PDA

View Full Version : “Enough" in Doing

catherine
5-2-12, 7:55am
I was going to post a link to this quote but I think I'll just post the whole short article from one of my favorite sites. I love that Latin proverb: Non Multa Sed Multum. And I like what the author has to say about "enough" being in the quality, not the quantity, of doing. (Not sure if this belongs in the "enough" forum or the "simple spirituality" forum)

“Not Many Things But Much”
by JIM MANNEY
Something to think about ¦ A Latin proverb adds a spiritual dimension to the point: non multa sed multum, or “not many things but much.” Jesuits didn’t coin that phrase, though I’ve heard it attributed to them, probably because its spirit so closely aligns with other Jesuit ideals.

The quality with which a work is done—the “muchness” of it—can be more important than the sheer quantity of tasks a person completes. What value, for example, that a social worker counsels fifty people a day if each feels like a processed can rolling through an assembly line? Or what value is there in people parroting hundreds of prayers without real conscious engagement? We earlier quoted Archbishop Oscar Romero’s take on this theme: “We cannot do everything and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that. This enables us to do something and do it very well.” Or as Mother Teresa put it: “We cannot do great things on this earth; we can only do little things with great love.”

fidgiegirl
5-2-12, 8:11am
Thank you for this. You know, at 33 years old, I'm really JUST, and I mean just, fully realizing that I am not going to be the next President, and that I am not the smartest person in the world and my actions alone won't change the world and that I can't do everything - so I've been doing nothing. Would like to strike a balance. I will keep these words as I do it. Thank you!!

Valley
5-2-12, 9:43am
This is a wonderful post! It helps me remember that just because I'm not doing for others on a "grand" scale doesn't mean that what I'm doing for them doesn't matter. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Stella
5-2-12, 10:17am
I love this! It's a particularly good reminder this week, when almost all of my time is devoted to the mundane tasks of caring for a new baby. It may not be a huge thing, but there is a lot of "muchness" to easing a new person into her first week of life.

Gardenarian
5-2-12, 4:03pm
Yes! Thank you.

Sissy
5-2-12, 5:22pm
fidgie, I seem to have the same problem as you. I think I am overwhelmed by the stuff that needs doing and I haven't felt like doing. I could so help my DD's with their babies, but I am just too tired after work most days. And I am missing so much of their "firsts".

This is a great motto to live by, tho. We can only do what we can do, right?

redfox
5-2-12, 6:07pm
Damn, great timing for me! Slamming through so many things this week I feel kinda crazy. Thanks.