PDA

View Full Version : Kinda new, kinda not

bluesman423
5-23-12, 11:28am
I found this forum a few years ago and did a lot of lurking. Now I suppose it's time to become active in what appears to me to be a gathering of many folks that are, at least partially, like minded.

I have always know that others considered me to be weird, and deservedly so. I do not follow other people's ideas on how I should live. I consider all available information and make up my mind and seldom does it brand me as "normal".

I am a Christian and my political beliefs are all over the place. I do think that we need MUCH less government. I find most people to be intolerant of other's beliefs and, to me, that is unacceptable. We all have the right to our own opinions and actions as long as they don't infringe upon others.

I am a 52 year old divorced man (14 years ago) with two wonderful daughters and four fantastic grandchildren. I am retired (just got fed up with working within the system and walked away) and frequently have little money. But I am OK with that.

Living sustainably, becoming close to self sufficiency while doing as little harm to the earth as possible is my goal. I recently read a book titled "Twelve By Twelve" and found it opened my eyes and drew many of my loosely formed philosphies together.

Sorry this is so poorly written and long.

artist
5-23-12, 11:41am
Welcome to the group. I too am seen as differently minded than most and that can be a challenge.

Float On
5-23-12, 12:06pm
Welcome (across the MO/OK line neighbor)!
You'll fit right in - we're all different.
I hope you'll share more about your self sufficiency.
I know I had "Twelve By Twelve" on my list to read for a long time and I'm thinking there may have been a bit of discussion about it on here at one time or another.

danna
5-23-12, 4:07pm
Welcome his is a forum for many opinions....you will enjoy the folks here

fidgiegirl
5-23-12, 6:07pm
Hi bluesman, welcome aboard!

catherine
5-23-12, 6:46pm
Bluesman, you are in good company, and I look forward to your insights here!

mtnlaurel
5-23-12, 7:52pm
I have always know that others considered me to be weird,

From one 'weirdo' to another..... Welcome!

SteveinMN
5-24-12, 8:38pm
Welcome, bluesman!

AnneM
5-24-12, 10:29pm
Welcome to the forums! Yes, "Twelve by Twelve" is a great book. I read it a few months ago.

cjones
6-15-12, 7:34am
Welcome bluesman! If you are a Christian who describes himself as "weird" (or being seen that way by others) there is a new book out that you might like: Weird: (Because Normal isn't Working Any More) It's a wonderful affirmation of simplicity and responsible stewardship within a Christian belief framework. I loved it.

EarthSky
6-16-12, 11:38pm
Hi bluesman. You'll find like-minded souls here. Several of us have read Twelve by Twelve. You could do a search if you'd like to visit the comments on it.

Tussiemussies
6-16-12, 11:59pm
Hi -- look forward to chatting with you here on the boards...