PDA

View Full Version : Bye!

Spartana
5-25-12, 4:43pm
Off on a long road trip on Monday so will check in when I can and catch you all when I get back - when ever that will be :-)! Don't have any idea where I'm going either - just going to meander around the West. Bye!!

Kestrel
5-25-12, 4:55pm
Have a great time! And we'd all love to hear all about it! Come and see Idaho -- all things considered :~), it really is a great state :welcome: ...

catherine
5-25-12, 5:21pm
Have a great one! Wear your helmet and bike safely!

Mrs-M
5-25-12, 6:03pm
Wishing you a happy and safe trip, Spartana!

Float On
5-25-12, 6:12pm
Have fun!

mtnlaurel
5-25-12, 6:53pm
Have a great time! We'll miss you.

CathyA
5-25-12, 7:20pm
Have a great time! Be safe.

Valley
5-25-12, 7:32pm
Take it all in!

herbgeek
5-25-12, 7:48pm
I'm looking forward to traveling vicariously through you!

rosarugosa
5-26-12, 7:11am
Bon voyage!

leslieann
5-26-12, 10:33am
Enjoy! I will be looking for the virtual postcards. But mostly to the stories when you return.

JaneV2.0
5-27-12, 10:22pm
Wishing you an excellent adventure!

Wildflower
5-28-12, 12:33am
Have an awesome time!!

Gregg
5-28-12, 8:07am
Palekana ka'apuni Spartana!

gimmethesimplelife
5-28-12, 10:00am
Safe travels to you and enjoy! Rob

Spartana
5-29-12, 1:09pm
Thanks everyone! Heading east tomorrow (was postponed a few days) to Colorado (with lots of stops at the Nat Parks) for a friend's wedding mid-June. Then after that I'll just meander around the country. Maybe rent a vacation rental in some ski town (cheap in summer) for a month or two - hopefully in Vermont! Plan to be gone until end of Sept or Oct. then come back to Calif for the winter. Ah retirement.....:cool::D:D:D

Spartana
5-29-12, 1:14pm
Palekana ka'apuni Spartana!

Ha Ha! I had to look that up and it translates in to "wear a condom. practice safe sex!" Of course first I have to track down and capture one of those elusive creatures - a guy :-)!! I have my net and cage (baited with a beer) ready!!

SiouzQ.
5-29-12, 8:32pm
Sounds so awesome! Since I won't be able to take a road trip this summer due to my new job, I'll just have to live vicariously through your adventures. I aspire to live the life you lead someday!

iris lily
5-29-12, 10:01pm
She-Rah, I haven't responded to this thread because I keep thinking you'll be gone, but then you keep popping up! So have fun and keep in touch.

Tussiemussies
5-29-12, 10:03pm
Bye, sounds so exciting -- hope you have a great time!

Spartana
6-9-12, 1:05pm
She-Rah, I haven't responded to this thread because I keep thinking you'll be gone, but then you keep popping up! So have fun and keep in touch.

Ha Ha! That's because I still occasionally check in while travelling. Gave up on going to Colorado for now (too hot to drive thru desert) so have been touring around central calif (coast and mountains) and am heading to Lake Tahoe next. Check in and catch up when I can.

Spartana
7-6-12, 2:54pm
An update - spent a month meandering around Calif with the little Rat-Dog and that was enough with her - the barking queen! So I am back in SoCal to leave the dog with my sister and will go off on another trip in a week or 2 sans pup. Probably fly somewhere (Oregon or Washington as both are the only places in the country not in the grip of a killer heat-wave). While I love my little dog, she is a terror to travel with for that long!! Plus it was mega-crowded everywhere and had a real hard time finding campgrounds and motels. Seems the summer travel season is here.

rosarugosa
7-6-12, 9:15pm
Hey Spartana: Nice to see you checking in. No massive heat wave or droughts in New England either! A few hot days here and there to be sure, but it's summer and that's supposed to happen.

Spartana
7-7-12, 3:12pm
Hey Spartana: Nice to see you checking in. No massive heat wave or droughts in New England either! A few hot days here and there to be sure, but it's summer and that's supposed to happen.

I heard from friends in Maine that it was still pretty cool there even though it was hot in Boston. Looking into flying there for a few weeks later this summer as I think I'll have to limit my road trips with Rat-Dog until I can get her barking under control. Or maybe just stick to vacation house rentals (off-season only as it's too expensive in summer) as that seems OK too. I've tried everything (spray, shock, sound collars, Bark-Off, even a prescription calming drug from the vet) to get her to stop barking in motel rooms or campsites but so far nothng works. Oh well... glad I have the sis around to watch her for several weeks at a time when needed.

awakenedsoul
7-7-12, 8:39pm
Oh no! That sounds very stressful I can sympathize. I rescue dogs, and I have a terrior mix that took a while to calm down and stop barking. I love the places you are traveling. That's great that you have the freedom to go visit friends and see the world...

Spartana
7-9-12, 4:58pm
Oh no! That sounds very stressful I can sympathize. I rescue dogs, and I have a terrior mix that took a while to calm down and stop barking. I love the places you are traveling. That's great that you have the freedom to go visit friends and see the world...

Yeah I'm only now beginning to catch up on my sleep! My dog is also a rescued Terrier mix (or maybe that should be spelled TERROR-ier mix :-)!). She is a terr-hua-hua I think - half terrier and half chihuahua. Very cute and sweet but a problem child. I probably need to see a professional about her barking and some other bad behaviors before taking her on a long road trip again. I have been putting off doing longer trips for years now because I had so many pets - she is the last of 9 rescue pets I've had over the last 10 or so years. So if I can get her to act even a little bit better, then I'll have more freedom to do the stuff I want to. I can't even live in a small apt - and would like to buy a small condo in the future and not a house - but can't because of her barking. If anyone knows of any "cures" PLEASE let me know. I'm desperate and will try anything!!

RosieTR
7-15-12, 12:18am
Hey, Spartana. How much does the little girl get walked? We had a barking problem with our Shih-Tsu and walking took care of it. Somehow it's different and better than just playing. My mom has a Papillon which is pretty barky, but she has worked a ton to train the dog to bark less. The dog still barks way more than our dogs because of his breed/temperment, but seems to have a higher threshold for starting to bark and he stops barking sooner due to the training. Terriers and Chihuahuas are both somewhat barky dogs, but if it's endless barking rather than barking at a defined target (mail carrier, other dogs, other people, doorbell/knocking, etc) then the routine and exercise will likely help. If it is defined target barking or she already gets walked pretty regularly, you'll have to do some mega training with a good professional. You probably won't stop her barking totally because it's in her breed, but you may be able to reduce the annoyance somewhat. Good luck!

Spartana
7-17-12, 2:06pm
Thanks Rosie! Yeah I think it's the barking at a defined target rather then just endless barking thing as she doesn't really bark unless there is something - or someone - to bark at and then she goes nuts for a short period of time. Not a good thing in a motel room or close in campground. I imagine most of the other people want to kill me :-)! I do walk her quite a bit - every morning and then a real long walk (until she's tired which could be a few miles) in the evenings - and when travelling she goes everywhere with me (I have a little doggy backpack I can carry her in when she gets too tired). But it doesn't seem to matter as it's the new surroundings and people walking by, etc... that seems to set her off. She was pretty bad at home when I first got her - and still is somewhat but now "knows" the neighbors (although the mailman is still open game :-)!). I have decided to just continue working with her locally (no long trips with her) for now and then once the summer is over and the hordes of tourists go home I'll try a longer road trip with her again. But if I can't get her to stop then I have other options - rent a vacation house where there is no one around or leave her with the sis and go on shorter trips without her. Both good options.