PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Twitter and Facebook

pcooley
5-22-12, 6:50pm
A while back, I deactivated my Facebook account. (Though I haven't gone through all the gyrations required to have it permanently deleted). Yesterday, I finally summoned up the reserve to delete my Twitter account.

Yes, I enjoyed both things. I was able to reconnect with old friends. Ultimately, however, I feel that the broad but shallow connections detracted from my quality of life rather than added to it.

Some people might be able to build an entire essay out of the experience. That's about all I have to say about it. I'm back, largely, to letters and telephone calls to a few close friends.

Mrs-M
5-22-12, 6:55pm
And isn't that way sometimes... going back to old-fashioned basics. Who says old-fashioned goes out of style. Good on you, Pcooley. :)

oldhat
5-22-12, 7:47pm
I haven't Twittered yet--can't really see the use of it--and although I have a Facebook page, I still have serious misgivings about it. I'm very wary of posting much in the way of personal information on a site owned by a for-profit entity. Of course, Facebook swears up and down that it regards your personal data as sacrosanct...until one day it decides that it doesn't, and then what are you going to do? As for getting in touch with old friends, yes, there were a few people in the early days who contacted me and that was nice, but more recently I haven't heard from anyone. I'm considering taking the page down.

I think if you really want a presence on the web, the ideal way to do it is get your own domain name and set up an actual web page. That's if you really need a web presence. Most people really don't.

bunnys
5-22-12, 9:32pm
I have neither a Twitter acct nor a Facebook acct.

I don't even really understand how Twitter works.

I had considered getting Facebook once but I just hear so much about how petty and small-minded and nasty it is that it turned me off. Yet, every time I mention this to someone they swear up and down that it's not like that at all? What gives?

Tradd
5-22-12, 9:35pm
I don't Tweet at all, but I find it rather useful for keeping track and stuff. My account is anonymous.

FB, on the other hand, when I closed my account two years ago after stuff with one woman who was particularly nasty, I found out that no one would keep in touch. Or forgot to tell me things until weeks after the fact. Went back to FB.

frugalone
5-22-12, 10:01pm
It seems funny/odd that those "old friends" whom I found on Facebook have never made any other effort to get in touch. It all seems so superficial sometimes.

jp1
5-22-12, 11:23pm
I've never seen the point of tweeting. Facebook I enjoy because I like hearing/telling old friends what I'm up to/what they're up to. Among other things it's very cool watching college and high school friends' kids growing up. Without facebook that would never happen. But no, it's not helping me redevelop super close, best friend type relationships, nor is it taking the place of, or improving, my current day to day friendships. It just adds to what my life would be without it. But I also don't put a lot of effort into it or private info up, so I'm not particularly concerned with the amount of time or loss of privacy that some people associate with it.

Thinking about technology, recently I got an email from my 85 year old uncle that he now has skype. I'd been avoiding that since I don't particularly like talking on the phone, much less on a videophone. As a true introvert I much prefer email to a phone conversation. But for him I've actually downloaded the iphone app and will probably sign up for an account and give him a call at some point in the next couple of weeks. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd be really touched if I did that.

fidgiegirl
5-23-12, 8:26am
jp1, fun!! I hope you enjoy Skyping.

I like both Twitter AND FB! :) I do think sometimes I would be happy if I reduced my use, but at this time, not interested in giving up either one. Perhaps it is not a big stressor to me because I 1) hide people who are routinely jerks. 2) don't worry if I miss a day or a week or three weeks. I just pick up where I left off.

I always kept up on people I'd known in the past, just now I get to do it directly through their words and updates rather than in the sometimes not-so-nice gossippy scenario from my hometown friends that I am in contact with.

Twitter is awesome for professional learning. I enjoy it most when I'm at an event and can "converse" with the others in the room. We can use the same hashtag to have a backchannel conversation - "What page are we on?" or pulling pertinent points from the presentation to tweet, or related thoughts. And no, it doesn't distract me so that I get less out of the conversation. I get more out of it, especially when I can see what others things is important. I'm working at a synthesis level when I tweet in this way rather than just a passive, receiving level.

And, BTW, it probably took me a full 18 months of a try here, a try there to "get Twitter." Little by little the pieces fit together and now I understand its value.

herbgeek
5-23-12, 8:39am
I had considered getting Facebook once but I just hear so much about how petty and small-minded and nasty it is that it turned me off. Yet, every time I mention this to someone they swear up and down that it's not like that at all? What gives?

In other words, its just like real life. If you have small minded people in your real life, you'll probably also have them on Facebook. If you hang around with generous, caring, compassionate people in real life, you'll probably also have them on Facebook.

Gregg
5-23-12, 9:36am
I'm sure the world is no worse off not knowing when I am pumping gas or going to the bathroom so I don't tweet. FB is fun the once a week I'm on just because I get to see all the pics my kids and their friends from childhood are posting. They are at the age where lots of them are newly married, pregnant or have babies so it makes it a lot easier to keep up with them. Most FB friends who are around my age are there for the same reason, but a few of them should get a Twitter account so they have a more appropriate venue for their banal dribble.

Anne Lee
5-23-12, 9:59am
I don't have a data plan for my phone so I don't Tweet. I have a colleague who uses Twitter at an annual conference she organizes for evaluation. She knows what people are really thinking and responding to.

puglogic
5-24-12, 5:16pm
Facebook, more and more, is just creeping me out. Good for you, pcooley, divesting yourself of it:
http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/06/password-sharing-on-job-applications/

ApatheticNoMore
5-24-12, 7:41pm
Facebook, more and more, is just creeping me out. Good for you, pcooley, divesting yourself of it:

It doesn't seem a very effective form of well ... anything really. What is to stop a person from taking down their facebook account when asked for a password? Now true Facebook still has the information but it's not quite so easy for an employer to get at that point. What is to stop a person from having multiple facebook accounts, one for viewing by employers etc. and one real one? In fact I think this policy should be actively pursued by people, so as to generate so much noise, that there's no clear signal.

fidgiegirl
5-24-12, 8:33pm
Wow, I don't think Twitter is banal at all. I think it's much more interesting than FB, actually, as far as actually saying something substantive and then having a discussion around it. But that could be, perhaps, because like I said, I have a community of fellow educators on Twitter, who are also mostly using it for professional conversation. You don't really want someone who someday could say when you apply for a job in their district - "OMG! All that girl does is talk about her bathroom habits on Twitter!"

SteveinMN
5-24-12, 9:11pm
I am increasingly wary of Facebook because of their cavalier attitude toward privacy. But I very much believe Facebook and twitter are what you make of them.

I don't let Facebook be a substitute for personal interaction with my friends and family. It's an adjunct -- think of it as an easier way to share pictures and experiences without calling everyone in your personal phone book. I don't play the Facebook games; I don't do the "post this status for one hour if you're my friend" thing; I don't "like" everything in sight. I've blocked the torrent from two relatives who seem to believe "sharing" a thought is a substitute for acting on it. I'm careful about what I post, but that's okay because I interact with my family and friends in a far deeper way in real life. And I'm fine with that.

And though I have a twitter account, I've tweeted all of three times in a year, and one of those times was to let my friends on twitter know that I was there now, too. What I like about twitter is that people and companies in which I'm interested post useful information regularly. I read many many more tweets than I make. Favorite musicians will announce tour dates and TV appearances on twitter. Companies from whom I'm likely to buy let me know that long-out-of-stock item is back in stock. Friends have a way to post brief bits about what's going on in their lives while it's still fresh. It all waits for me to look at it. And maybe it's the kind of people I'm friends with, but I don't hear about toilet habits or breakfast cereal choices. I won't stand for that.

By all means, Facebook and twitter are not for everyone, and no one should feel badly for not taking part. But the people who do are not always shallow "over-sharers" who believe everyone else lives for the minutiae of our lives. :)

Bronxboy
5-24-12, 10:25pm
I follow sports teams and traffic on Twitter, but don't tweet myself. To me it's kind of a utility.

As for Facebook, I'm fairly active within a couple of groups--some people I went to junior high and high school with, and relatives in Ireland and England (which I value a lot). I've learned that I've drifted away from some people from the neighborhood I grew up in for a reason, and usually shy away from friending people from there unless I know them well.

Selah
5-25-12, 12:53am
I'm not that much into Twitter, but FB and Skype have been the two best social technologies for me since the invention of the typewriter, the postal service, and the telephone. Both have allowed me to maintain relationships that might have fallen away due to my numerous moves between countries, and have enhanced my relationships with my family members since we have more routine contact. FB and Skype also helped me keep in touch with clients and generate further business with them. Also, Facebook has been great for finding links to information I would have never even thought to search for.

As far as irritating posts from others about religion, politics, and culture wars, I just hide their posts if it gets to be too much. I don't post about those things myself, and I don't engage in any public discussions about them. Others can get into the mudslinging arguments if they want to, but for me, I just STAY OUT OF IT. My personal rule for Facebook is, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Yes, there is indeed plenty of banal dribble on FB, but fortunately there are ways to control how much of it you actually see.

small & friendly
5-25-12, 2:58pm
I was on Facebook for about a year, primarily to play one of the games. What finally turned me off was the foul and vulgar language by so many of the people on there. It was really disgusting. And what's worse, most of them were the women. Then the endless 'click like' if you agree with this or that. Or, ' do this or that to show you really are my friend...let's see how many answer this...etc., etc.'
Finally, so many had religious clips on their messages, the 'what would Jesus do' variety, and yet, turn around and they would have something crude or vulgar in their next post. The Bible says, make the tree either good or evil; a well can't produce both sweet water and bitter. It was a good decision for me to leave it. They sure do make it hard to leave, though. Multiple steps and warnings, as if you were giving up something really important!
Three months have passed and I notice virtually no effect on my everyday life whatsoever not being on facebook. :D

Spartana
5-25-12, 4:35pm

FB also creeps me out but at least it's a good way to share info with a large group of people at one time. I don't do it, Twitter either, but I can see the benefits IF people don't mind the security risks. I personally see that it can cause alot of problems between people - and I know of several relationshups that broke up because of what someone posted on someones FB page - but I know it's useful to many people. Too much info I can't control for me so I'll stay out of it thank you very much!

daisy
5-25-12, 10:03pm
I do use Facebook, but I signed up using my nickname and an email address that isn't my primary address, so I'm not too worried about my personal information being found out. I mostly use it to share pictures and keep up with people I don't see in person very often. The people that have annoyed me with their posts have either been de-friended or hidden, so on the whole I find it a fun experience.

pony mom
5-26-12, 10:23pm
I never tried either Facebook or Twitter. From what I've seen through the people I work with who use Facebook, it can be a double edged sword. An example, one girl left our salon, supposedly to spend time with her newborn son. Two days later, another coworker said that this person's Facebook page stated she was working full time at a rival salon/spa just down the road. If you're going to broadcast your life to your 'friends', at least be honest.

A friend of mine came out to visit me awhile ago and took lots of photos of my home, family and horse. I emailed her and asked how the photos came out and she said I could join her Facebook account and see them all there. That means any one of her friends can see these photos too. Not too comfortable with that.

It would be nice to be contacted by people from my childhood, but really, if they really wanted to find me, there are other ways to do it.

Tradd
5-26-12, 10:35pm
I don't have a data plan for my phone so I don't Tweet. I have a colleague who uses Twitter at an annual conference she organizes for evaluation. She knows what people are really thinking and responding to.

Just because you don't have a data plan for your phone doesn't mean you can't use Twitter! ;-) I find it great for keeping up with news, etc. And the Weather Channel is really good during severe weather outbreaks, instant updates on tornadoes and such.

Float On
5-27-12, 8:27am
I've got facebook, a facebook fan page.
I've got an unused account at twiter and linkedin.
I sell on Etsy and you can't believe the number of 'social networking sites' they (people on the forums there) say you should be using to promote yourself. It just exhausts me to think that I'm suposed to spend several hours a day posting, linking, promoting, etc.
I may finally breakdown and get a Pintrest account only because I've found so many of my images there already.

AmeliaJane
5-27-12, 10:10am
I like Facebook. I use it mostly for old friends and acquaintances from high school and grad school (weirdly, not many of my college friends seem to be on it)--the kind of people who it makes me happy to know that they've had another baby, or moved somewhere cool, but who I don't need a deep relationship with. My sister and brother also use it to post little "funnies" related to their kids and I love those as well. I deliberately don't friend co-workers and really keep it mostly for LD friends--I moved a couple of years ago and it has been a great way to keep up with that group--among other things, you don't have to try to track changing email addresses or phone numbers. I keep all the privacy settings turned up high, use the screening tools to eliminate posts that are obnoxious or really political, and always remember that my Mom can read everything I post.

I've never gotten Twitter, but others seem to find it so useful, I feel like I should learn more for professional reasons.

ljevtich
5-27-12, 2:56pm
Hi All, I am back! Probably was gone so long because of Facebook!

I don't Tweet at all, but I find it rather useful for keeping track and stuff. My account is anonymous.

FB, on the other hand, when I closed my account two years ago after stuff with one woman who was particularly nasty, I found out that no one would keep in touch. Or forgot to tell me things until weeks after the fact. Went back to FB.

While I have never closed the account, there have been a few people on there that I have had disagreements with. Although I did not un-friend them, I changed their status with me to important updates. Now if I want to know what is going on with them, I go to their page. I do not see them on my wall.

It doesn't seem a very effective form of well ... anything really. What is to stop a person from taking down their facebook account when asked for a password? Now true Facebook still has the information but it's not quite so easy for an employer to get at that point. What is to stop a person from having multiple facebook accounts, one for viewing by employers etc. and one real one? In fact I think this policy should be actively pursued by people, so as to generate so much noise, that there's no clear signal.

Actually, my employer does look (if she can find them) at the Facebook pages of possible new hires. Or she gets one of us to look up the new hire if she can't find them. Of course, you can set up the Facebook page to only allow friends to see things and then don't post things that you do not want others to know about.

I do use Facebook, but I signed up using my nickname and an email address that isn't my primary address, so I'm not too worried about my personal information being found out. I mostly use it to share pictures and keep up with people I don't see in person very often. The people that have annoyed me with their posts have either been de-friended or hidden, so on the whole I find it a fun experience.
Me too, although I guess I set it up with my full name, so that my old friends could find me. And I use it for the pictures and to keep up with old friends who do not take the time to write or call. And the friends that have annoyed me, I do the same thing, keep them hidden.

Part of the problem for me is that I live in remote areas. Internet is sometimes a problem as it is slow here so we can not Skype, and cell phones don't always work.

That is why going back to the forums like this one is good, I get to learn what others are doing, get to make internet friends (like Facebook too), maybe learn something new, and it does not take up as much bandwidth. Facebook unfortunately does, so I usually have to wait until I can get to an area of higher bandwidth, then get on, see what everyone is doing, write a little bit about what we did for the week, and then get off and go home. But Facebook is great to use as a diary too, which I then use to make our website.

You got to figure, technology can be fun, useful and good to try out. If you do not like it, stop using it. But realize that other people will use it, find it useful and encourage others to use it as well. Exactly the same sort of thing happened with the Phone, the TV, the Internet...