PDA

View Full Version : my kingdom for a good pillow!

Sissy
5-2-12, 5:30pm
Could someone please direct me to a good pillow source? I am so tired of lumpy, bumpy, pillows.

I will be eternally grateful and my neck will thank you too!

Sherry

artist
5-2-12, 5:51pm
I love my memory foam pillow. My mom and sister both swear by their mypillow from Mypillow.com

sweetana3
5-2-12, 8:06pm
The only one I have found to love is my latex foam pillow. Perfect comfort. I even take it with me on all my trips. It is a solid foam but still soft and bounces back. It stays cool which was an issue I had with my memory foam pillow. I bought one for my husband too.

I could only find them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

treehugger
5-2-12, 8:15pm
A "good pillow" is such a subjective thing. The best advice I can give is to find a store that lets you road test pillows. In our area, we have Relax the Back stores, which let you borrow as many pillows as you need to until you find the ONE. Pillows and shoes are 2 things that I am willing to spend a good amount of money on, as long as I can be sure that they will be comfortable and last a long time/be of good quality.

Kara

Miss Cellane
5-2-12, 8:59pm
I agree that experimenting is the only way to find a good pillow.

Over the years, I tried all sorts of down and feather pillows, and one made of something made from corn, I think. None were puffy enough to support my head.

After buying a few pillows, I have ended up with a combination of a memory foam pillow and a latex foam pillow--the memory foam goes on top, always. This came about because I remembered that pillows used to be comfortable when I was a kid. And as a kid, I had a foam pillow, because one of my brothers was so allergic to feathers and down that we couldn't have any in the house. So I started trying out foam pillows and finally found something that worked for me.

If you've ever had a comfortable pillow in the past, try to remember what it was about the pillow that you liked, and seek out a replacement.

JaneV2.0
5-2-12, 11:26pm
I like pillows full of little pellets like buckwheat or plastic beads, personally.

RCWRTR
5-2-12, 11:45pm
I bought a new generatiion Visco Elastic Memory Foam Pillow and LOVE it. The one I purchased came with a removable/washable cover and is made partially with plant-based materials. I prefer the solid memory foam to hollow core/waffle-type memory foam pillows. Previously, I have tried foam, polyester, down, buckwheat and bead-filled pillows. None of them even comes close to my new generation Visco Elastic Memory Foam Pillow. I highly recommend it.

rose
5-3-12, 1:08am
The only one I have found to love is my latex foam pillow. Perfect comfort. I even take it with me on all my trips. It is a solid foam but still soft and bounces back. It stays cool which was an issue I had with my memory foam pillow. I bought one for my husband too.

I could only find them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I agree. I used to have neck aches. Never do with latex foam. It is comfortable and lasts a long time. J.C. Penneys carried them the last time I needed one. Macy's no longer carries them.

Sissy
5-3-12, 5:34pm
Thanks for the info. I may have used a foam pillow in the past, don't remember, but I sure don't remember pillows bunching/wadding up like they do now. I bought a(expensive for me) faux down of some kind from BB&B and they felt good for about 2 months. I have been wondering about memory foam, but have read that they get hot which is a real issue with me right now. RCWRTR I will look up those that you mentioned, sounds interesting.

I need some rest!!!!

JaneV2.0
5-3-12, 7:41pm
After pellets, I like down. I've tried memory foam, memory foam/down, memory foam/synthetic fluff, buckwheat, and larger plastic pellets. I've never liked latex. One thing I appreciate about the pellets is that they retain the impression you left in them. I removed about 25% of the pellets from mine, and now it's perfect.

peggy
5-3-12, 9:40pm
I use a contoured pillow. My neck likes it best. I believe it's memory foam, but I can't guarantee that. It is foam of some kind though. Doesn't bunch up at all, and keeps it's shape.

SteveinMN
5-3-12, 10:01pm
I like down pillows, and I've found one of the better buys is from Pacific Coast Down (Company Store is good, too, though they don't have much of a retail footprint). I just went to Kohl's/Mervyn's/Herberger's during a White sale or some other big-deal sale and tried 'em out. Liked them so much the next pair (I use two) were ordered from PCF over the Internet. Again, though, it's definitely one of those try-before-you-buy things.

rosarugosa
5-6-12, 4:09pm
Steve: Pacific Coast Down is my preferred pillow as well, and I also use two. DH uses a buckwheat hull pillow on top of a down pillow.

KayLR
5-6-12, 10:57pm
The pillow I use is a Sleep Doctor which I bought at JC Penney. It's hard, and that's what I need--I'm a side sleeper. Anything else does not support my neck enough. I believe it is memory foam; it retains its shape and is NOT hot.

Merski
5-8-12, 9:48am
My husband had terrible neck pain issues enough to go to a highly rated sports chiroptacter 2 hours away. He recommended that we use down pillows because we can punch them into the best shape to fit under neck and ear. We did and think it was great advice.

JaneV2.0
5-8-12, 10:34am
My husband had terrible neck pain issues enough to go to a highly rated sports chiroptacter 2 hours away. He recommended that we use down pillows because we can punch them into the best shape to fit under neck and ear. We did and think it was great advice.

That's what I like about pellet pillows. you can adjust them for a perfect fit and they stay that way.

Sissy
5-8-12, 1:05pm
Pellet sounds interesting. I think that down is hot. I am seriously thinking about checking Penny's for the memory foam (contour) I would really like to check it out before buying.

I appreciate all of the imput.