PDA

View Full Version : Rush for Obama

Gregg
5-11-12, 12:55pm
During a discussion with DS last night I was kind of playing devil's advocate and said that Rush, Hannity, Beck, et al, are probably crossing their fingers hoping the President wins reelection. If you think about it, a Romney win would leave them with four years of nothing to do except promote conspiracy theories. If Mr. Obama wins they would at least have a real demon to chase. Of course the same situation would apply in reverse for all the left of center commentators and pundits who would make a killing off a Romney win. Strange bedfellows indeed.

creaker
5-11-12, 1:14pm
Maybe - but it didn't seem like Rush and co. ran out of things to talk about during the previous administration.

Gregg
5-11-12, 1:32pm
No, neither did the MSNBC crowd during the Clinton years, they just didn't have that steady stream of new material.

peggy
5-11-12, 2:31pm
During a discussion with DS last night I was kind of playing devil's advocate and said that Rush, Hannity, Beck, et al, are probably crossing their fingers hoping the President wins reelection. If you think about it, a Romney win would leave them with four years of nothing to do except promote conspiracy theories. If Mr. Obama wins they would at least have a real demon to chase. Of course the same situation would apply in reverse for all the left of center commentators and pundits who would make a killing off a Romney win. Strange bedfellows indeed.

Well, your choice could not include three more ignorant dolts, but I'm betting there are plenty of moderate republicans, including many in congress, who are crossing their fingers and hoping Obama wins because 1) they know Romney and 2) they love their country and truly want what's best for it.

Gregg
5-11-12, 2:37pm
Well, your choice could not include three more ignorant dolts...

Because they are secretly supporting reelection?

bae
5-11-12, 3:01pm
Bashing of Public Figures. It is okay to critique actions and policies. Do not name-call. It is okay to say "X's policy on 'A S'more At Every Campfire' is really stupid". It is not okay to say "X is really stupid for advancing the S'more policy.

It is a puzzlement to me how some people are allowed to continually vent their spleen around here.

LDAHL
5-11-12, 3:24pm

The Daily Show wins either way.

Alan
5-11-12, 3:31pm
It is a puzzlement to me how some people are allowed to continually vent their spleen around here.

Speaking for myself, I was always terribly disappointed in the way the old site used the rules to silence certain people while ignoring others. Of course, the people who were silenced, such as you and I, were the ones deemed to be on the wrong side of the political & ideological divide. I'd like to think we've advanced past that type of response and that all opinions, outside of direct assaults on other members, are welcome.

While some of our members may show poor forum etiquette at times, or always, I'd prefer that to subjecting everyone to ultimately subjective moderation. Having been a victim of that, I'd prefer that no else be. Just my 2 cents.

iris lily
5-11-12, 3:45pm
Speaking for myself, I was always terribly disappointed in the way the old site used the rules to silence certain people while ignoring others. Of course, the people who were silenced, such as you and I, were the ones deemed to be on the wrong side of the political & ideological divide. I'd like to think we've advanced past that type of response and that all opinions, outside of direct assaults on other members, are welcome.

While some of our members may show poor forum etiquette at times, or always, I'd prefer that to subjecting everyone to ultimately subjective moderation. Having been a victim of that, I'd prefer that no else be. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, this is the lesser evil, and thank the Gods those bad old days are gone.

Gregg
5-11-12, 3:54pm
Any moderation is ultimately subjective and best avoided in an atmosphere where adults engage in civil discourse in an effort to better understand positions they do not necessarily share. If that breaks down, the offending member(s) have multiple other venues to choose from where their opinions will be supported and their style better appreciated. The past incarnation of the forums was always a work in progress, as is this one. Drumhead trials are not conducted here, nor is summary justice dispensed, but action will be taken in an effort to safeguard the experience of the other members here if attacks get personal or the vitriol becomes too caustic. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to make that an objective statement.

peggy
5-11-12, 5:12pm

You know bae, there are some pretty smart computer people here who can help you with that whole 'settings adjustment' thing...I'm just saying.

peggy
5-11-12, 5:18pm
Because they are secretly supporting reelection?

Because it's Rush, Hannity and Beck! LOL! Certainly there are some brighter, less caustic republican pundits who hope for a lively next 4 years through re-election.
These three build their whole existence on lies, innuendo, and truly tin foil hat conspiracies. Name some partisan, but clever and entertaining, republican pundits.

Zoebird
5-12-12, 3:13am
I don't know, really.

I mean, Rush has been around for a long time, including during a time of republican presidencies, and he certainly had plenty to vent about in other areas of government and calling all manner of "liberals" all manner of insane names (like "feminazis"). So, it seems to me that it doesn't matter who is in power, entertainers will find a way to create the entertainment that they sell.

LDAHL
5-12-12, 11:22am
Agreed, this is the lesser evil, and thank the Gods those bad old days are gone.

I agree also. the occasional boorish fatuity seems a price worth paying to avoid smothering moderation. I think they strike a pretty good balance here.

iris lily
5-12-12, 7:30pm
You know bae, there are some pretty smart computer people here who can help you with that whole 'settings adjustment' thing...I'm just saying.

I have to confess, peggy, this was pretty funny. I snorted.