PDA

View Full Version : Found dog, but she must be lost?

ctg492
5-16-12, 9:21am
She is a sweet, full of love, well mannered, 60 pound,3 year old, bundle of love Rott mix(?). Her eye is going blind from a genetic issue and needs surgery. She had been in the park for a week, skunk sprayed, dirty and hungry. Yet her collar was new, no tags. Her nails were short and she know how to stand to be groomed, she had been spayed. We brought her home. I have had her to the Vet twice in the last week. Posted on every site, emailed Vet offices in two cities, Sheriff, Police, Animal shelters and Control, Radio station.....Nothing.
I am at a loss, who would not be searching for this dog????Surley someone is heart broken???
We have now named her Cubby as she looks like a Bear Cub. Her much needed surgery is set for next week for her eye. Maybe she came to us for this reason.
She is ours now and I feel good that I made a difference in her life and ours, but sorry for who ever lost her.

PS the Sheriff told me people "dump" pets in the park :(

cdttmm
5-16-12, 9:35am
Good for you, ctg492, for rescuing her! Perhaps her previous owners dumped her because they couldn't afford her eye surgery. It makes me sad when people do that -- why not just turn the dog into a shelter or a breed rescue rather than dumping her and just hoping someone will find her and take care of her? Of course, if you don't have no-kill shelters in your area I guess that could impact your decision.

We have three fabulous dogs who came to us through rescue. Two were dumped and we know little about their previous lives; the third was turned into a shelter because "she keeps having too many puppies." No joke, that's a direct quote from the previous owners.

JaneV2.0
5-16-12, 9:52am
Everyone I know has taken in a stray or two. You searched for loving owners; now i wouldn't give it another thought. The universe has brought you together--here's to many years of happy companionship!

iris lily
5-16-12, 9:54am
"going blind..."

she's been dumped. People are scum.

You, OTOH, are a goddess.

Sad Eyed Lady
5-16-12, 10:19am
Blessings to you ctg492 for sharing your home and your heart with this one who needed you. Maybe she wasn't "dumped", could have been other circumstances, but whatever they are she has you now and that is a blessing.

CathyA
5-16-12, 10:44am
Have you put an ad in the local paper, or looked in the paper for a lost dog?
I'd hate for you to fall in love with it, only to find the owner. But you've covered most of your bases.

Bless your heart for taking the dog in.
Its hard to believe that people just dump pets, but they do. Sometimes they move into places that don't take pets.
But that's no reason to just dump the pet.
Maybe they figure if they leave it in a dog part, dog lovers will find it and care for it.
Still no excuse though.
Good luck with your new friend.

creaker
5-16-12, 12:29pm
A lot of people consider pets as "disposable". My eldest is planning to move to LA and someone she knows casually asked her if she'd be bringing her cat - she was horrified.

CathyA
5-16-12, 12:41pm
I don't know what I'd do if I were in the position of not being able to take a pet with me, for a new home/apartment, or job. I just don't think I'd be able to do it!

ctg492
5-16-12, 2:53pm
2 things that bothered me about this event was, I would call places and tell the story. NOT ONE place asked for my number, just incase someone called looking. Every place told me the same thing, "Looks like you got a new dog". I would then send my name and number and discription to the assorted places. We have a small shelter here(that I have always thought is poorly run) I have called a few times on dogs I find biking. Not once do they ask if they can help. They tell me to call animal control. I had to send an email with all the info. I suppose every place is just over run with strays and turned over pets.
Next is how fast Cubby adjusted to the house and my two other dogs( both previous rescues). I said WOW, would my dogs just adapt to anyone who was nice. I guess I thought they may miss me a few minutes at least.

puglogic
5-16-12, 2:54pm
Bless you, ctg, for taking care of this poor girl. These things happen for a reason.....she will give to you just as much or more than you're giving to her.
I forget who posted this here on SLN, but it really moved me deeply. I haven't looked at my dogs the same way since:
http://www.positivelypositive.com/2012/04/26/10-things-your-dog-would-tell-you/

My kind, courageous shepherd was an abused dog for the first two years of his life, which he lived outdoors, rain or shine, on an 8-foot chain. Yet he assimilated into our family so easily, and has been a rock for us ever since.

We live in the foothills above a major city, and the city people often bring their dogs up here to the parks to dump them. I have a long, long fuse temper-wise, but this kind of thing incites a rage inside me that kinda scares me.

chanterelle
5-16-12, 2:56pm
Since the recession really hit here, I find well cared for dogs left in the park down the block from me every few months or so.
Monday I hit the jackpot...2 gentle, bewildered sisters, about 2 or 3 years old, plump, well loved and cared for with color coordinated collars, harnesses and leashes were tied to a tree and left. Of course they had no tags, were not chipped and had not been spayed. Oh, and did I mention that it was pouring rain?

So now they are in the vet being cared for and having prodedures done while we all scramble looking for the ever more scarce placements which may be available for them.
I think that I could have put a kid through Yale on what I have spent on other people's pet discards over the years. I get so sad sometimes.

ctg492
5-16-12, 3:13pm
Thank you for taking care of those animals.
I have a 3 year old Retriever Mix that I got as a pup from a rescue. Then in Feb I searched and found the second perfect dog from the Shelter in another location, a year old mix beagle that had been starved and mis treated. She is perfect. I wondered How? Why? as both these girls are so wonderful. I now have this girl who is so great. So I am lucky and they are too. I joke now that I weight 120 and I have 150 pounds of dogs I am walking tied together!

citrine
5-16-12, 3:30pm
I am so glad that Cubby found you! I have two cats, one rescue and one from when he was 5 wks old. I don't know how people will just let go of their animals for a life change. I am one of the few that I know who treats them like my kids and would do anything for their health and safety.

razz
5-16-12, 8:07pm
I make a point of adopting our dogs from shelters because every dog needs a good home. Bless you for taking care of this one.

Blackdog Lin
5-16-12, 8:45pm
I am a terrible person.....in that the infomercials about the starving children in Ethiopia move me little, but a commercial about an abused dog brings me to tears. This is my terrible confession. I don't understand what it is about me that is wrong.....but I do love dogs, who have made their own genetic commitment to being partners to we humans. A life without a faithful dog? Worthless!

ctg: bless you, and may your rescue dog return the favor. puglogic: please don't post any more sentimental dog writings: I cried. And I "renewed our vows", without any words being spoken, to take care forever of our allergy-ridden hair-shedding medicine-consuming mutt of a baby. We made the commitment to take care of her, and we will, till her time is up.

iris lily
5-17-12, 12:06am
Found dogs: Out on my walk this evening I cam across a group of people at the entrance to the Park. They were standing around discussing what to do with two dogs who had been found in the Park. The dogs looked like someone's pets. A plan for them with temp overnight accommodations was being lined up when the dogs' dad drove by, slammed on his brakes, and jumped out of the car. He had been driving around for an hour looking for those two escapees. A happy ending.

I worried all day today about Henry, my former foster dog (a big handsome red boy) who may be moving to London. Flying bracycelphic dogs is not a good idea. Most airlines won't take them, anyway. But his Irish dad is adamant that Henry is going with his job transfer. So I do like that dad's devotion to the dog and we will see how this turns out. Fortunately our rescue coordinator has experience with flying dogs to Europe and thinks this will be ok if Henry takes a direct Lufthansa flight from Chicago to London.

puglogic
5-17-12, 9:16am
Last night, we were driving through our old town and almost ran down the dog of our former next-door neighbors (the Habitat family) which was running in the middle of the highway. We pulled over and called him and got him to jump in our truck, then we took him home. When we delivered him and told the owner where we'd found him (a good mile from their house) they just let him loose again, and he went tearing up the street. They laughed about him "going to play with the dogs up the street". He will likely end up dead or a stray, and it's a shame because he's a really nice, nice dog. I guess we can't save them all - but gosh I do get so angry at times when people take no responsibility for their creatures.

awakenedsoul
5-18-12, 7:02pm
Hi,
I used to be on the old forum and was finally able to log in. I couldn't remember my correct username for all this time. I've been reading all the posts here for the past year, and really enjoy this forum! How kind you were to take this dog into your family. She sounds wonderful. It's a sad story with a happy ending. Maybe the owner lost their job or home...
It's more likely a dog would find a good home in our local park, too. (I'm sorry to say.) I have 2 rescued dogs and a rescued chicken. They really appreciate the care and stability.

iris lily
5-18-12, 8:40pm
Since the recession really hit here, I find well cared for dogs left in the park down the block from me every few months or so.
Monday I hit the jackpot...2 gentle, bewildered sisters, about 2 or 3 years old, plump, well loved and cared for with color coordinated collars, harnesses and leashes were tied to a tree and left. Of course they had no tags, were not chipped and had not been spayed. Oh, and did I mention that it was pouring rain?

This reminds me of the two old bulldog "sisters" (not litter sisters, that's for sure) who we took in when the country pound called out bulldog club. The pound reported that the family of these dogs cried bringing them in, but they didn't know what the problem was that caused them to give up the dogs. The dogs were fat as ticks (and we had to slim them down) and they had the most luxurious fur coats I've even seen. To this day I would love to know what they were feeding these dogs, I've not seen that since, and because these two bulldogs were clearly from different breeders/lines, it had to be their food that caused these gorgeous plush coats. And both of those girls always wanted to leave, they were escapees. Fat, old, waddling bulldogs would take off on a run if allowed to leave. Most of the bulldog we've had stick around pretty close.

Anyway. Good for your for taking in these two.

bunnys
5-18-12, 8:51pm
I am a terrible person.....in that the infomercials about the starving children in Ethiopia move me little, but a commercial about an abused dog brings me to tears. This is my terrible confession. I don't understand what it is about me that is wrong.....but I do love dogs, who have made their own genetic commitment to being partners to we humans. A life without a faithful dog? Worthless!

No, you aren't terrible. I actually agree with you. I think you need to realize that there are so many more people out there allocating so many more resources to the starving children in Ethiopia and if there weren't some people who just put helping animals at the top of their good works list there wouldn't be much of anything being done for animals at all.

Ultimately, I believe that the lives of animals are equal value as human lives. I just don't accept the concept that species complexity = superiority/greater value. I think assuming humans are inherently more valuable simply because they are smarter or because someone presumably gave them "dominion" is the beginning of a slippery slope that give people carte blanche to do terrible things because it suits them--including casting out blind dogs and leaving siblings tied to a tree in the rain. That's just not an acceptable premise to me.

I applaud all who have done anything to help helpless animals who are entirely at our mercy. It's selfless and noble and does make you a good person.

chanterelle
5-23-12, 12:43pm
Great news on the abandoned dog front!!!!!
Both sisters have been placed in wonderful home situations. After watching them interact with other dogs and people we realized that it would not be traumatic to separate them so they have gone to 2 great owners.

My vet, the staff and all the rescue groups who were involved are all gods and goddesses in my eyes.
My 2 elderly dogs and herd of cats were happy to part with both energetic youngsters to be sure!
Of course I realize that if anyone comes up with a non boisterous cat lover of a poochie I am obliged to see if it would be a good fit here.

JaneV2.0
5-23-12, 2:53pm
I love happy endings!

rodeosweetheart
5-28-12, 6:26pm
Our cat Millie was a dumped cat (we lived on a farm) and she is by far the most awesome cat we've ever had, cleft palate and all.
We advertised for her lost owners (she had a collar) and no one responded, and we were moving in four weeks, but she came with us anyway. That was 7 years ago.
When we take her to board her at the vet they always say people want to keep her. She is the sweetest cat ever, and has free rein of the vet's office when she goes there.

ctg492
5-28-12, 6:45pm
When I got Cubby her license the other day, I made a big event and go the other dogs excited with treats. Telling all of them Cubby was now ours. Silly I bet for those that do not have pets, but pet people understand :)
She is doing very well with her eye surgery recovery. The stitches come out next week and then she gets a trip to the groomer to get all snazzied up.

JaneV2.0
5-28-12, 9:19pm
Is Cubby wearing a Cone of Shame? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/just_cuz/JC_duh.gif Did you convince her it was a party hat? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/laie/Laie_16.gif

Congratulations to all of you!

martha
5-29-12, 1:35am
Congratulations to Cubby and her new forever family! You found each other when you needed each other.

Two of my wonderful, loving, intelligent, furry family members came to me similarly, one found injured in a parking lot and the other dumped way out in the country. The first lived with me for 14 years, and the other just passed at 13 years a few weeks ago. They both took such good care of me.

The third I found at a rescue; someone had called them and said "I'm fixin' to shoot these pups unless y'all want 'em." His mom is a German Shephard and his dad must be a black lab because he looks like a lab. Sweetest, kindest, most loving fellow ever. My little parrot I found in the classifieds; there'd been a divorce and the bird was no longer wanted. Birds bond with their person and consider them their mate. They don't understand being tossed away, and they grieve. Fortunately he was young and decided that I was his person. He's the sweetest, least-demanding, most patient, easygoing and loving parrot I've ever known.

They've all taken such good care of me. I try to do as well by them. It kills me to have to leave them to spend all day at work. My friends have given up trying to persuade me to go out on work nights; I'm not leaving them alone all day and then rushing home and back out and leaving them again.

Bless you for making space in your life and in your heart for Cubby. May you have many happy years together.

martha
5-29-12, 1:47am
Great news on the abandoned dog front!!!!!
Both sisters have been placed in wonderful home situations.

Such a blessing! That's wonderful news! Bless you for rescuing them and helping them find their forever homes.