PDA

View Full Version : craft activisim

Sad Eyed Lady
4-29-12, 11:50am
Actually I guess this thread is 2 fold: First, I am seeking a CHEAP copy of this book (Craft Activism) if anyone happens to have one they would like to sell.

Secondly for those who have looked at this book, I would like to hear your thoughts about it. I am so intrigued by some of the art/craft - like knit bombing. Beautiful ideas to brighten up a bare tree, park bench, etc. Wonder how the City Council in my tiny town would take that? Not too well I am thinking!:laff:

Nella
4-29-12, 2:15pm
Just checked on abebooks.com. Least expensive copy with free shipping is $13.55, next cheapest is $11.50 with $5 shipping. Great site for finding books.

The concept and book sounds intriguing!

Dhiana
4-29-12, 7:42pm
There is so much information on the internet about successful yarn graffiti projects that you probably don't need the book.
Here's a project a friend of mine has done called Stop Sign Flowers: http://stopsignflower.com/

He had the idea to add flowers & stems to stop signs in his neighborhood so he put together a proposal on Kickstarter which is a crowd source funding website.
He made his funding goal and was ready to go: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/286068899/turn-stop-signs-in-clairemont-san-diego-into-flowe?ref=live

He organized knitting get-togethers at the craft store he made his yarn bulk order through and some of the volunteers had never knitted before so they learned to knit through this project :)

Slowly but surely they got the stop sign flowers up and reached their goal of 100. Unfortunately the city has just recently asked him to remove them. However there is a petition on change.org to have them stay up...things are still unfolding at this point.

Do you have any ideas in mind of what you'd like to do?

Sad Eyed Lady
4-29-12, 8:24pm
Do you have any ideas in mind of what you'd like to do?

No, I don't have any idea, just enjoying reading about what others have done right now. I thought I would take my library copy of this book to my knitters group and see what they think about this.

Tussiemussies
4-30-12, 7:20am
I just LOVe the carat stop sign fliers -- thanks for posting that!