PDA

View Full Version : Past Life Moments

Cypress
5-21-12, 3:17pm
Past Life Moments
I am sure this topic has been discussed previously but here I go….When I was about 17 or so, I became captivated by the First World War, not in a military sense but by the tragedy of it. At the time, there were a few films and books which helped give a visual and better understanding of the actual event. I am into my 50s now and this sensation was rejuvenated lately with several films on this topic. Right now, I am reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulk. While the book is well written and also gives a sense of the great tragedy, it reaches something deeper in me. Either I dwell in the morbid, or there is something familiar to it all. As so many men, women and children perished I think it possible that the images, poetry or readings stir up an old memory from before.
One theme that comes through in the book I am reading is the lead characters confusion at times about the concept of the forward movement of time. This man has survived all four years thus far and seen so many battles and comrades perish. He cannot sort out when it happened at moments. The author may be giving us an inside perspective on battle fatigue. But, how can I understand life unless I understand death. Isn’t it possible I have been dead so than I feel life?
I think I was in the trenches and was buried in them. I have a fear of walking in closed in places and under low arches. I simply panic and have to get out. I absolutely hate guns and war of any kind. I am a closet pacifist and truly have a Quaker outlook on conflict. Where did it come from? I can remember being 16 and in a mock fencing duel. My high school had all the equipment and I had fun at first. I had my opponent and could have stabbed them but could not do it. Even in jest I realized this was not part of my nature. Was I in a similar situation and won? Did I see the result of my actions and now cannot bear it?
Anybody else get fixed on an event in history and feel it is in them somewhere. I tend to believe in one line from my Catholic upbringing, belief in all things seen and unseen.

JaneV2.0
5-21-12, 6:45pm
Yes. I felt drawn to the Salem witchcraft trials and many, many years later found I was a descendant of one of the principals (not one of the innocent ones, unfortunately). I remarked to my partner that I thought I had been locked up in a previous life before finding out another of my ancestors had been (I have a kind of convoluted theory about that case). Both of these could be examples of genetic memory, if one believes in that sort of thing.

I also did a lot of research on the Holocaust before reading Rabbi Yonasson Gershom's books on reincarnation and finding them thought-provoking. I lean toward believing in reincarnation, and have always wondered if people are drawn to certain periods of history because they had been there.

Wildflower
5-22-12, 4:19am
I have often wondered if I have lived before due to certain reactions, such as intense anxiety in certain situations. I have a morbid fear of big bodies of water like rivers, lakes, the ocean. Where does that come from - did I drown or almost drown in a past life? I also am very claustrophobic, as is my DH. We both wonder where and why this fear exists for us.... It can be fascinating thinking about this subject of past lives.

Lainey
5-22-12, 9:15pm
I have heard of people having past life regressions and then wake up being relieved of a certain phobia. It's almost like once they understood the reason behind it, they could let it go.
Would be interesting to read more about this if anyone has any books or articles to recommend?

JaneV2.0
5-23-12, 9:58am
Ian Stevenson, MD, is probably the most thorough researcher on the past-life front. I've looked through his definitive two-volume work on the subject (about the size of the Oxford English Dictionary), and it's impressive. He's also written and co-written a bunch of popular books on the subject. I enjoyed both of Carol Bowman's books, as well as Soul Survivor, Looking for Carroll Beckwith, and Mission to Millboro . Although some of those touch on phobias, they're mostly general in nature. If you put "regression and past life" into Amazon's search box, you'll come up with at least a couple of titles.