PDA

View Full Version : Been there done that...

tootall
5-18-12, 12:46pm
Hello,
My name is Joe and I am 28 years old, married with a 6 month old boy, mortgage and two dogs. This is my attempt at an introduction and also an offering of my knowladge that I have.

My story:(May 2011) My wife of 7 years and I had finally gotten pregnant after multiple 1st trimester miscarriges. The boy was doing fine and Mama worked at a local Childrens Clinic that is Doctor owned, best place to work ever!! Regular bonuses, contributes to her 401K, low low stress and everyone is there for the kids and it truly shows that they love what they do. However there is not as much money being in a job that you enjoy as there would be in a job that is stressfull and crazy, but decent pay and good health insurance.

My job as a Diesel Mechanic was great paying, decent health care and a incredibly horrible place to work. Besides beating my self up on the job as a heavy equipment, log truck and school bus mechanic, I helped train two managers my own age that had no experience what so ever. Add to that the fact I was low man on the Totem Pole I got all the worst jobs and was constantly passed over for pay increases and the senior mechanic just loved making life for everyone misserable...me especially. The last boss asked me if I slept with his ex-wife? Or what I did to earn the constant hasseling...but some people are just that way! So at the end of it the branch was shut down because the practices were incredibly unfit in regards to the EPA and contamination, along with the manager never wanting to take the position and the economic down turn effecting us about 2-3 years later than everybody else. So I was layed off on 9-2-11 and that was fine since I hated the job and was already looking for an out from that place and the "for profit" mechanic because they payed me $20.90 and charged out $116.75 per hr when I billed, but still complained that I over-repaired. At the end I figure that I was trained for 7 years and left there with multiple certificates and the ability to rebuild diesel engines as a journeyman level.

So on 9-9-11 I bought an old PUD service body truck and started my own business. Too Tall's Truck mobile repair service, it seemed like a good fit since all my customers were still in the area and never wanted to afford the dealer costs for the maintenence or repairs. So I was able to take advantage of WA states Self Emplolyment Assistance Program and draw my unemployment while I started my business. It is alot of work and effort to even think of breaking even with costs let alone become proffitable, but I figured I would give it a go and could always take a steady job if one arose, but never again for a "for profit" corperation that kept me inside of an exclusivity clause (keeping me from helping my self on the side).

So on 10-19-11 my wife was put on bed rest because of low amniotic fluid. On 10-21-11 she was summoned to Seattle Swedish Hospital for bed rest and 24 hour observation!!! There goes income number two! The best part of that all is that her employer paid for her medical insurance just the same as if she was working full time. So after 20 days of bedrest with bathroom privilages (after the nurse came and unhooked the baby's moniter leads) I went to an interview for a good job as School Bus mechanic, on my way over to visit my wife I got the denial call. Next morning at 8am the nurse came running into the hospital room and moved my wife around because the boy's heart rate was dropped and not returning (laying on his cord in his small appartment). 20 minutes later he was out via emergency C-section, which was way better than a helicopter flight, we just changed rooms on the same floor.

So Alden James O***** was born 11-9-11 at 1 lbs 15 oz and 13.5" at a date of 27 weeks and 6 days....91 days too early! Our income was now low enough that we qualified for an appartment near the hospital since our son was on Medicaid, which was great for my wife. She spent the time at the hospital in the NICU or ISCU and our son did great for 125 days and got to come home!

Within 2 weeks we realized that my wife needed to go back to work to bring in some more income as our family was very charitable during the winter and we made it barely...so we did as much trimming as possible financially. We sold her Saturn and my business has a Yukon and F250 both of which I use regurlarly for work and for boyo transport but the insurance is $2000 per year for full coverage on the Yukon, liability on the F250 and tool coverage as well as liability insurance, so it is not very costly.

We were already planning on me taking full-time care of our son once he came home since my wife had a job to go back to and I have work when I schedule it. So for me to keep busy I would spend lots of time and maybe get the work since repairs are after fauilres normally!

So at one point we had over $1000 per month going towards insurance and auto loans, now we have $120 payments on our 1997 Yukon that is a business asset.

No piped in TV, DVD's and Hulu Plus but internet cost is around $55 with business office line.

Cell phones are $130 which kills me since I use Wifi on my iPhone anyways but have to pay for a data plan. Which I would do away with in a second but as a mobile repair service I have to have a cell phone so customers can contact me.

We are trying to modify our mortgage which isn't bad at 6.125% fixed for 30 years, but since I was laid off we are dealing with underwriters to see if we can get it modified. Current 1st and HELOC payments $1300 per month... we did the super smart thing of getting a $43k HELOC and clearing all our debt up, then buying newer cars and trucks and getting back into debt!! Now 3 years later we are trimmed back down to where we were right after the HELOC was dispursed.

We don't eat out except for the rare trip to "Frugal's" a drive thru only burger joint that makes them like you would at home for $1.39 for a plain 1/4 lb burger which can still get into the $15 range for us two but I burn two burgers easily so it is pretty cost effective splurge. Other than that I clean up at Albertsons with the "reduced for quick sale" meat and freeze it or cook it right away. Other than that food is our highest expense.

Our utility bill is a consistant $250 year round and we can't improve on that without investing in more effecient windows, we do burn firewood in the winter to help.

We have never taken a vacation trip since we have been married in 2006 when we went to Las Vegas for the ceramony. I would rather go on road trips with our son than fly anywhere...I hate excessive amounts of people.

I have taken a major change in my mindset the last year or so...from having cool things to having what I need. I set my hourly charge out rate at $65 and a $45 destination charge to get me to the customers, so I feel it is reasonable and "enough" which is all that I need to cover my costs. But I am trying like crazy to think of other ways to save money.

-we buy diapers at COSTCO because the inital investment of cloth diapers is rediculous and the labor involved is more than we want to invest

-we buy baby wipes because they are cheap and easy when compared to making them out of Bounty rolls

-we can't afford to buy organic foods over normal foods

-we eat very little processed foods since they have very little satity, and the whole potatoe fills you better than a package of mashed

-neither one of us drink alchohol (I used to drink MacNaughtons at $24 1/2 gallon so I was frugal right)

-we buy at COSTCO whenever we can to buy in bulk

I have read lots of those "Save Money Tips" and we pretty much do them. But I am wanting a Stand Mixer and feel that could help save money on bread, cookies, and make food prep alot easier...been wanting for 8 months now just picking the right version.

Long rant...rant off....and Hello!

razz
5-18-12, 1:26pm
Welcome and feel free to ask questions. Most of us have been in some version of your experience at one point or another.

crunchycon
5-18-12, 1:38pm
Welcome - I look forward to hearing more (after your son naps!).

lmerullo
5-18-12, 1:48pm
Welcome! Feel free to look around - I'm sure you will find lots of good information here.

fidgiegirl
5-18-12, 5:49pm
Glad you have you, too tall. You have been through a lot. Check out the monthly frugals thread for lots of ideas about how to save money. And if you are really brave, post your budget. You will get some ideas you don't want to hear, but ideas you will get ;)

Wildflower
5-19-12, 2:15am
So glad you're here! Looking forward to hearing more from you, and so happy for you that your son did well after a very premature birth!

catherine
5-19-12, 9:28am
Welcome: And for the stand mixer--Have you checked out freecycle.org in your area? You might find one there if you're patient!

lhamo
5-19-12, 8:14pm
Welcome, tootall! I was born at Swedish and my family still lives in the Seattle area.

Do you eat a lot of bread? If so, the Orowheat outlets are a great place to stock up for free. I haven't been for a long time, but there used to be one in Bellevue and there is one near Gasworks park in Seattle.

Depending on how close you are to Seattle, the International District is a GREAT place to stock up on meat and vegetables for good prices. My husband and I used to drive down from Lake City once a week and fill up the trunk. The smells, sights and sounds take a little getting used to if you havent spent a lot of time in Asia, but the savings can be well worth it.

Your business sounds like a great idea, but hard to figure out how to combine that with full-time child care, since people's repair emergencies are probably most likely to come up during working hours (when they go out to start the car for the morning or return commute and find it won't start) or when they're broken down on the freeway somewhere. Is there a relative or neighbor nearby who you could rely on for drop off care for your son when you need to get to a job? Another thing you could try to do as you build the business is bring someone else on to help you -- that way there is coverage if you can't make it to a job.

Good luck and we look forward to getting to know you. There are quite a few Seattle-area people on the boards, so hopefully they will have good money-saving tips for you.

lhamo

tootall
6-19-12, 1:03am
Well we are thinning the herd down more and more. We did have 5 vehicles (2 insured) now we have two. Both of them are in the business name and useage so they are going to help at tax time!

We are in the process of refinancing our mortgage, but since we are only under 35 days late we can't get a whole lot of help...so it goes slow.

I will post our budget soon for critique (sp)

We do simple things like buy $300 couch, chai and ottoman used rather than a new set for $1200. Our doggos licked and stunk up our microfiber set while we were in hospital for 3 months with our son and the doggos didn't get enough pets.

We break up the doggo chicken jerky treats into 3/8" pieces since all they care about is getting somthing! They go a long ways that way.

fidgiegirl
6-19-12, 7:08am
Tootall, so glad you came back and checked in. The vehicle thing is a major triumph! Well done!

artist
6-19-12, 7:41am
Welcome to the board.
Cell phone can be difficult but you can change to basic phone just for calls and save a fortune. Second hand shops often have phones for sale for less than $20 that are very basic and you can just swap them out for your high end phone with your provider. Drop the data plan and still win. We pay $112 a month for three phones with shared minutes and unlimited text.

Saving money at grocery store is a challenge. Have you considered bartering your diesel repair services with your local farmers. Fix their equiptment, tractors etc... in exchange for a butchered cow, fresh fruits, veggies, milk, cheese, butter and eggs?

leslieann
6-19-12, 8:08am
Welcome, tootall, and congratulations to you and your wife on the addition to the family! You guys have been through a lot and now you are settling in and settling down and seeing where it will all go. I hope your business does well but full time child care is certainly full time especially with a little one. If you are providing a quality service for a good price, people will learn to love your business but you might need to cater to folks around routine maintenance rather than crisis repair work...I wonder if the farm idea would fly? Sounds good, anyway. You'll be able to figure out about taking on a helper and/or finding a part time child minder as you move along in your business life and family life. I am happy that you are here and hope you stick around and talk more!

KayLR
6-19-12, 12:24pm
Welcome, TooTall, from a fellow Washingtonian. You are doing a lot of good things. I'm glad you're here; you're bound to learn a lot from these folks. I have.

tootall
12-31-12, 12:19pm
2013 Plan:

-One vehicle on Liability and PIP insurance, it is paid for 1997 Yukon that I added a 3rd row seat to so that my in-laws (3 bodies) can come with us on trips to the zoo or beach
-My business is shut down and I owe nothing to anybody relating to the business, cash always gets me out of the house anyways!
-Cloth diapers from my mom that my little sisters used (got to try them but they seem like a lot of work)
-I bought an Osprey Poco Premium child carrier and intend to use that instead of driving my son places daily, we can always drop mom off at work and use the Yukon if need
-Our income has dropped to around $24,000 from my wife and that puts under poverty so we qualify for lower electical charges and for window replacements

All in all I am happy and have decided to shut down the business because I don't want the stress of it when I can't devote the time to be profitable anyways. So now I am full time daddy and probably going to start some college courses in the Spring: Early Childhood Development, Forstry or Ecology but fear the English, Math and other useless (for Me) requirements.

Also toying with the concept of home schooling which would be far superior to that State funded daycare of 35 students to 1 teacher they call Public School.

Tussiemussies
12-31-12, 4:01pm
Hi too tall, thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I'm sure you will find plenty of useful information here there are a lot of smart and creative people on this board! Looking forward to chatting wiping you...

AnneM
1-1-13, 2:14pm
Welcome, tootall! From another Washingtonian. I don't post much, but check in once a week or so to see what's happening in the frugals threads. I get lots of ideas there.

Lhamo, the Oroweat outlets are still open. I shop at the one in Bellevue all the time. There is also a Franz bread outlet store in Tukwila that I will go to if in the area.

Mrs-M
1-1-13, 2:54pm
Originally posted by Tootall.
-Cloth diapers from my mom that my little sisters used (got to try them but they seem like a lot of work)When you get serious about using those old-fashioned cloth diapers, let me know, and I'll be glad to help guide you through any stumbles/bumbles you may encounter. :)

Used old-fashioned diapers on all six of my kids... rubber pants, pins, diaper pail, clothesline drying and all!

P.S. Using old-fashioned cloth, isn't a lot of work at all.

Mrs-M
1-1-13, 3:17pm
P.S. Tootall. Overlooked extending a warm welcome to you! So happy to have you as an addition to our home!

HumboldtGurl
1-1-13, 4:25pm
Tootall, welcome! I'm just now catching up on your story. Wow!

It sounds like you're doing a lot of really awesome things to live well and frugally. One thing I might add...have you ever checked out Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book? This is a great resource not just to get out of debt but to really manage your finances, stay in control and grow financially. He's helped my husband and I so much, I think his suggestions could really help make your life easier.

Oh and Happy New Year!

Selah
1-2-13, 1:54am
Welcome, Too Tall! I, too, was born at Swedish Hospital in Seattle, although I grew up in Michigan. You have indeed been through a lot, and I'm so glad your son 'lived to tell the Too Tall tale,' so to speak! Good for you for starting a business that makes auto repair fairly priced for all...desperately needed during these hard times. Welcome again.

Mrs-M
1-4-13, 4:59pm
Tootall. FYI. Tussiemussies, started this (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?7070-A-Beginners-Guide-To-Frugal-Cloth-Diapering) thread in the Frugality, Products & Purchases Forum, which I think makes for a great entry level starting point/place to learn/post other helpful ideas/hints/tips and things (for cloth-newbies).

So, if interested, I would be more than willing to post a few pictures of different folds/proper pinning, etc.

Something for you to think about.