PDA

View Full Version : Fire Blight!

peggy
4-27-12, 10:57am
I don't really need advise, just some moral support! 2 pears have some, one pear pretty infected and the other 4 don't seem to be infected at all. I think I've pruned away all infected branches but I really need to be extra vigilant this season. This extra warm winter and spring just made it go like wildfire, especially in this one tree. I hope I can save it. It is such a super producer, huge pears growing in bunches like grapes. My poor trees!:(

Float On
4-27-12, 11:10am
That is sad news. I hope you can save them too!

Gregg
4-27-12, 11:45am
Good luck peggy!!!

peggy
4-27-12, 1:23pm
Thanks y'all. Time will tell.

Tweety
4-28-12, 5:05pm
I've had that on my pear trees, too. Horrible stuff! Severe pruning and keeping the surroundings cleaned up helped curb it and I haven't had it for several years. I guess I'd better keep an eye out for it this year!

peggy
4-29-12, 8:54am
I've had that on my pear trees, too. Horrible stuff! Severe pruning and keeping the surroundings cleaned up helped curb it and I haven't had it for several years. I guess I'd better keep an eye out for it this year!

Well, your post does give me hope. I hope I have gotten rid of it too. I haven't been able to burn the branches yet as it's been raining and very windy, but I raked them away from the trees. Good luck to us both!

Tussiemussies
4-30-12, 7:23am
I don't really need advise, just some moral support! 2 pears have some, one pear pretty infected and the other 4 don't seem to be infected at all. I think I've pruned away all infected branches but I really need to be extra vigilant this season. This extra warm winter and spring just made it go like wildfire, especially in this one tree. I hope I can save it. It is such a super producer, huge pears growing in bunches like grapes. My poor trees!:(

Sorry Peggy, hope you can find a way to save your trees. The catalogue "Gardens Alive" may have something for you? Not sure.

Gardenarian
4-30-12, 6:34pm
Yech. I'm so sorry! I just hate to lose a tree. Best wishes and sending positive energy to your trees!

peggy
5-1-12, 8:56am
Thanks. it's been so wet here I haven't had a chance yet to burn the branches or really inspect my trees, but hopefully I got it all. I just love my trees, they are like pets! :)