PDA

View Full Version : Moonglow Upright Juniper

dado potato
5-12-12, 10:44pm
Today I bought one for $22 and planted it as a specimen in the front of the house. It's beautiful. I look forward to seeing it grow every summer and be a silver-blue-green accent every winter. They say it's hardy to -40 degrees, and it will live for 70 years. And the deer will not eat it!

Mrs-M
5-12-12, 10:58pm
I know the exact specimen. A lovely choice, Dado! As far as being deer-friendly goes, Moonglow Junipers, are a specimen that are classified as being "deer tolerant", so don't be at all surprised if the deer (over the course of winter when food sources become more scarce) nibble on your Juniper and do a little pruning for you.

Additionally, and contrary to what many of the conifer-info tags state, you will need to lightly shear your Moonglow, every year/every other year, to provide for a well shaped/symmetrical specimen. Also, be vigilant Re: heavy snowfalls. Seasonal weight of snow on bows can (and will) damage delicate branches, even fracturing them in some cases. Oh, and water the dickens out of it for the first two seasons!

Mrs-M
5-12-12, 11:19pm
To add, if you find your Moonglow, not holding up well to heavy snowfalls, simply burlap the tree (early fall) and leave it wrapped until spring. Same goes for deer grazing. Burlap will do the trick.

dado potato
5-14-12, 10:32am
Thanks Mrs-M...

I was wondering if I should protect the juniper from the snow load with twine, but I see your point about burlap and deer!

Mrs-M
5-14-12, 7:11pm
You're welcome, Dado.

Twine is excellent for keeping conifers bound and shaped (winter months), just so long as no deer frequent your yard, otherwise I'd go with burlap, and make sure you wrap the burlap so that it touches the ground around the base of your Moonglow.

Junipers, are hardy, and will stand up to most anything (drought included), provided Juniper specimens are established, but what a shame it would be to have deer damage the first growing season, and have to wait 2-3 seasons to see that damage replaced with new growth.

Additional tid-bit. Junipers, compared to other dwarf/standard variety conifers, grow quickly, so do be sure that you planted your new tree with ample room around it (and above it). I've seen people plant upright Junipers, beside entry stairs, and for the first handful of years the trees are fine, but then comes the day when they start interfering with roofs and such.

Mrs-M
5-14-12, 7:36pm
To add, if you find you need to shape/shear your Moonglow, after the first/second growing season, go lightly (and no later than late spring), and follow the natural shape of the tree to preserve the esthetic properties/nature of the specimen.

One of the great attributes of Junipers, particularly uprights, is they respond well to shearing. (Shearing equates to a thicker conifer). A good thing! Oh, and when watering Junipers/Arborvitae, spray the tree itself. Spraying (regularly) maintains a inhospitable environment for undesirable insects.

As far as fertilizing goes, wait until next year (earliest), and choose a quality "Evergreen Fertilizer" for the purpose. Do not fertilize after July 15th.

Additionally, many gardeners are unaware of the fact, that conifers feed, and do best, with thoroughly soaked roots come winter, so water your Moonglow, and any other conifers you have (heavily) right up to and including the first heavy frost. Your trees will thank you for it! Of course you can continue watering after the first heavy frost (if you so wish), but the lead-up to is the most important watering of all. It establishes conifers, and prepares them for a healthy wintering.

Mrs-M
7-9-12, 9:03pm
Hi, Dado. Do post an update when you can Re:. Would love to hear how your Moonglow is doing. :)

dado potato
7-11-12, 7:29am
Thank you for asking. It is positively fabulous in its new home, in a kidney-shaped bed with some other shrubs, red mulch and garden cloth covering the soil. We had a bright moon last night, and yes... "you can even say it glows!"

After some recent rains a spongy yellow fungus fruited in a cluster at the base of the juniper. It is a species I do not recognize. I am hoping the mycelium of the mushroom is dining on the compost rather than the juniper!

Mrs-M
7-11-12, 10:02am
Great to hear. Love... kidney-shaped flowerbeds!

CathyA
7-11-12, 10:05am
Your fungus is probably growing out of the mulch and will stay there. Did you just recently buy the mulch?

CathyA
7-11-12, 10:06am
If it appears to glow in the moonlight, you might want to make the area a moonlight garden.....with all white flowers!

iris lily
7-11-12, 10:17am
Your fungus is probably growing out of the mulch and will stay there. Did you just recently buy the mulch?

Mulch queen here. I've always got fungi (well, not in this current weather of ten days of 100+F degree heat) but generally speaking fungi is an innocuous part of garden mulch. It is harmless. Sometimes I get that spectacular orange phallic form fungi and it is highly amusing.

http://tinyurl.com/7dsss9g

Mrs-M
7-11-12, 11:07am
Originally posted by Iris Lily.
Sometimes I get that spectacular orange phallic form fungi and it is highly amusing. http://ic.hobh.org/forums/images/smilies/1237389l5e9y2e4mo.gif http://ic.hobh.org/forums/images/smilies/1237378tapy7m6a6j.gif

Mrs-M
10-5-12, 8:19am
Dado. With Autumn here, I thought of you the other day. (You, and the Moonglow, you planted). Are you treating your Moonglow, to ample amounts of water before the heavy frosts hit?

dado potato
10-9-12, 8:08pm
Definitely, and the sky is doing its bit too. (We are having days of rain.)

Mrs-M
10-10-12, 12:47pm
That's great, Dado! Hope you're enjoying the Autumn season.