PDA

View Full Version : How to Double Your Income

heydude
1-26-11, 7:53pm
On Oprah, they were talking about happiness. They said that joining a club (where people interact) in which you are required to show up just once every month gives you the same happiness as doubling your income.

Crystal
1-26-11, 8:12pm
Wow. That's quite a claim. Gonna have to think about what I could join. My hesitance with most groups is that they all need volunteers to help run things. I am all too easily persuaded .... >8)

loosechickens
1-26-11, 11:31pm
I don't know about "joining clubs", but I DO think that having a strong circle of family and friends provides contentment in a degree that probably COULD equal doubling of your income, if you went from being isolated to having good friends and close relationships with family members. Beyond enough money to supply basic needs and maybe a few extras, from that point on, relationships seem to provide what's worthwhile instead of just "more money". JMHO

heydude
1-28-11, 1:48pm
Furthermore, the study may in fact be saying less about the importance of relationships and more about the unimportance of money. Perhaps doubling your income provides very little happiness.

Anne Lee
1-29-11, 7:31am
I really can't take on any more committments right now, that would be stressful - but I wouldn't mind increasing my income by even 25%.

JaneV2.0
1-29-11, 1:55pm
A lot of these prescriptions for happiness seem to be designed for extroverts.

loosechickens
1-29-11, 7:34pm
Well, relationships don't have to involve quantity, only quality, so even introverts (and believe me, I'm one, so the advice in the OP to "join a club" gives me the vapors), often have several really good friends. My sweetie, who is an extrovert has large numbers of "people interactions". I have few, for the most part, but the ones I have are deep and long lasting.

So I don't think being an introvert is any real hindrance in forming close relationships, although their circle may be far smaller, and a far lesser amount of interaction may be necessary for them to maintain emotional health and happiness. Even hermits sometimes look forward to the occasional visitor. ;-)

Fawn
1-29-11, 9:19pm
A lot of these prescriptions for happiness seem to be designed for extroverts.

:+1:

Yeesh, after a week of dealing with sick people and their families and then evenings of kid stuff, a weekend with NO people contact increases my happiness as much as doubling my income. ;)

ApatheticNoMore
1-30-11, 4:34am
Extroverts - the mass of men lead lives of NOISY desperation :laff:

Really it's a personality trait.

And really joining a group is a prescription for anyone who doesn't get as much social contact as they desire (but with the caveat that people are often bad at knowing what will make them happy). Whether they're an extrovert with a high desire for social contact, or an introvert with perhaps a lesser desire but who may still get less than would make them happiest (perhaps a lot depends on their background level of social contact,which can differ a lot depending on whether they have an extroverted job, an introverted job, no job? Live with others, live alone? single, married? etc.). I do think that if you are going to join a group it should be one you have some actual interest in though, something you actually give a darn about.

It's probably equally conditional whether making more money will make one happier. Depends on what one is trying to get with it. Mostly for me, money reduces fears about being out of work, increases my feelings of freedom to make my own decision about what work I do and how dependent I am on it, and yes the whole feeling of having some safety and some choice (whether or not I exercise it!!) makes me happier in and of itself.

heydude
1-30-11, 1:21pm
If I was forced to go to a place monthly, it would probably do me good, even though I am an introvert. I tend to chop off social commitments and meetings left and right. I love being alone possibly too much for my own good. So I reach out and venture out to something and 10 minutes later I'm running home shouting "what was I thinking!" hehehehe.

Alone is the best.

heydude
1-30-11, 1:36pm
I posted an Introvert thread in Introverts thread in Family Matters and Relationships.

Jonathan
1-31-11, 12:53pm
If I was forced to go to a place monthly, it would probably do me good, even though I am an introvert. ...

Alone is the best.

You got that right. And hence why I do theatre. I'll never be a paid actor, let alone a good one, but damnit, *someone* has to sing and dance in the chorus badly enough to make the leads look good! :cool:

However, once the show is done, I'm ready to crawl back into my cave for a good 6-12 months... :moon: