best part of my adult life (working years, 5 days out of 7 a week, best daytime hours) are spent building my portfolio, not that of someone who works less hard than I do.

Definitely YES to this one! Oh, and the corollary to this is, not having to do a co-worker's share of work for them.

Plus I really like doing my work.
The other thing I find is, I can CHOOSE what clients to take on and what work to do. I have had some REALLY INTERESTING projects in self-employment. Also, one can choose clients who are really into their own stuff, which makes them fun to work with.
:+1:

citrine
5-7-12, 6:05am
1) I have Mondays off...unless there is an emergency.
2) I have the most amazing clients.
3) I have the most beautiful studio in my home.
4) No emails, no "rush", and no co-worker bs.
5) I get to work on beautifying the house, restoring furniture, and arts and crafts in between clients.
6) I can give myself a raise anytime....usually after I take classes and get more CEU's!
7) I get to help people and directly see the difference the work is making on them.