PDA

View Full Version : Renting in NSW, Australia

greenfeast
4-26-12, 12:57am
Hi everyone!

I've just been browsing the forum and am so happy to find a group of like-minded people. I've been pursuing a simpler life for a while now, ever since watching a River Cottage episode mentioning factory farming. That led to thinking about meat...about food...about other things we buy...funny what direction life can take when your conscience is seared by something as seemingly innocuous as a TV program.

Anyways, dh and I are renting. We have three kids, two of whom are learning at home, and another at a local school. We've been debt- and credit card-free for a few years now (after I picked up Your Money or Your Life at the library), and car-free since late last year when the repair bills were going to be more than what it was insured for. We're fortunate to be within walking distance to all amenities including a train station and bus terminal. My dh isn't passionate about simple living, but has seen the benefits in how we live.

I'm a novice gardener, great cook, and a creative/intuitive soul. Nice to meet you!

Selah
4-26-12, 4:20am
Welcome, greenfeast! YMOYL also had a major impact on me, as did Duane Elgin's "Voluntary Simplicity." Being debt-free is wonderful, so congratulations on your self-liberation. Glad to hear DH can recognize the good things about simplicity--to me, it's not about deprivation, it's about mindfulness. And the more you pay attention to what you have, the less you actually seem to "need," and so we get lighter in terms of spirit as well as in possessions.

IshbelRobertson
4-26-12, 6:21am
G'day and welcome!

Australia is one of my most favourite places, I have close family there in ACT, NSW, Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. We try to get over every couple of years, alternating with my sister's trips back to the UK. She's coming for 6 weeks on 7 May - we've got two family weddings, one overseas, to fit in during her trip. It's going to be a hectic one!

I'm sure you'll fit right in here - many, many like minded people. I love Hugh Fearnley WHittingstall - and have signed up to his 'Fish' campaign here in the UK to persuade the EU that their fishing policy is MAD! He also started a great campaign of persuading people who had unused bits of land to allow strangers to plant veggies and fruit on those unused places, including ancient church graveyards. Here's a link, you might find it interesting. It mentions his FISH campaign as well as the landshare project. I've also eaten at RC and the RC Canteen a few times. The food is great!
http://www.rivercottage.net/

Float On
4-26-12, 7:40am
Welcome greenfeast, we're glad you are here.