PDA

View Full Version : Locked Out of Account

Cypress
5-9-12, 10:32am
I have been a credit union customer for over 10 years. Last week, the IT Dept put up a new layer of security for on-line banking. Every week for five years, I have logged in and balanced or transferred accounts. I have Money Market and two club accounts, one for Emergency Fund and the other Household. Instead of the usual, I know had to give the system my mobile number, this was after I got myself locked out trying to by-pass this new layer. After several minutes on the phone with a call rep, I got back in and did my business. The next time I logged in, I encountered this layer again, when I put in my mobile number, an automated attendant called it with a security code I needed to enter and go forward. Today, the same obstacle, I put in the old security number, got a message saying you'll get 15 minutes only, pressed continue and was locked out.

I called the call center and encountered a message queue. I called the main branch and asked who I could write in a complaint to, I was transferred twice, put on hold for a few minutes and finally got a name and address. Call me old fashioned but I wanted to put in writing what I encountered and my current locked out status. Apparently, every time I log on, I'll have to enter my mobile number and get a security code call. Otherwise, tough twinkies. Apparently, this is to prevent abuse. Unless I go along with this decision I cannot bank on-line.

I had an appointment set tomorrow to talk with a branch manager about refinancing my mortgage. I am uncertain if I am comfortable going forward. My first reaction is consider moving on. Perhaps I am overreacting but I do not want to do this. I simply want to check my funds.

My credit union also turned me down three years ago when I applied for the mortgage in the first place. There are other choices. I would have to only change my direct deposit from one institution to another.

redfox
5-9-12, 11:01am
Dreadful customer service. Move on!

razz
5-9-12, 12:17pm
Our credit union has increased the security as well but not to the extent of yours. Our banking system has done so as well so not sure that moving accounts will be a solution.
There should be an opportunity to register your concerns and get some answers. Cyber crime seems to be a serious problem.

sweetana3
5-9-12, 12:44pm
Sorry you are experiencing this from a credit union owned by its members. Ours, both of them, have been extremely responsive. We broke their whole system once due to having so many CDs. The update took care of the situation but for awhile we had to live with it. Neither of our CUs have the problem you are experiencing and we do all our banking online. Maybe something is "screwed up" or misunderstood?????

Have you got the time to go in and talk to someone in person so they can go over the account and see what is going on or have a chance to work with you on it? I would not expect someone on the phone to do much other than take a message.

If you have an appointment, how about talking to them right then about the security issue. Show them what is going on. If you have a laptop, take it with you. Nothing like a demo.

PS: I dont know what a refinancing has to do with the security issue. Unless you are thinking about moving your account and dont want the refinancing.

Cypress
5-9-12, 1:42pm
I wonder if I will encounter this at other institutions. I maintain my viewing sessions in public mode so that I always had an elaborate step to get in from the start. The call rep said it was a problem with the bad guys monkeying with the system. The new layer of security lumps us all in the same category of bad guy and I find that averse to customer service. I have no idea what to say or think. I guess it's for my protection but I am still locked out of my own account.

I have been talking to a branch manager who gives a high level of customer service as a matter of fact. I have all my paperwork in hand to see her tomorrow afternoon. I wondered if bringing up this problem at that time will help me know how to move forward. My original mortgage was sold to Chase Finance. There is another thread talking about refinance and mentioned the Chase style of customer no service. One of my first questions to the branch manager will be if this goes thru will the mortgage be sold to another large finance company or will it stay at the little old credit union.

Refinancing has nothing to do with security issues, I'm just wrinkled up with modern times. I am an official laggard. I don't have any apps, have a boring old tracfone and don't want to change what worked so well for me.

lhamo
5-9-12, 5:01pm
My bank here in China has that mobile security feature, which so far has been ok since I am here, but if my credit union in the US ever adopts it I am up a creek. I have a US cell phone, but it is in the US :) and I only use it during trips home. I guess maybe I could set up a google number or something. Hope they don't go this route. Annoying that they assume that everyone has access to a cell.

lhamo

sweetana3
5-9-12, 9:19pm
I do have to say that we do all our online banking via a boring old laptop and only use our cell phones as elaborate walky talkys. No fancy expensive equipment for us. I dont give anyone our cell numbers and if they ask, we do not have a cell phone. I dont carry it around with me and dont want it ringing unless it is hubby and an emergency.

There is going to be a lot more security when using those new mobile devices and some of the newest applications for banking and credit usages.

jp1
5-9-12, 9:21pm
I agree that that does sound annoying. And surely there must be a better way to beef up security other then requiring a security phone call each and every time I logged in. However, all that said, in my professional life I underwrite "cyber" insurance, which pays out the notification and credit monitoring costs when a computer security breach has occurred at one of my insureds. I read enough articles about the types and quantity of breaches that occur to be able to say that security measures have to keep evolving and getting more tricky if institutions like banks and credit card companies want to stay ahead of the criminals. If it meant knowing that my account was likely to be secure I'd personally put up with the hassle unless it was really really inconvenient to use.

Zoe Girl
5-10-12, 10:21am
Ugh I hear you. I have spent 2 days trying to get in to pay my dental bill. I have a credit for medical that is zero interest (plus the foreclosure) so I cannot even open another bank account much less switch my account over this. I finally got a person on their lilve chat and he told me to call the number I had been calling for days. When I pushed 9 it hung up, then I tried 0 and got a person. I had to change my user name, password and answer all secret questions again. I have paid this bill online since November and nothing said I needed to re-create my entire profile. It was maddening because when I was on the phone system the last 4 of my social got all my information correct (last payment, balance etc). So then I decided maybe I forgot my user name and password and went in to ask for those. It said it was incorrect with just my account number, and to call a number that simply said go to the website for website issues, then the FAQ didn't address the issue, and I went back and forth. Argh!!!

If it wasnt for the live chat guy I would be paying extra to pay by phone or sending an overnight payment quickly. Even then it was crap to try and do. I agree with the written letter, I am going to send one. They don't even have an email listed.

Cypress
5-15-12, 3:36pm
I sent my complaint letter to the responsible IT person at the credit union. He actually called me and wants to discuss my objections. Last Thursday, I was at the same credit union looking into refinancing my home and brought it up at the end of our discussion. In a pleasant tone, I retold my story. She was sympathetic and had the IT Dept staff reset my log in on the spot. The response has been better as I spoke directly with people in higher levels of management. Apparently, management has been getting an earful on this topic.

ApatheticNoMore
5-15-12, 3:58pm
Well if your not doing the online banking via a phone the mobile number does seem odd.

But as for all the other security things asked for online financial transactions (identifying images, providing personal info, plus password, plus name etc.): it is complying with various standards, not of all of which are strictly enforced. It's often less the government says you have to comply with this standard, it's that you legally have to comply with this standard IF you wish as a company to do this, that, the other thing. And furthermore companies actively strive to become compliant with the standards. So more and more security is added to everything. It's a dangerous world out there. But mobile number is new, haven't heard of that before. And yes with enough barriers your money does become basically inaccessible to you. Time to rethink offline banking?