PDA

View Full Version : Laundry detergent packets?

CathyA
4-27-12, 9:08am
The various laundry detergent manufacturers have come out with little packets, that you just toss into your machine. Seems so easy.
But they are so small. Makes me wonder if you need more of them than it appears?? Or if we need such a little amount, have we been over-soaping our clothes all these years??
Also........what is the packaging made of? (the covering on each packet).
Anybody try them yet? I guess for now I'll stick with the powder variety in the recyclable cardboard box. But those little packets sure look easy.

fidgiegirl
4-27-12, 10:37am
My parents used to use the packets for dishwashers and they always dissolved just fine - in fact, I'm thinking of going to them for us.

I heard it has something to do with high-efficiency machines. If you used the same amount and type of soap as in your standard washer from the 70s, for example, it would be way TOO much and wouldn't clean. The soap doesn't really do the cleaning, anyway, in my understanding, it's more the motion. But I could be wrong.

CathyA
4-27-12, 10:40am
Thanks fidgiegirl.....
I didn't know if the packaging (on each packet) had some petroleum in it? I also just read that you should always put the packet in first, then your clothes, then fill it. Otherwise you get packaging residue on your washer.
Think I'll just stick with the powder.

Float On
4-27-12, 11:13am
They seem very expensive for what they are. I have used the dishwasher ones and I know those are more $ per use.

They wouldn't even be good for those who travel alot and need to wash - the gel does break down if it gets overheated and then you'd have a mess of detergent.

artist
4-27-12, 11:54am
I don't know much about the laundry packets. I have always made my own laundry soap. I make a powder form that uses 2 Tbs per full load. 2 1/2 for heavily soiled. 1-1 1/2 for smaller loads.

CathyA
4-27-12, 1:39pm
artist.......would you share your recipe?

SteveinMN
4-28-12, 5:43pm
I heard it has something to do with high-efficiency machines. If you used the same amount and type of soap as in your standard washer from the 70s, for example, it would be way TOO much and wouldn't clean. The soap doesn't really do the cleaning, anyway, in my understanding, it's more the motion.
The standard top-loading washer our parents and grandparents used consumed about 44 gallons of water per load. Front-loading machines use about 14 gallons per load. So, yes, using the same amount of detergent as one would use in a top-loader is a waste of detergent -- and, in fact, harms the machine because the soap foams up so much that the pump has to deal with foam instead of water. Ditto with dishwashers. Our ASKO (Swedish brand which focuses on water efficiency) requires only a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent to get the dishes clean.

Kelli, you are correct about motion. Detergent has a part to play as substances in it make it easier for the water to flow and defeat surface tension and help dissolve oils and proteins. But it is the motion of clothes against clothes and clothes against water that does most of the job.

jp1
5-3-12, 10:14pm
We used to use the little packets for the dishwasher but I didn't think they did an especially good job. Since it's no harder to squirt liquid into the soap dispenser I don't really see the point. Same with the washing machine. It's easy to pour in the appropriate amount of detergent. And with our high efficiency front loader it only takes a little bit of detergent to do a good job.