PDA

View Full Version : Pear-shaped (figured) members check in.

Mrs-M
1-26-11, 11:37am
Any pear-shaped members here? Have you found it to be a burden or a blessing? I thought of starting this topic so we could share our trails and tribulations with being gifted with such figures.

Problematic areas for me;

Finding pants that fit.
Having to always wear full brief undies.
Two piece bathing suits.

jennipurrr
1-26-11, 5:12pm
Classic pear shape here. I generally feel its a blessing because it is associated with less health/heart issues.

I have always had a problem with pants...never fit right. Then there was a phase in high school where girls were wearing straight leg, mens jeans, oh no, that one did not work for me at all! I usually end up buying pants a bit large in the waist so they fit in the hips. I've experimented with darting the waist but ugh, it never looked flattering.

I've always worn 2 piece swimsuits with no issues...lately as I "mature" I have gravitated to the more full coverage ones. Maybe my rear was just hanging out way back when...not sure now, but I guess I didn't really care. At the time (teens, early 20s) looking back with perspective, I had a pretty good body, but there is not much you can do with those hips. It is biology for sure...my mom has the exact same shape. I would never consider any other plastic surgery, but if someone gifted me lipo for my hips I would take it in a heart beat.

Mrs-M, you could always wear thongs ;)

Anne Lee
1-26-11, 7:34pm
Huhn. As an apple, I've always envied you pears. Just goes to show...

Tussiemussies
1-27-11, 11:28am
Do also have a pear shaped figure, never was happy about it, when I was younger just wished I could look perfectly proportioned but severe dieting and lots of exercise was the only way, and I couldn't keep that going on for too long. It doesn't bother me now, I've given up on bathing suits as I'm really out of shape now, but I'm happier! : ))

Mrs-M
1-27-11, 1:32pm
I'm so glad to see your posts. I was beginning to think I was the only one when I seen no responses.

Jenni. I hear you on the full-coverage thing. Full-coverage has been my daily bread since day one, but after 4 kids it's now a necessity. (Hint-hint on the kid issue). :)

Even with full-coverage I'm forever running my fingers down the outer elastic legs of my bottoms to pull the seat back down and into place over my butt cheeks. It's either that, or choosing the big oversized "panel" looking bottoms that make my butt look even BIGGER! :D There's just no winning... Thongs you say? Oh..., you don't want me to elaborate on that. :laff:

Anne Lee. Doesn't that seem to be the way, always envying or admiring or wishing for what someone else has. I think my mom is right, no matter what we are gifted with we're never fully content.

Tussie. Yes, contentment truly is the best isn't it. I'm getting there, slowly. I think my husband has it right. He'll say to me, "embrace what you were given, you look incredible". :)

To everyone here today, give yourself a big happy hug from me! :)

redfox
1-27-11, 3:15pm
Huhn. As an apple, I've always envied you pears. Just goes to show...

Ditto, Anne! I would love to have an actual waist. Oh well... even when I'm thin, there isn't one.

Mrs-M
1-27-11, 3:17pm
A big warm happy hug for you too Redfox! :)

Kathy WI
1-27-11, 3:35pm
I'm an apple shape, and I'd love to have an actual waist. If I wear tight clothes, I look like I'm pregnant. If I wear loose clothes, I look like a box.

maribeth
1-27-11, 6:03pm
Apparently the clothing manufacturers, to save fabric, are cutting pants shorter in the front rise and slimmer through the thighs and butt. So I try to take good care of my old (not quite vintage) pants that were cut properly. If I find a new pair that fits, I buy three. Jeans, as I mentioned before, always have to have the waistband taken in.

I bought a serger to try making my own A-line knit dresses, thus "skirting" around the problem. Still figuring that thing out.

redfox
1-27-11, 9:32pm
I'm an apple shape, and I'd love to have an actual waist. If I wear tight clothes, I look like I'm pregnant. If I wear loose clothes, I look like a box.

Me too, Kathy.

redfox
1-27-11, 9:32pm
A big warm happy hug for you too Redfox! :)

Thank you!!!

madgeylou
1-28-11, 6:23am

this is exactly why i started wear the shift. i wanted a cute little dress was neither pregnant-looking nor awkward/uncomfortable. now i just wear little shifts every day, and it makes me really happy!

the grass is always greener .... i'm learning that everyone has fit issues -- whether it's gaping waists, too tight waists, or not enough room in the chest.

treehugger
1-28-11, 12:15pm
I'm so-called "pear shaped" but I didn't check-in because I don't feel like I have had trials and tribulations related to this. It's never really bothered me. I mean, sure I have a big butt and big thighs and have always had some issues getting pants to fit around the waist, but I think I recognized at a pretty early age that the grass is *not* always greener and that everyone envies someone something. That's something we all have in common, at least. :)

All of that said, I do think it helps to ignore trends (hello, skinny jeans!) and simply find what looks best/works best for you. There are clothes to fit (or that can be altered to fit) everyone.

beckyliz
1-28-11, 12:21pm
Pear-shaped here, too. However, now that I'm really overweight, I'm fat all over, so it evens out - good and bad!

maribeth
1-28-11, 12:38pm
My latest pet peeve: "straight leg" on a pants tag does not mean "the leg of these pants hangs straight down from the hip, leaving plenty of room" which is what I want. It means "you must have a straight, skinny leg to wear these, because they are skin tight and unflatteringly tapered at the bottom."

Just sharing this with you all so you don't have to spend an hour of comedy with a saleslady bringing you every pair of "straight leg" pants in the store and not understanding what the problem is.

Stella
1-28-11, 12:54pm
I am normally pear shaped, although at the moment I'm feeling more like a pumpkin. Big and cavernous. :) But you're not supposed to have a waist when you're 31 weeks pregnant so no surprise there.

I miss my waist. I'm looking forward to seeing it again someday.

Tenngal
1-28-11, 2:06pm
another apple here........I always look pregnant

Wildflower
1-28-11, 3:48pm
Funny thing is I used to be pear-shaped when I was younger with wide hips, a tiny waist, and very small bust. I remember how hard it was to get pants that fit. But as I've aged my weight has redistributed and I've become very busty, fighting belly fat, can barely find my waist these days, but I no longer have the hips I had when I was younger and pants fit great now. :0! It's like Mother Nature totally rearranged my body. I have to work really hard now at watching my calories and getting enough exercise, where before it was pretty effortless to maintain my weight. But I look at my cousin who is paralyzed and has to live his life in a wheelchair now and I am just thankful I have a reasonably healthy body that works for me.....

Anyone else here gone from pear-shaped to apple shape as they've aged?

Kathy WI
1-28-11, 4:16pm
My apple shape definitely happened since I turned 40. When I try to lose weight now, my butt goes away and my stomach stays fat.

Mrs-M
1-28-11, 4:47pm
It's great hearing from you all. I take after my mom and my aunts (her sisters). We're all built the same. Average up top, bigger than average on the bottom. Both my daughters are the same.

One thing that helped make things easier for me both when I was younger and now that I am older, is/was never being unrealistic about what I could get into and wear. I know other women who are headstrong in this area and even if something looks ghastly on them, they'll wear it just for the sake of proving a point. Not me. I know my place and what fits and works and looks good, and I stick to it.

Adding that, four pregnancies and births did nothing beneficial to my figure other than accentuate my butt and hips even more! ROTFLMAO! :~)

It's been nice sharing our stories with one another.

goldensmom
1-28-11, 6:28pm
I read this thread out of curiosity. I'm not pear shaped. I don't know what fruit shape I am but I do have a problem keeping my pants up and have been told I have 'no butt'. Guess there could be worse things in life.

Simpler at Fifty
1-28-11, 7:26pm
Pear shape here too. For jeans I only wear RightFit from Lane Bryant. They fit like they were made for me. I wear the 'blue' color and there are no gaps in the back like I had with other jeans.

HKPassey
1-28-11, 8:23pm
I think I'm actually two pears stacked on top of each other.

HKPassey
1-28-11, 8:29pm
Adding that, four pregnancies and births did nothing beneficial to my figure other than accentuate my butt and hips even more! ROTFLMAO! :~)

Three pregnancies did all that, plus provided a truly formidable forward presence up top. I feel like a ship of the line half the time. I can't see my feet... over my bust. >:(

Life_is_Simple
1-28-11, 10:21pm
After reading this thread, I asked my friend what he thought I was. He said:

Cucumber-shaped

:cool:

That's pretty accurate, actually.

herbgeek
1-29-11, 7:37am
My latest pet peeve: "straight leg" on a pants tag does not mean "the leg of these pants hangs straight down from the hip, leaving plenty of room" which is what I want.

You might want to look for "trouser leg" when shopping. I know a couple of on line clothing sellers use this term to describe the straight, loose leg you are looking for. Lands End in particular (which you can buy at Sears).

Mrs-M
1-29-11, 5:53pm
Loving this thread, and the comedy! :) Thanks to everyone for approaching this with a sense of lightness.