PDA

View Full Version : Hey.....Remember this "No Money" guy?

loosechickens
4-27-12, 12:17am
I remember quite awhile back, we had a thread about this guy, who denounced money some years ago and has been living in a cave outside Moab, UT........

I used to check in with his blog once in awhile, and then kind of forgot about it, but just came across this today.....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Who-Quit-Money/dp/1594485690/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335499467&sr=1-1

thought some of you might find the book interesting.........I haven't read it yet, but the reviews are pretty good, and the fellow IS quite interesting in a VERY "loosechicken" way.....a true eccentric.

Float On
4-27-12, 7:07am
I remember that. Haven't checked on the blog in quite a while.

catherine
4-27-12, 7:42am
Cool! Thanks for posting. I do remember that guy. Looks like an interesting read.

fidgiegirl
4-27-12, 10:37am
I heard about a German woman living with no money last week on Marketplace Money. Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

catherine
4-27-12, 10:42am
I heard about a German woman living with no money last week on Marketplace Money. Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Thank YOU for sharing, Kelli.. Here's the article you referenced (I googled it): http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/living-without-money

Spartana
4-27-12, 1:53pm
I remember this guy. Just looked up his blog and found it pretty interesting. Not that living in a cave and eating roadkill sounds like my thing though :-)! I wonder what he'll do with the money he earns from his book since he seems to shun both earning money as well as spending it. He's also on Facebook.

loosechickens
4-27-12, 11:29pm
I've downloaded the book onto my Kindle, but haven't gotten to start to read it, as I'm working to get through library books that are due on Monday.......

I did read most of the reviews on Amazon, and the book has gotten rave reviews....not just for this guy's personal life, but for the deep spiritual questioning and thinking that has accompanied it, and I'm quite sure that whatever is done with the money from the book, he's not likely to use it himself. It will be interesting to find out about that, whether income from sales of the book will simply go to the writer who wrote it, charities, etc., but Daniel himself seems to have carved out a quite meaningful life for himself over a number of years without the money, so I'm sure he'll continue with that.

We've always intended to try to look him up, but for some reason (we used to pass through the Moab area a lot), we haven't been up into Utah at all for a few years.....maybe in the fall, but by that point, he will probably have become so famous, he'll be hiding out from anyone wanting to talk to him.

Very interesting fellow.......I've always had a strong affinity for really eccentric people....I have quite a bit of that tendency myself, but covered nicely with a veneer of "respectability" that I've never been able to shake. But when I think back over the people who I've found most impressive in my life, or learned the most from, many were really WAY out there like this guy. Living a nomadic life, as we have for the past twenty years, you run into a larger number than normally, of truely eccentric people. I celebrate them.....Way too many of us more normal ones, hahahahaha

catherine
4-28-12, 7:54am
I wonder what he'll do with the money he earns from his book since he seems to shun both earning money as well as spending it.

Actually, he didn't write the book, one of his old friends, who ran into him fairly recently, did. The two of them must have some up with some arrangement as to what to do with the money.

Reminds me a tad of Into the Wild, but this guy is smarter, in the "living without money" sense of it. More philosophical and deliberate, too, I think. (Can you tell I bought the book already? I couldn't put it down last night--I'm halfway through).

Also reminds me of the people who live in more "luxury" like the doctor in the book 12 x 12, and also Jim Merkel, Radical Simplicity. I've read another book by the same name, Radical Simplicity, too, by Dan Price. I find these people who shun almost EVERYTHING our society calls dear so compelling. I know that some of you on this forum are already living that lifestyle, or are close to it, and that's one of the reasons that keeps me coming back here--to keep being inspired by you guys.

Spartana
4-28-12, 2:10pm
We've always intended to try to look him up, but for some reason (we used to pass through the Moab area a lot), we haven't been up into Utah at all for a few years.....maybe in the fall, but by that point, he will probably have become so famous, he'll be hiding out from anyone wanting to talk to him.

I'm going to be in Utah starting tomorrow maybe I should look up his cave :-)! Wouldn't that be wild! I also enjoy very eccentric people (and miss PDQ and his tales here). I love to hear about alternative ways to live, and to travel, especially when they are extreme. I'm REALLY hooked on reading about all those people who give up their jobs and traditional lifestyles to walk, run, bike, kayak, climb, etc... around the world for years under their own power - whether for a spiritual, emotional, or charitable reason - or just to challenge themselves. I espespecially like to hear about those who take on very hard physical challenges like trekkking to the North or South Poles on skiis, climbing all the big mountains back to back, running a marathon a day for 365 days straight, etc.. I just read about a guy who swam the entire Amazon river from it's head to the sea. It was 3,000 plus miles and he did it in 62 days. WOW! I find all that soooo fasinationg and inspirational (and yes, a bit envious because I'd love to be doing it myself). Kind of hoping that with the economy so tanked, many people will look at alternative ways to live and to retire by reading articles and books like his.

oldhat
5-1-12, 7:23pm
Thanks for pointing this out. I put the book on hold at the library today. I'm familiar with Suelo and used to look at his blog from time to time, so I'll be interested to read the book.

Like Spartana, I'm fascinated by people who drop out and live lifestyles that most people would consider extreme or unorthodox. I think it takes tremendous courage in most cases.

One thing I do recall about Suelo is that when he first entered the public eye--through a newspaper or magazine article I think--I was amazed by the number of negative comments that followed the article. Some of them were downright violent in condemning his lifestyle: he's a parasite, he's just lazy, etc. Some people seemed deeply threatened by his choices. This may have something to do with the fact that, unlike India, this country has no tradition of wandering mendicants who have dropped out of society for spiritual reasons. Or possibly resentment of someone who really has the courage of his convictions.

loosechickens
5-1-12, 10:58pm
If you look at the Amazon.com page for the book and look at the reviews, there is a very nice review by a person who is a close friend of his, addressing the "parasite" or "mooch" question really, really nicely.

As he said, (I am paraphrasing), "if anyone is being "mooched" it would be me and my wife, whose home and refrigerator are open to Daniel, and here is my view about this question..........."

There are other ways of adding value to life, yours and those of others, that have nothing to do with money......sad that many don't understand that.

Tiam
5-1-12, 11:04pm
Did I miss the link to the blog? And a question: If he has a book, does he profit, (and pay taxes) on that?

loosechickens
5-2-12, 12:08am
Here is a link to Daniel Suelo's website: http://sites.google.com/site/livingwithoutmoney/

and here is a link to his blog: http://www.zerocurrency.blogspot.com/

He did not write the book. He is the subject of the book. I'm sure if the author of the book makes a profit, he will pay taxes on it, but Daniel Suelo himself lives without money.

Think of a wandering monk, think of a Hindu holy man, think of some of the Christian mystics. Think of a philosopher who is questioning the very foundations of our society. Is he correct? Is he completely wrong? Who knows? I just find him an incredibly interesting person, with a mind who sees many of our assumptions very differently than most of us see them. Always worth exploring the thoughts of these kinds of people, I think.

oldhat
5-22-12, 8:17pm
Just finished reading "The Man Who Quit Money." I found it both an inspiring and entertaining read. Author Mark Sundeen writes very well and does a nice job of fleshing out Daniel Suelo's back story. Probably the most interesting aspect of Suelo's present situation is the incremental way in which he finally arrived at the decision, more than a decade ago, to completely give up money and simply trust that the universe would provide for his basic needs. There wasn't any road-to-Damascus moment (well, there sort of was, but I don't want to be a spoiler). Instead, he spent his first 40 years as a spiritual seeker, starting with moving away from the fundamentalist Christianity he was raised with, through years of studying the religions of the world, a stint in the Peace Corps, and a variety of socially conscious jobs. Increasingly, he found himself unable to reconcile himself with the compromises most Christians (for example) make to live in the world, not to mention those engaged in outright hypocrisy. He's a true idealist, a very rare breed, and this book does him justice -- it's admiring without being hagiographic. Sundeen actually knew Suelo personally many years before writing the book, which gives the story a depth and intimacy that probably could not have been achieved otherwise. Highly recommended.

gimmethesimplelife
5-22-12, 10:07pm
I've downloaded the book onto my Kindle, but haven't gotten to start to read it, as I'm working to get through library books that are due on Monday.......

I did read most of the reviews on Amazon, and the book has gotten rave reviews....not just for this guy's personal life, but for the deep spiritual questioning and thinking that has accompanied it, and I'm quite sure that whatever is done with the money from the book, he's not likely to use it himself. It will be interesting to find out about that, whether income from sales of the book will simply go to the writer who wrote it, charities, etc., but Daniel himself seems to have carved out a quite meaningful life for himself over a number of years without the money, so I'm sure he'll continue with that.

Very interesting fellow.......I've always had a strong affinity for really eccentric people....I have quite a bit of that tendency myself, but covered nicely with a veneer of "respectability" that I've never been able to shake. But when I think back over the people who I've found most impressive in my life, or learned the most from, many were really WAY out there like this guy. Living a nomadic life, as we have for the past twenty years, you run into a larger number than normally, of truely eccentric people. I celebrate them.....Way too many of us more normal ones, hahahahahaThe older I get, the more this seems to be one of my big goals......to embrace my inner eccentric. I know what you mean about the veneer, this is what keeps me employable and makes me not stick out, but someday.....it's coming down. Someday. Still I owe too much money so.......Rob

loosechickens
5-25-12, 12:28am
We call it our "ability to pass", Rob.......which is often VERY helpful in life, but does seem to stick with you even when you don't want it, preventing your true eccentricity from shining through, hahahaha......

There isn't any reason any more for us to have to "pass" as ordinary, establishment kind of people anymore, as we are retired and financially independent, but the habit dies hard.....the eccentricity certainly leaks out around the edges, having lived nomadically in RVs for twenty years now, frequenting places like nudist resorts, having some VERY out there eccentric friends, and some everyday habits, like our worm box, hot water heating system (black plastic gallon jugs set out in the sun), cooking with a sun oven, but is also tempered by some very establishment kinds of things like iPhones, having gone on a cruise this past winter, etc., and those things allow us to appear very ordinary and middle class, but we are really QUITE weird inside, hahaha.

I finished The Man Who Quit Money book and really enjoyed it, and it caused me some very deep thinking in the mornings as I spend an hour or more swimming laps lost in my thoughts.

He, (Daniel Suelo) refused to benefit from the book in a monetary sense, and continues on his life as it is.......getting older, with friends worried about his health and approaching old age, but...............he really is a most interesting man, and seems to enrich the lives of those he encounters, which is not that uncommon with really original thinkers and eccentric people. The ones we have encountered have all changed our own lives in ways large and small. I still would like to meet him.

pinkytoe
5-27-12, 5:10pm
maybe I should look up his cave :-)! I thought one of the funnier lines in the book was when the author went to Moab and when he asked for directions to find the man who lives in a cave was asked "which one?" There is a section in the book about why the desert attracts eccentrics. It was a thought provoking book and made me think about how so few of us lead a free life as we are drawn to convention and rules. I fantasized about living that way but wondered how much more difficult it might be for a woman.

Spartana
5-29-12, 3:41pm
I thought one of the funnier lines in the book was when the author went to Moab and when he asked for directions to find the man who lives in a cave was asked "which one?" There is a section in the book about why the desert attracts eccentrics. It was a thought provoking book and made me think about how so few of us lead a free life as we are drawn to convention and rules. I fantasized about living that way but wondered how much more difficult it might be for a woman.

While living in a cave isn't appealing to me - although it was once a dream of mine when I was 13 and first learned about Buddhism (I'm not a Buddhist) and the whole "true simple living" thing took root in my brain - but I wonder what it would be like too. I love to read about women like Peace Pilgrim and the many female perpetual travellers who do multi-year long trips alone thru out the world by foot or bike - often in places considered very dangerous. For the most part, it seems like they are safe and haven't come into any more harm than a guy would. I imagine that living in a cave would be the same - male or female you've got to be vigilant of animals, accidents and other people.

Rogar
6-2-12, 10:43pm
I mentioned the book to a friend and he had a spare copy he gave me. The book was different from what I expected, but I was impressed with the book. Suelo's motivation to give up money had a spiritual basis as much as one of freedom from monetary encumbrances. Like the Nearings, he didn't use his all free time to frolic, but set up many programs and did volunteer humanitarian work.

The book was well written and I hope a lot of folks get to read it. Sometimes it's the extremists that nudge change along. I was inspired to rethink things, though I won't be going off to live in a cave or anything.

puglogic
6-21-12, 11:07pm
I thought one of the funnier lines in the book was when the author went to Moab and when he asked for directions to find the man who lives in a cave was asked "which one?" There is a section in the book about why the desert attracts eccentrics. It was a thought provoking book and made me think about how so few of us lead a free life as we are drawn to convention and rules. I fantasized about living that way but wondered how much more difficult it might be for a woman.

I laughed at that too, pinkytoe. I enjoyed the book very much. He's an eccentric, but not a hateful, bigoted eccentric (which I detest). I like that he's still a searcher on multiple levels: how to "earn" a living, relationships, spirituality, community, etc.

And I'm with Elizabeth Gilbert, who provided one of the quotes for the book cover: "I suspect I may find myself thinking about it every day for the rest of my life." Not the book, per se, but the idea that we exchange almost every damned thing in our lives for money, and the thought that there may be a broad range of alternatives to doing so.

jp1
7-7-12, 1:07pm
One thing I do recall about Suelo is that when he first entered the public eye--through a newspaper or magazine article I think--I was amazed by the number of negative comments that followed the article. Some of them were downright violent in condemning his lifestyle: he's a parasite, he's just lazy, etc. Some people seemed deeply threatened by his choices. This may have something to do with the fact that, unlike India, this country has no tradition of wandering mendicants who have dropped out of society for spiritual reasons. Or possibly resentment of someone who really has the courage of his convictions.

That's something I find fascinating. Glenn, http://www.tosimplify.net/ had an article written about him on yahoo a while back and ran into the same thing, even though living in a small motorhome is not nearly as extreme as shunning money and living in a cave. Many of the commenters seemed to view him as being just a lazy homeless person living in a van.

I guess some people are so heavily invested in the American way of life of spend spend spend, buy buy buy, that when they read an article about someone who has chosen a different path they feel threatened or rejected or something.