PDA

View Full Version : Pillow case for neck pillow

Sad Eyed Lady
5-2-12, 2:36pm
This isn't a hobby or particularly creative, but I thought this forum would have the people who sew and therefore could help me. I have neck problems and recently purchased one of those memory foam U-shaped neck pillows for support when reading in bed, etc. The cover that came with it is kind of plush like and way too warm for extended use. How can I make a case that would fit this U-shaped pillow? The only thing I can think of is lay the pillow down on the fabric, draw the shape larger and cut it out and sew. Does that sound right? I tried to google the question and came up with how to make the pillows, so I took that info and thought that would work for a cover. Am I right (as stated above)? Or is there another way that is easy too? Thanks for your help!:help:

catherine
5-2-12, 3:08pm
I would:

trace the shape on some light tracing paper or even newspaper might work
Measure the pillow from seam to seam
Add 5/8" (seam allowance) all around
Adjust your pattern by adding the correct measurement + seam allowance
Pin your pattern on the material
With right sides together, sew the pieces, leaving a good space (probaby about 8 inches) so you can turn it inside out
Turn it inside out
Stuff the pillow in it
You can either hand sew the gap, or maybe you can sew vel-cro so you can open it up and wash it.

domestic goddess
5-2-12, 3:21pm
I don't know if this is any easier, but you could lay down the pillow case that came with the pillow onto the fabric you intend to use and trace that. Allowances should already have been made for the thickness of the pillow (I think). I think using velcro is a good idea to make it easy to clean.

JaneV2.0
5-2-12, 5:20pm
Domestic goddess has the right idea (an old stretchy cotton tee shirt would work perfectly), but I'd probably just stuff it in a regular pillowcase and make it work that way.

morning girl
5-2-12, 7:19pm
Follow the instructions from domestic goddess. I second the idea of tee shirt fabric. It would be stretchy enough to make it easier to get the cover on an unusually shaped pillow.