PDA

View Full Version : Are you frugal with creative endeavors/hobbies or do you splurge?

Stella
5-9-12, 5:51pm
I went on a bit of a spending spree today for art supplies and it got me thinking about this topic. Normally I am a pretty frugal person, but once in a while, like today, I feel like my creative life needs a little financial TLC.

I've read through The Artists Way a few times and she talks about how people sometimes feel guilty spending money on the activities that feed their soul, and I have found this to be true in my life. There's a certain amount of fun in limits, so from that perspective I enjoy keeping my hobbies reasonably frugal, but sometimes the thrill of fresh new fabric or a really nice new yarn or a new journal or even a class to advance my skills in something really contributes to my quality of life.

For the record, the big kids and I are doing our own summer writing/art workshop and I spent way more than I intended to on fresh sketchbooks, notebooks, coloured pencils, crayons, gel pens, markers, index cards and a book of creative writing exercises. Today I organized it all into some carry-alls we can take out to the patio or use at the dining room table. It has me itching to get started!

How do you approach spending in this category?

frugalone
5-9-12, 6:06pm
I think I tend to splurge. I guess as long as you don't do it *too* frequently, it's OK. There are those of us who say "it's cheaper than therapy!" ;)

Gardenarian
5-9-12, 7:35pm
My dd is a pretty serious artist and I do try to get her the best supplies (while keeping an eye out for bargains.) I am involved in various crafts too, and I feel the money spent on them is well invested. I do try to keep a handle on the amount of arts and crafts stuff we have - it can become overwhelming. DD doesn't mind clutter (I think it inspires her) but I do!

Rosemary
5-9-12, 8:06pm
I splurge on things like this, too... we don't watch tv, we don't have cable or netflix to pay for. We save on many other things. Our splurge areas are books, art supplies, music lessons, and travel. I consider all of those worthwhile entertainment, recreation, education, and family time.

JaneV2.0
5-9-12, 9:06pm
Art supplies are among my gazingus pins, but I do look for sales.

sweetana3
5-9-12, 9:11pm
I splurge on quilting fabric and stuff but my splurges are during garage sales, estate sales, and on Ebay. I spend pennies on the dollar for my stuff. However, I get a lot and it started out expensive so it is still a lot of money at pennies on the dollar.

My rug hooking is all done with my own patterns and using only recycled wool clothing from thrift stores. So I save a lot for this hobby over the women who buy others patterns and spend huge huge amounts on hand dyed wools.

frugalone
5-9-12, 9:11pm
If I were to elaborate, that's what Id' say, Rosemary. No TV, cable, or netflix!

I splurge on things like this, too... we don't watch tv, we don't pay for cable or netflix to pay for. We save on many other things. Our splurge areas are books, art supplies, music lessons, and travel. I consider all of those worthwhile entertainment, recreation, education, and family time.

Float On
5-10-12, 9:41am
For my hobbies - I cringe at spending money but I'll do it.
For our business - it's part of business. I'm getting ready to place an order for color, a small order and it'll be over $600. Next week I need to order batch and that'll be $1000. But to spend $12 on some fabirc almost makes me ill. :|( I found a fabric I was crazy about two years, spend $60 on it, almost got sick on the way back to the car and am so afraid to cut into it to make something that I haven't yet.

domestic goddess
5-10-12, 10:50am
We splurge, but we are frugal in other areas so that we can splurge on our hobbies.We are also no TV, no cable or netflix people, and I download as many free books on my kindle as I can, so we do have some discretionary cash for our hobbies. My oldest dgd is at an age where there are more school activities she can participate in, so she gets free entertainment and the chance to try some new things there. Next year, her sister can start participating in more school activities. During the summer, they both like to play outside with the other kids around here, and we do some crafty things, too, so boredom is rarely a problem for anyone.

cattledog
5-10-12, 11:30am
I totally splurge. My main hobbies are knitting and quilting. I usually can't find enough of a discounted yarn to knit a whole sweater. I'm kind of picky too. I want an interesting color/dye and I don't like acrylic. Fabric for quilting is kind of the same way. I don't make a lot of quilts. I hand quilt vs. machine quilting, so it takes me a while to complete one. I don't want to spend hours and hours on a quilt that I'm indifferent about. However, I am going to make a quilt for my DD's new big girl bed. I'm going to make this one out of scraps. I have the feeling it will go through a lot of washings.

Sissy
5-10-12, 12:17pm
I always have to check out any new calligraphy pens, ink, papers, colored pencils, sketchbooks. Drooling comes into play.:)

I love to fondle new yarn, but I have way too much stash to even think about it!

Yes, I spend too much when I do actually spend.

small & friendly
5-21-12, 11:45pm
Hmm. As a new quilter I've had to buy the basics: a self-healing mat, a rotary cutter, notions, fabrics and a couple books. My guess is I've invested at least $60.00 on these supplies and it makes me uncomfortable. I don't like spending that much money on 'non-essentials', but I feel the Lord has put it into us to enjoy and be drawn to certain artistic expressions, and as long as I stay in my budget and meet all my responsibilities including tithes and offerings, it's not wrong.

Cable is dirt cheap because our apt. building got a package deal when the cable company first came to town. I'm talking $12.00/month for about 60+ channels. ISP is $27.00 a month and I think that's very cheap compared to what a lot of others pay. So, I do have cable and ISP, but together they are still under $50.00 a month.

I guess as long as I don't just stockpile the supplies, but actually produce something in the end it will be worth it. :)

Spartana
5-22-12, 7:53pm
My hobbies are all sports or recreational stuff which can get very expensive for equiptment and fees (ski lift tickets, etc..). But fortunately I have eliminated alot of the more expensive things I do - or found a way to do the cheaper - for free or low cost things. Or at least things that you only have to buy equiptment once and never again. So I might buy something once -like a kayak or bike - but then after that purchase it doesn't cost me anything to do the activity. I also run competetively (ultramarathons) which can get expensive for race fees anbd just getting to the place where the run is. I've REALLY cut back on doing those alot but it's one area that I'll spend money on. I try to combine the races with travel so that I sort of kill 2 birds with one stone.

Leelee
5-23-12, 4:00am
I spend way too much money on my craft supplies and am toying with the idea of a no spend on these items for 6 mths or a year. I could just work with the materials that I already have and be creative with substituting for the "ingredients " that I don't have. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it's one of my only splurge areas. I think I'll take stock of what I already have and see how much money I could save.

redfox
5-23-12, 4:38am
I have an awesome yarn stash, which I call my yarn store. About 80% of it is from the Goodwill. When I'm itching to do a project, I go yarn hunting in my stash. It's all natural fibers too. The only downside is that there isn't enough of any one kind of yarn for a big project. I knit lots of socks consequently!

redfox
5-23-12, 4:39am
And... my recent chandelier obsession means I have 5 of them waiting to be fixed up & painted or otherwise repurposed. That's a bit over the top!

citrine
5-23-12, 11:19am
I definitely splurge on paint, spray paint, canvas, and vinyl....but I balance it out by curb shopping for furniture and things to repurpose! I am now hooked on gardening as well and we just finished landscaping the front yard. We have a whole back yard to do and that can definitely get expensive, but we are going to build a lot of the garden furniture/elements ourselves so that will save some money.

chanterelle
5-23-12, 12:55pm
I work mainly in fiber and fabric, and while I do not scrimp on materials, I make sure that projects are very involved and multi faceted to stretch the time and budget for each creation.
Weavings are mainly with fine thread, complicated threading and treadle arrangements, knit projects are fine spun and plied then, dyed, and worked with many stitches to the inch and complicated patterns.....same with sewing/quilting projects.
This way I can work with quality materials and still stay within a reasonable budget overall.
Like Redfox, I do accumulate bits and bobs of things and then have a great time working them together into a unified, creative piece.
Of course, as one project can take weeks if not months, this won't work with children and many teens, so I guess it's not of much help for parents.

Florence
5-23-12, 1:15pm
I do spend money on my quilting supplies but it makes to so happy to see all the quilts I have made over the years being loved and used. I spend next to nothing on clothes or television/movies but just put me in a quilt or fabric shop and I am a real danger to my bank account...:|(

I just finished a baby quilt and it is darling. I have at least 4 quilts running around in my head right now, itching to get put together.

awakenedsoul
5-23-12, 9:58pm
I used to spend over $100. a month on dance classes. That was my profession, so it was also a deduction. Now I tend to spend on antiques from thrift stores. Is that creative expression? Decorating? It feels like it. I just love them. I have found a few gorgeous antique lamps for $15.00 and had them fixed. Now they are each worth several hundred dollars. They are so beautiful. I just bought a 1950's antique O'Keefe and Merritt gas stove. It will cost me $840. to bring up to code, but the techician said that once he finishes it will be worth $5,000. I found it through the Penny Saver for $230. So, that's become my hobby. It's very rewarding. When I was a struggling artist, I never had the money to fix anything! I used to splurge on dance classes and would sometimes eat popcorn all week. But, I was young and had big dreams...it worked out in the end, and I had a wonderful artistic career. Now I stockpile and eat like a queen!

redfox
5-23-12, 10:13pm
And... my recent chandelier obsession means I have 5 of them waiting to be fixed up & painted or otherwise repurposed. That's a bit over the top!

Updated to add... A sixth chandelier! This one is a typical junk piece, fake oiled bronze. Just dissected it, took out all the wiring, and hung it from the fig tree. When the rain stops, I'll hang canning jars with votives in it for evening garden lighting. Got it at Goodwill, of course!

Nella
5-26-12, 1:08pm
I do spend money on my quilting supplies but it makes to so happy to see all the quilts I have made over the years being loved and used. I spend next to nothing on clothes or television/movies but just put me in a quilt or fabric shop and I am a real danger to my bank account...:|(
Florence, Oh, me too, me too. Fortunately I've been working at a quilt store so I do get my employee discount, but YIKES! When I think of all the unused fabric and kits I've been collecting...boy oh boy, the money I've invested is considerable.

small & friendly
5-26-12, 4:47pm

I just finished a baby quilt and it is darling. I have at least 4 quilts running around in my head right now, itching to get put together.

I'd love to see some pictures, espcially the baby quilt. (:

Stella
5-26-12, 9:29pm
I'd love to see pictures too.

I splurged on a new sewing machine last week. My old one was older than me by 8 years and had gotten really quirky.