PDA

View Full Version : If you love your job, do tell!

Paige
4-19-12, 12:09am
To those of you who love your job, could you share why and what you do? I know several people who are thinking of switching careers (I am also still looking for my second career) and I have two kids in college. Would love to hear about those jobs that make you want to get out of bed in the morning! Thanks.

cdttmm
4-19-12, 10:27am
Although I've been complaining about my jobs for the past few weeks, it is only a temporary annoyance. Overall, I love my jobs -- although I must admit that I'm hoping to go from having 4 jobs to 3 jobs in the near future. :~)

My primary job is working for an online media company. It's a start up and I am primarily responsible for all of the non-technical operations stuff, including finance and HR. I love working in an entrepreneurial environment and since I am a part owner I'm technically working for myself, which is fabulous. I work from home about 90% of the time, which is awesome. Some days I wish I had more face time with some of my colleagues, but most of the time I am perfectly happy to interact with them by phone, email, video chat, and social media. I get to make my own schedule, which is great. And I get to meet cool people -- it's an interesting industry.

My second job is teaching undergraduate students at a local business school. I've been an adjunct faculty member there for several years and I enjoy the students and teaching. I hate the department politics. Although I have tremendous autonomy in my classroom, I have little to no control over my teaching schedule or the courses I'll be assigned to. Some of the faculty don't treat the adjuncts with much respect as we don't generally hold doctoral degrees and they consider us to be beneath them intellectually. I may not have the same academic training, but we're teaching business students and I have more real-world business experience than all the full time faculty in my department combined so I feel like that counts for a lot. They don't see it that way. If I don't get offered classes that are convenient for me next semester, I'll be opting out even though I'll really miss working with the students (my previous career was in education and I've always loved teaching).

My third job is apprentice beekeeper -- this is something my partner and I do together. We've been beekeeping for almost a decade and although we make very little money doing it, we love it. It's also been a great way to meet new people. If my teaching job disappears, I'll spend more time beekeeping and selling honey.

Last but not least, I have two other businesses that are either in the pre-launch or just launched stage. One is a restaurant and the other is a motivational speaking and corporate training business. I'm loving both even though I'm not dedicating a ton of time to either one right now.

So, what does this tell you about me? I like other people, but I don't want to be bossed around by them. I can't deal with monotony and need things to be constantly changing and presenting me with new challenges. I am a big risk taker. :D Knowing this about myself has prevented me from accepting more traditional jobs that would have been very stable, secure, and high-paying, but that would have sucked my soul from me. I'm glad I was honest with myself about what I really value in life because that helped me to choose jobs that make me want to get out of bed in the morning (they also often keep me from going to bed at night!).

julia
4-19-12, 11:27am
I have three jobs which I love, although none is perfect.

First, I teach English as a Foreign Language at a Chinese-owned private college where most of the students are also Chinese. The students are lovely, but freely admit that they are students because the only way for them to get into the UK is on a student visa. Coming here for a few years seems to be a rite of passage - they all seem to end up going back and settling down to jobs and families rather than trying to get residence here. They are lovely, and behave very well in class, but they are not the keenest students! I have to work hard to keep them motivated, but I really enjoy my work with them.

Second, I teach English for Academic Purposes at a big independent college, where the students' main studies are in Business, Finance and Economics. I have three students in the class who are native speakers of English, and others who really need to work on their English, so I have to work hard to keep both ends of the group interested. It's a challenge, but in a good way.

Finally, I do one-to-one tuition for students preparing for exams, and proofreading for international students submitting assignments and dissertations at various universities. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I enjoy it less - it depends on how keen the students are, or how interesting the assignments are!

I've also just been interviewed for a new position training new teachers - but this will be a Saturday job, which doesn't fit in too well with my expectations of my work timetable, but very much fits my career plan, especially as I'd be self-employed.

I like variety too!

Float On
4-19-12, 11:33am
I have two jobs.
My first job is running our business and working in our studio. I play with color combinations, ship/pack orders, deal with galleries and customers. I love the creative side of it, I even like packing and shipping, I love dealing with galleries (unless they are behind on payment). I love traveling and doing art shows (currently taking a break from that)....unless there is wind and storms. Wind and glass are not a good combo. I like it that our studio is about 12 steps from the back door. I use to love my paycheck from the business, but I'm not taking one now.
My other job is part-time for our church. Love it and good pay.

sweetana3
4-19-12, 4:42pm
I worked for the IRS for 31 years. My absolute favorite job was Quality Review. It was reviewing for calculation and legal accuracy, writing legal notices, and doing extensive research. Somewhat like being a detective some times. Did not involve taxpayer contact and therefore, was not as stressful. I was a fast and happy worker. Had the job for 3 years. Lost it when I had issues with management letting errors go due to a change in policies.

San Onofre Guy
4-19-12, 5:02pm
I am a Risk Manager for a large City. I solve problems. It is very satisfying

Tradd
4-19-12, 7:52pm
As many of you know, I work in international transportation and recently added the customs broker side of it. I love it! Very interesting seeing what comes into the country, what you have to DO to get it into the country. Your finger really is on the pulse of the economy by seeing how imports are - plus what's coming in.

I get to deal with routing freight, dealing with folks overseas, obscure gov't regulations, FDA, FCC, Agriculture, steel import licenses, etc. It's like a gigantic puzzle...

It gets quite stressful and fast-paced, especially during peak shipping season (generally late spring to early fall - back to school, Halloween, Christmas). Air freight shipments are much more intense than the ocean freight I mainly do, but it's all time-sensitive stuff.

I love the problem solving bits. It's very interesting to me, something new almost every day.

The good part is that this industry does not absolutely require a college degree. Most of the folks I work with do NOT have degrees. I'm the odd one out, actually having one. Being able to do both the import transportation part, as well as the customs clearance part is extremely valuable. Even more so if you have your customs broker license (I'm working on this one). If one has abilities in Spanish or Mandarin, that would be especially helpful. A person also needs to be a self-starter, very organized, and able to work on their own, without the boss micro-managing them.

You're licensed by the feds, but you don't work for the feds. In fact, you can't even *sit* for the brokers exam unless you're 18, a US citizen, and don't work for the feds (and that includes the Reserves - although there was a court case on this last recently). You do have to be 21 before you can apply for your license.

One caveat: if someone wants to become a licensed customs broker, but has bad credit (although if this was due to things like a divorce or medical bills, there can be mitigating circumstances), a history with the law, or other questionable activities/character issues, that's not good news. Once you pass the custom's broker exam (for which people spend anywhere from 3-8 months studying for) and apply for your license, the FBI, CBP, and ICE (US Customs got put under Homeland Security when that was established) will do a very thorough background check on you - turn your background inside out and back again, along with interviewing a minimum of (currently) 6 references, pop by your neighbors, etc. It currently takes 9-12 months to get your license once you've approved, due to the extensive background check. The exam itself is very difficult. It's said by trade attorneys, who have both their law degree and brokers license, that the broker's exam is more difficult than the bar exam. And there's only a 5% pass rate for the brokers exam for first time exam takers.

But I like a challenge!:)

Bastelmutti
4-20-12, 9:32am
I am a translator, and I love it. Working for myself has been very good for me. Of course, that means times of extreme stress and long hours, but it gets balanced out with free time, flexibility, time to be with the family, take vacations, etc. I just plain like being able to do something else when I'm done with my work instead of being forced to stay in an office for a set period of time. Really this is the ideal job for me - the assignments are often very interesting; I get to use my foreign language skills on a daily basis; I am surrounded professionally with people from different cultures all over the world. The money isn't too bad, either.

catherine
4-20-12, 11:09am
I am a translator, and I love it. Working for myself has been very good for me. Of course, that means times of extreme stress and long hours, but it gets balanced out with free time, flexibility, time to be with the family, take vacations, etc. I just plain like being able to do something else when I'm done with my work instead of being forced to stay in an office for a set period of time. Really this is the ideal job for me - the assignments are often very interesting; I get to use my foreign language skills on a daily basis; I am surrounded professionally with people from different cultures all over the world. The money isn't too bad, either.

That's exactly how I feel--I'm in a different line of work (market research) but the lifestyle and the attraction to it is exactly the same. Bastelmutti, I'm a bit envious of your work! One of the things I always wanted to be was a translator. I do hire simultaneous translators when I do market research interviews internationally, and I'm always in awe of how they can just voice over in real time what the speakers are saying. What a great skill and talent.

I do like my work in market research, but sometimes I just feel it's slightly not the "right livelihood" I'd like ideally. I get a bit disgusted when I see how much money goes into influencing patients and doctors to use certain products. But at the same time, we're all probably better off for having the choice to take advantage of these treatments if we want to. However, the work itself appeals to my curiosity, my enjoyment of talking with people and asking questions, and analyzing and writing.

Zoe Girl
4-20-12, 11:53am
I work supervising before and after school programs that are paid for by grant money. I am very satisfied with that. I most every day get to go out and work directly with the kids, plus work with staff to make our programs the best. There is lots of adult interaction and problem solving, and then I just get to make up some great activities for children.

This summer I am part of a summer camp that is awesome and I am planning a weeklong theme that will go from one campsite to another. It is going to be a lot of fun, and the staff that works summer is the best.

Now I must say I struggle all the time with finances, if it wasn't for child support we would be in BIG trouble, but I do look forward to going to work each day.

Spartana
4-20-12, 12:46pm
Retired now (retired at the ripe old age of 42!!) but use to be in the Coast Guard and absolutely loved it. Loved the long months at sea, loved the variety of interesting and exciting opportunities it gave me - everything from rescue work to firefighting, law enforcement, environmental clean up, military stuff, etc.. My civilian job afterwards (environmental compliance officer/inspector) paled in comparison.

mamalatte
4-24-12, 11:52am
Love my job as an attorney representing whistleblowers who are reporting a fraud against the Government. For example, they work for a big hospital chain that is defrauding Medicare, and they blow the whistle on this behavior. If successful, the hospital must pay the $$ back to the US Treasury (plus a penalty) and the whistleblower gets a portion of the $$ returned to the Government, as a "reward." Cases take a long time -- say 4 to 7 years or even longer -- so I usually get to know the clients well. They are interesting and courageous folks. I like that I am helping to get back taxpayer dollars that were taken by fraud. Great working environment too: our law practice is very small and I work from home, so I have a LOT of flexibility and autonomy. Pay is good, although very sporadic. As in, literally no money for years, and then imagine getting several years worth of salary all at once. (I'm still getting used to managing that aspect of it).

So many lawyers just HATE their jobs, but I love mine and feel very lucky!

Float On
4-24-12, 12:33pm
Your work sounds very interesting and rewarding mamalatte.

Spartana - I've always wondered what your worst experience was in Coast Guard (storm, rescue situation, etc) and what was your most rewarding?

Spartana
4-24-12, 6:46pm
Your work sounds very interesting and rewarding mamalatte.

Spartana - I've always wondered what your worst experience was in Coast Guard (storm, rescue situation, etc) and what was your most rewarding?

Oh there are too many "sea stories" to tell :-)! Usually the worst times were also the most rewarding. Like being out at sea for days or weeks (sometimes with no sleep) in unbelievably terrible winter storms with huge waves to rescue people/vessels.

A day at the office ;-)!

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=751&d=1335313416

puglogic
4-24-12, 10:32pm
Holy shiite.

CeciliaW
4-24-12, 11:49pm
What She Said! Yikes!

Bastelmutti
4-25-12, 9:23am
That's exactly how I feel--I'm in a different line of work (market research) but the lifestyle and the attraction to it is exactly the same. Bastelmutti, I'm a bit envious of your work! One of the things I always wanted to be was a translator. I do hire simultaneous translators when I do market research interviews internationally, and I'm always in awe of how they can just voice over in real time what the speakers are saying. What a great skill and talent.

I do like my work in market research, but sometimes I just feel it's slightly not the "right livelihood" I'd like ideally. I get a bit disgusted when I see how much money goes into influencing patients and doctors to use certain products. But at the same time, we're all probably better off for having the choice to take advantage of these treatments if we want to. However, the work itself appeals to my curiosity, my enjoyment of talking with people and asking questions, and analyzing and writing.

Interpreters are amazing! Have you ever seen sign-language interpreters work? I'm in awe every time. I do less-glamorous written translation, but, like you, I just love the analysis and writing. Noble or world-saving, though? Probably not. I'm no Coast Guard member or whistleblower attorney! :) (Hats off to you two!!) I do wonder if this is "right livelihood" sometimes when I'm translating the n-th annual report for a company that may not even be around the next year. But then I am taking paralegal courses and have decided to branch out into legal translation after many years of doing financial, so I'm hoping that will be a good change of pace. Always having something new to learn is another one of the pluses of this job!

Bastelmutti
4-25-12, 9:24am
Spartana, I can't even look at that photo. I am a total land lubber!

Spartana
4-25-12, 1:46pm
Spartana, I can't even look at that photo. I am a total land lubber!

Ha Ha!! Yeah, add about 2 feet of ice coating the entire ship and us out there (attached to lifelines so we don't get swept overboard) beating it with baseball bats so we don't get top heavy and sink. Actually the worst times were probably the time when nothing was going on - just nothing for days but endless patrols at sea, doing work on the ship, often in rough weather. But that boredom is probably the same at most jobs I'm sure - you just get to go home at night :-)! But then there were the nice days too. besides the heavy work load and standing watches, it was almost like being on a cruise ship then...almost :-)!

ETA: If anyone is interested there are a few survival type books (e-books too) out there about sea rescues by the CG (I love those kind of real life survival stories!). "The Perfect Storm" is one (made a movie of it with George (yummy) Clooney and Mark (yummier) Walberg in it) and another I think is called "Fatal Forcast" which is similair to the perfect storm. However, I was stationed on a patrol boat in Maine and worked on the rescue that happened in "Fatal Forecast" and it was mega-scary stuff (100 ft seas, etc..). I haven't read the book yet so no idea if it's good or not, or if our ship was mentioned in it. Maybe I'll get it from the library today. I haven't read the perfect storm either but saw the movie.

San Onofre Guy
4-25-12, 5:39pm
Lindi,

What years were you on patrol in the Gulf of Maine? I think you told me years ago that you were based in South Portland, but I know that cutters out of there go far. I might have seen your boat at times.

catherine
4-25-12, 5:51pm
ETA: If anyone is interested there are a few survival type books (e-books too) out there about sea rescues by the CG (I love those kind of real life survival stories!). "The Perfect Storm" is one (made a movie of it with George (yummy) Clooney and Mark (yummier) Walberg in it) and another I think is called "Fatal Forcast" which is similair to the perfect storm. However, I was stationed on a patrol boat in Maine and worked on the rescue that happened in "Fatal Forecast" and it was mega-scary stuff (100 ft seas, etc..). I haven't read the book yet so no idea if it's good or not, or if our ship was mentioned in it. Maybe I'll get it from the library today. I haven't read the perfect storm either but saw the movie.

Well, my favorite Coast Guard movie moment was in Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn--one of my favorite movies ever--and the Coast Guard DID have an instrumental part in the end of that movie!!!

I did love The Perfect Storm. Great movie. DH records and regularly watches Deadliest Catch, which isn't about the Coast Guard per se, but certainly highlights the fact that being out in the open waters is not like lying on the beach! I'll definitely check out Fatal Forecast--DH and I both love stories like that--

HappyHiker
4-25-12, 6:01pm
Me! I adore my job as a freelance writer--books, anthologies, magazine articles, Web words and such...but the economy has sure made it tough to earn a living...but the joy and the hope are still there for me.

CeciliaW
4-25-12, 7:57pm
For the last 12 years I've told people I'm a potter. Oddly enough quite a few ask me if I grow pot. I never did figure that one out.

I work with a variety of materials these days including glass, leather and silver. We're about a week away from the fabulous annual Gathering of the Guilds in Portland, OR at the Convention Center May 4-6 th if you happen to be in the area. There will be pottery, glass, metal, wood, fiber and lots and lots of fabulous things made by local artisans. This is a great way to spend a day or the weekend in Portland.

Spartana
4-27-12, 5:18pm
Lindi,

What years were you on patrol in the Gulf of Maine? I think you told me years ago that you were based in South Portland, but I know that cutters out of there go far. I might have seen your boat at times.

1980 to 1983 ish (on the Cape George and then the Cape Morgan - both '95 ft Patrol boats). We usually did our winter patrols out as far as Georges Banks - sometimes further if we could refuel at sea (we had approx. 1800 mile range on one tank of fuel) - and from the Canadian Border down to Long island. Our summer patrols were in the Caribeean usually based out of Key West. Spent most of 1981 working the Muriel Boatlift out of Cuba. Unfortunately we were underway almost ALL the time so I didn't get to see as much of Maine as I would have liked, that came later, but I sure loved those Nor' easters in the winter at sea (NOT!! :-)!).

Cathrine - I haven't seen Overboard but I LOVE Kurt Russel (he's been my "crush" ever since I was a girl). Another survival at sea story (which features a cutter I used to be on but a couple of years before I was on it) is called something like "10 Hours Until Dawn" about a storm in New England where a civilian boat (maybe Bae!!) tries to rescue a small coast guard boat who was trying to rescue the a tanker. I haven't read it so don't know if it's good or bad. OK now I'll quit hogging this thread :-)!

The boys and I in Maine:

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=755&d=1335562103

Zoebird
4-28-12, 7:27am
I thought I wrote on this one. Maybe I did, who knows?

I teach yoga and run a holistic health center. I love both jobs, really. They are different and have different demands -- but they are super-fulfilling in a thousand ways.

Watching the business grow is truly amazing. Helping students on a day to day basis is truly rewarding.

I'm about to do a little expansion -- starting to teach in australia and doing webinars to support that work. psyched about it. :)

Spartana
4-28-12, 2:17pm
Me! I adore my job as a freelance writer--books, anthologies, magazine articles, Web words and such...but the economy has sure made it tough to earn a living...but the joy and the hope are still there for me.

BTW - Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading all your stuff. Haven't gotten your book yet but looking forward to it once I get a tablet/e-reader.

Spartana
4-28-12, 2:21pm
I thought I wrote on this one. Maybe I did, who knows?

I teach yoga and run a holistic health center. I love both jobs, really. They are different and have different demands -- but they are super-fulfilling in a thousand ways.

Watching the business grow is truly amazing. Helping students on a day to day basis is truly rewarding.

I'm about to do a little expansion -- starting to teach in australia and doing webinars to support that work. psyched about it. :)

I was just reading an ad for yoga retreats in Utah that are not only out doors in beautiful areas, but that you can do while floating thru millions of years old caves, climbing up to the top of arches, mountain biking on slick rock, etc... Sort of a combination of adventure tourism plus yoga plus some spiritual enlightenment. Maybe you could start something like that now that your business is growing. I bet there is a huge demand for that - especially from people who are travelling to beautiful New Zealand! Those retreats are expensive too so I bet you could make a bundle :-)! Of course you'd have to supply the whole package - nice hotel rooms, maybe a spa that has treatments, as well as transportation to and from the various adventure things where you'll do the yoga. Definetly a growing business though.

Zoebird
4-28-12, 7:39pm
It's something that is on the table, but it's more long term. I'd essentially need an event/travel planner to make sure that everything gets sorted.