PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS and Arizona Immigration law

flowerseverywhere
4-25-12, 7:51am
today another heated and interesting topic is heard at the Supreme Court. Having lived in the past in Southern Arizona and Southern California I know these issues become heated issues for the residents, especially in areas like schools, housing, crime and jobs. I have found that there is so much inflamatory untrue information (like illegal immigrants getting on welfare for life etc.) floating around it is difficult to get a handle on what actually is going on. It should be very interesting to see if the decision falls on the side of the state or the federal government. I would love to hear opinions relating to the constitution in particular, as I have no opinion one way or another and have found through these discussions I get a much clearer idea about what is really going on and what the real issues are.

Gregg
5-1-12, 2:11pm
Interesting how Chief Justice Roberts shot down any notion that this would be about racial profiling before the arguments even started. No doubt that could be an issue with this law, but I have to agree this isn't the time or place to address it. Can't be sure if that took wind out of the sails of the opposition or not. You have to guess it was going to be part of their case since that aspect garners almost all of the media attention.

bunnys
5-1-12, 5:26pm
From what I've heard, the pundits are saying (for whatever that's worth) that the SC will uphold the law.

flowerseverywhere
5-1-12, 9:51pm
I read the transcript of the hearings and it was fascinating. I am trying to learn more about our constitution and government and I have been reading some interesting books.

From what I could understand the issue is whether the state has the right to enforce a federal law through running searches through the federal database when someone is stopped for some type of violation. It did not seem to me they could just see someone walking down the street and demand their papers, you had to exceed the speed limit for example, or be accused of a crime. The whole thing is very interesting. I want to go to a session of the Supreme court- I went to the building one day for a tour but I think you can get into the audience with advance planning.

ApatheticNoMore
5-2-12, 12:34am
It did not seem to me they could just see someone walking down the street and demand their papers, you had to exceed the speed limit for example, or be accused of a crime.

For practical purposes the same thing. I mean there's enough laws on the books that they could probably find one you are breaking, especially with traffic laws. Maybe not walking down the street, but perhaps jaywalking? :)