PDA

View Full Version : This made me think.....

gimmethesimplelife
5-19-12, 4:53pm
Recently I was in Los Algodones, Mexico, having some dental work done and I stayed overnight for two nights. It is a fairly small town, and easy to navigate on foot so I spent some time walking around. During my stay I noticed how much cheaper basic things can be in Mexico - .36 for a toothbrush, .81 for a 600 ml bottle of Dr. Pepper that costs me 1.59 in Phoenix, 1.92 for 30 tablets of indomethacin that cost me $4 in Phoenix. What really grabbed me though is when I got a late night ride to a pharmacy from a front desk clerk at the place I was staying at - he dropped off some food for his son at the house he rents for $250 a month and I had the chance to see it inside and I was amazed - for $250 it was more than adequate. The next day I walked by a total stranger who told me the smartest thing he's ever done is to sell everything off and move to Algodones - an American saying this, let me stress this. Funny as I was thinking in the back of my mind, I wonder if it would be somehow feasible to live here in the future? If I could find a way to generate passive income and then live there and pay those costs, I could avoid a lot of the stress of everyday US life and really bump up the quality of my life.....

Having said that, I realize living in a dusty desert border town is not for everyone, and I understand that not all are going to leap at the chance to do so. The cost diffentials are really making me think, though.....Rob

lhamo
5-19-12, 7:48pm
Rob,

Why not give it a try? Do you own a home in Phoenix? How far is it between the two places? If you don't want to make a full commitment, maybe you could rent out your place (assuming you own) for 6-12 months, put stuff in storage, and see how it goes south of the border.

And blog about it -- would be lots of interesting stories, I bet.

lhamo

iris lily
5-19-12, 8:34pm
For the reasons you mention it's not for everyone. I wouldn't do it and wouldn't think of doing it unless I had some kind of severe reversal of fortunes. All of the things I like to do: Grow lilies and iris, look at architecture, participate in cultural events--not happening in Algonones. But that said, I believe that I understand the attraction and I think one could make an full and enriching life if one worked at it.

shadowmoss
5-21-12, 4:05pm
It's the same down here in Honduras. So far, it's ok. I've been here 20 months and survived. I'll be here about 10 months more, according to Plan A, to reach my financial goals. I pay about $350/mo for a really nice 2 br/2ba apartment, water is $1/mo and electric about $25/mo. However, I do miss the options in the US, options to go where I want when I want, to hike, drive, shop wherever I want and be safe. I will be more inclined to spend time in Central America now than I would have been before, but I am also looking forward to getting back to the US for a long stretch of time. Not having deep roots in any one place so I can move as I choose is my ongoing plan.

Spartana
5-21-12, 8:32pm
There are lots of places in the world, as well as within Mexico and Central and So. America, that are as cheap as Mexico to live but often don't have the hassles and possible dangers (at least for us women) that a Mexican border town does. Check out any of the ex-pat websites (I like www.escapeartist.com) for tips. I have thought seriously about living the ex-pat lifestyle for many years but with havoing pets (just one small dog now) I found it too difficult. Lots of countries, like Belize, offer dual citizenship and have programs to attract Americans to move there. Costa Rica and Panama use to have them too but now that there are so many American and Canadian (and probably European) retirees and ex-pats in those countries, they have pulled back a little. It's definetly something you should look into Rob - something I would do if I didn't have the dog. Although I'd personally prefer to live in eastern Europe as both the climate and culture appeal to me. Also check out www.coolworks.com for jobs around the world. Might be a good way to work and check out a country at the same time.

shadowmoss
5-22-12, 10:53am
On Andy Graham's website (which I can't site right now because he hasn't sent his daily email yet) one of his goals as a travel writer is to show that people can live for $500/mo in most places in the world. He has video interviews with people from various places showing how they do it. The one I saw in particular was a retired Canadian lady in Tela, a coastal area here in Honduras near Roatan. Her apartment is L4,000, or approximately $200.00 and change (depending on exchange rate at the time) per month. Her apartment is right next to an exclusive resort, and the beaches here are all public. On another site was highlighted a shipping container house in Costa Rica that was walking distance to the beach that was very cheap (can't remember actual price right now). Because there isn't a lot to do other than explore the area, I think for me the key will be to move from one cheap area to another, both inside the US and outside. Tourist visa's down here last 3 mo. just for flying in.

Spartana
5-22-12, 6:36pm
On Andy Graham's website (which I can't site right now because he hasn't sent his daily email yet) one of his goals as a travel writer is to show that people can live for $500/mo in most places in the world. He has video interviews with people from various places showing how they do it. The one I saw in particular was a retired Canadian lady in Tela, a coastal area here in Honduras near Roatan. Her apartment is L4,000, or approximately $200.00 and change (depending on exchange rate at the time) per month. Her apartment is right next to an exclusive resort, and the beaches here are all public. On another site was highlighted a shipping container house in Costa Rica that was walking distance to the beach that was very cheap (can't remember actual price right now). Because there isn't a lot to do other than explore the area, I think for me the key will be to move from one cheap area to another, both inside the US and outside. Tourist visa's down here last 3 mo. just for flying in.

I'd love to see that site so post it when you can. When i was in the CG on one of our southern patrols we stopped in Roatan for a bit. Awesome place and great diving. Ex-DH, who dove all over the world - including ice diving in the arctic in winter - spent a couple of weeks down there on a sailboat diving. He said he thought it would be a great place to retire to someday for us. We had a sailboat we had fixed up with the plan to sail around the world for a few years once we hit 40 and could take some time off work, and Roatan was one of the places we wanted to stay put in. And it would have only cost us a tiny amount of money too. Living full time on a sailboat is a good way to both travel and live cheaply.

shadowmoss
5-23-12, 10:00am
http://www.hobotraveler.com/

The funny thing to me is, he and I are about the same age, he is maybe a year or two younger than I, and we both grew up in the basically same area of Indiana. He is back home at the moment because of his Dad being ill, and after being a world traveling nomade for 14 years he is having issues readjusting. He's on a road trip in the US, so don't let the recent blog entries fool you about the rest of the site. What I found funny is how he was complaining about how cold it was in Northern Indiana in March. I'm thinking hey, we both grew up in that area, we should KNOW it's still cold there in March. Whatever.

I find his site a bit clumsy to navigate, and I don't agree with a lot of what he posts, but he does give a very here and now view of the parts of the world he traveled. The point of the site for him, besides making him a living wage, is to argue that anyone can live abroad in many areas of the world for around $500/mo. He is even trying to apply that while in the States. I think most of us here could give him a lot of pointers, but whatever, its something fun to read and I learn enough to keep going back.

citrine
5-23-12, 10:38am
We plan on traveling and living abroad when we retire...there are so many places where you can live very well for under a $1000/month. Cozumel, Mexico is a beautiful little island with a great cost of living.

awakenedsoul
5-23-12, 4:00pm
I read a book from the library a while back on people who have retired early. (Sorry, I can't remember the name or author.) He mentioned a group of Americans who have retired in Mexico and live simply and happily on about $600.00 per month. Sounds like they have kind of a sub culture there. I encourage you to explore it. Makes sense to me. When you don't have financial pressure, life is much easier. Let us know what you end up doing!

Zoebird
5-23-12, 6:14pm
So, one option is to live there and work in the US, which would make for complex tax filings but otherwise be ok. Assuming mexico is cool with that in the immigration side of things.

the advantage of the border town is that you can go to the US to get what you want if it's not available where you are. Here, it has to be shipped to us if we can't find what we want/need.

gimmethesimplelife
5-23-12, 8:26pm
So, one option is to live there and work in the US, which would make for complex tax filings but otherwise be ok. Assuming mexico is cool with that in the immigration side of things.

the advantage of the border town is that you can go to the US to get what you want if it's not available where you are. Here, it has to be shipped to us if we can't find what we want/need.One thing I can tell you is that Mexico is not necc cheaper for everything. For dentists, doctors, eyeglasses, anything involving labor, in general housing, prescription drugs, really any kind of health care, yes, go to Mexico you are going to save money. For anything with a power cord on it - get it in the United States, seriously, anything repeat anything you plug in is going to be cheaper in the US. Everyday things, soda, toothbrushes - cheaper in Mexico, and things like toothpaste, soap, shampoo - same price as in the US. So it helps to know what exactly is cheaper. Food I have seen be both cheaper and more expensive than in the US....So where you are really saving money is on health care and housing - two of the biggest bills for most folks. Also I understand electricity is less in Mexico, but I don't know if Internet bills are less or not.....Rob

gimmethesimplelife
5-23-12, 8:31pm
Forgot to add to the above - I understand there are people who work on the US side and then live on the Mexican side which is not entirely legal as per Mexican immigration laws but.....people do it and seem to get away with it if they are discreet. I do think to hook up electricity you do need an FM3 card, a type of Mexican permanent residency, but I'm not 100% sure. Also there are people who manage to generate passive income online and live on the Mexican side and have less stressful lives as their lives cost less, and such folks don't need to cross back and forth quite as much I would think.....Rob

Spartana
5-24-12, 1:51pm
Could you earn enough by working somewhere in the US seasonally, like you have been doing where room and board are included, and then staying in Mexico (cheaply!) the rest of the year? Work in the US in the high season months (summer) and live in Mexico (or where ever) during the cool winter months. That would save you the hassle of having to "commute" across the border everyday and also open up more places for you to live, not just a border town.

Spartana
5-24-12, 2:01pm
http://www.hobotraveler.com/

Thanks for posting this link. Took a quick look at it and WOW - very cool! Giving me wanderlust (like I NEVER get that :-)!) I'm getting set to go on a long raod trip too soon - have no idea where I'm going (as usual) or for how long (as usual) but no way can I do it on $500/month like that guy even if I camped the whole time somewhere free (I don't usually boondock as I like a nice campground with all the luxuries - like flush toilets and hot water). Just fuel prices alone will be more than that. But I'll be giving up my place while I'm gone so I won't have to be paying for a place, utilities, etc... I'm not staying at and that will help with expenses. So I'm thinking maybe $1500/month more or less (more then I spend for all my expenses when I saty at home). Hoping I can find some cheap vacation rental places for a month or so somewhere in a ski resort (generally low cost in summer) so that will bring expenses down too. I'm looking forward to reading how that guy, and the other people who blog there, can travel so cheaply.

Bastelmutti
5-24-12, 2:20pm
Although I'd personally prefer to live in eastern Europe as both the climate and culture appeal to me.

That's gotten harder now that some countries joined the EU. Some places people still earn very little, but prices are up to US levels. That said, I love E. Europe!

Bastelmutti
5-24-12, 2:21pm
For anything with a power cord on it - get it in the United States, seriously, anything repeat anything you plug in is going to be cheaper in the US. Everyday things, soda, toothbrushes - cheaper in Mexico, and things like toothpaste, soap, shampoo - same price as in the US. So it helps to know what exactly is cheaper. Food I have seen be both cheaper and more expensive than in the US....So where you are really saving money is on health care and housing - two of the biggest bills for most folks. Also I understand electricity is less in Mexico, but I don't know if Internet bills are less or not.....Rob

Our friends who live in MX say the same. They buy electronics here. And electricity can be less reliable, too.

Spartana
5-25-12, 4:05pm
That's gotten harder now that some countries joined the EU. Some places people still earn very little, but prices are up to US levels. That said, I love E. Europe!

Maybe Greece? I hear they can use some money :-)! I had though about Croatia as my first choice but things may have changed there now and it may be a an expensive place to live. I will probably never actually live the ex-pat life but it's fun to think about allthe MUCH less expensive places in the world we could live in.

bunnys
5-25-12, 4:30pm
I wonder if it's cheaper to live in Canada than the United States...

Mighty Frugal
5-25-12, 8:21pm
I wonder if it's cheaper to live in Canada than the United States...

I don't think so...more expensive in many areas. The only plus is our health care. But your homes are cheaper and ditto for food-you guys have more buying power so your goods are cheaper. We're big geographically but small population-ly.

Of course, if you're willing to go to the middle of nowhere (lots of those here) you could probably get cheap rent/home but not much to do

bunnys
5-26-12, 10:16am
Oh. I just thought that because the American dollar is stronger than the Canadian dollar (isn't it?) my American dollar would go further in Canada than it does in the US.

I just think Canada would be a nice place to live...

jp1
5-26-12, 11:56am
Actually the US$ and CD$ have been pretty close to par now for a few years. Not like in the late 90's when i was going to toronto regularly to visit a friend and the exchange rate was around $1US for CD$1.50.

Mighty Frugal
5-27-12, 9:12pm
yup..often our dollar is slightly higher-I know because I wait for this to buy some for my trips to Buffalo to shop.

You'll see more Canucks down in the States shopping due to our buying power AND the much larger variety of goods you have

We're getting Target soon but I know it won't be the same. We are just too small to get amazing deals and tons of variety