PDA

View Full Version : My silly chickens

CathyA
4-26-12, 3:36pm
I only have 4 hens left. They are 9 years old. I've used a ladder roost for a number of years. I do think a couple of them fell off and broke their necks over the years. :(
But they've always loved sitting on the top rung, in front of the window.........so I kept it there.
Last week, one of them couldn't put weight on one leg. She's in a crate, recuperating now. But I decided it was time to lower the roost for the elderly ladies.
I spent about 3 hours toting cement blocks, cutting wood with a dull saw, etc. (with my poor arthritic hands). I finally finished it and was pretty happy with it.

I went in last night to close up the coop and they all were in the nest box! Those little scaredy-cats! hahaha

If you have chickens, you know where the term "you're just chicken" comes from. Lots scares them. One time it was almost dark and they were all huddled in the far corner of the run. I went out to see what was wrong, and a water dish had fallen over a milk crate it was sitting on. Silly girls! :~)

Float On
4-26-12, 5:17pm
I guess you can always tell who is top chicken by who is roosting up the highest. You have to earn that right.

Thanks for sharing! I can relate. Though I've never had a chicken live that long!

CathyA
4-26-12, 7:33pm
I think my girls are maybe past the pecking order thing now. The ones that are left were never at the top, so I guess they're used to anything they can get now. haha
They don't even seem to like looking out the window anymore, so I took advantage of that and made the lower roost. I haven't closed them up yet tonight, so I don't know if they are using the new roost yet. Probably not. It'll take them a week or 2 to not be afraid of it.
Interesting thing...........I thought they were in "henopause". I don't think I got more than 4 eggs last summer. So far this year, I've gotten about 24! Go figure.

Mrs-M
4-29-12, 11:36am
I don't know a single thing about chickens, but by all accounts (reading what others have to say about them) they sound like great pets and additions to a family home.

Tussiemussies
4-30-12, 8:24am
I only have 4 hens left. They are 9 years old. I've used a ladder roost for a number of years. I do think a couple of them fell off and broke their necks over the years. :(
But they've always loved sitting on the top rung, in front of the window.........so I kept it there.
Last week, one of them couldn't put weight on one leg. She's in a crate, recuperating now. But I decided it was time to lower the roost for the elderly ladies.
I spent about 3 hours toting cement blocks, cutting wood with a dull saw, etc. (with my poor arthritic hands). I finally finished it and was pretty happy with it.

I went in last night to close up the coop and they all were in the nest box! Those little scaredy-cats! hahaha

If you have chickens, you know where the term "you're just chicken" comes from. Lots scares them. One time it was almost dark and they were all huddled in the far corner of the run. I went out to see what was wrong, and a water dish had fallen over a milk crate it was sitting on. Silly girls! :~)

They just sound so cute!

Float On
4-30-12, 9:31am
Bonus eggs - cool!

CathyA
4-30-12, 12:42pm
Well, they are still sleeping in the nestbox! I think I wasted my time, energy and money building that new roost. I tried putting a large piece of cardboard in front of the double-decker nest boxes and one of the girls just about killed herself trying to get around it. Silly gooses.
Since they are so old, I just don't have the heart to make them change if they don't want to. So........its the nestbox for bed.