PDA

View Full Version : Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

pinkytoe
5-27-12, 5:02pm
Saw this movie today and found it enjoyable. Nothing stupendous but light and thoughtful at times. When we first walked in, I told dh I had never seen so many old people in one place in Austin. I am glad there are a few movies out there though that are made specifically for an older audience.

puglogic
5-27-12, 6:54pm
Although I've heard mixed reviews, the cast is so astonishing that I know I'll go see it anyway. Love all of those people.

danna
5-27-12, 7:25pm
Read the book and hoping the movie does it justice....going tomorrow evening.

We loved it.

sweetana3
5-28-12, 6:18am
We have been to those places in India and they caught the speed of life just right. Of course, you cannot make the dust, the sounds and the smells come out completely on the screen but they did a good job. The attitudes of the people as they hit India is also caught well by the book and the movie. Most flights arrive in the middle of the night and the whole country is an assault on the senses.

I thought it was wonderful and loved the older experienced actors. I want to be Judy D. and wear the clothes she wore. I have known many who are just like Maggie Smith's character. May I be as adaptable as both of them.

I am so tired of movies with 100 pound actors and actresses who all look 21 or younger.

happystuff
5-28-12, 7:20am
Dh and I saw it on Friday night and loved it! He said the same thing about the other people at the theater. I had to remind him that "we" are very close to being "them" now - LOL. I've added the book to my "must read" list.

beckyliz
6-1-12, 3:30pm
I really want to see this - may ask my mom if she wants to go.

IshbelRobertson
6-1-12, 5:10pm
I shop at the same boutique where Judi Dench buys many of her clothes, Sweetana!

sweetana3
6-2-12, 6:27am
In the movie, she wore all these loose linen separates which suited her so well. My hubby said "you have the same figure" so I figure they may look nice on me too.

morning girl
6-2-12, 7:50am
I saw the movie, loved it. Makes me want to pack up and travel.

Yossarian
6-2-12, 9:13am
I told dh I had never seen so many old people in one place in Austin. .

DW and I were the youngest people in the theater, and we are mid 40s.

domestic goddess
6-2-12, 1:25pm
I'm looking forward to seeing this, too. I rarely watch movies anymore, because they all seem to have the same 98 lb. actresses, the same "cute" little boy actors and are so one dimensional. I will be glad to see a movie that has some "real people" in it, and some actors who are not just "celebrities", but have a little depth to them. I have great expectations of this movie, and hope I"m not disappointed.

goldensmom
6-2-12, 7:21pm
Saw it. Liked it. My husband whined throughout because it was not an Avengers/Ironman type of movie. He looked to be the youngest of the 4 or 5 men in the theater. I never choose or initiate theater going but I chose this time and I made a good choice.

pony mom
6-2-12, 8:54pm
I'll be seeing this soon. Most of the movies I go to see have only a few people in the audience; sometimes even just me!

i met Judi Dench several years ago and she's so very tiny and sweet. She was recently interviewed on TV and she said she never had any interest in visiting India, but fell in love with the place after being there.

Yossarian
6-2-12, 11:30pm
I have great expectations of this movie, and hope I"m not disappointed.

It's not great, but it was probably a better choice for us than the Avengers, which is what the DKs saw.

domestic goddess
6-2-12, 11:42pm
It's not great, but it was probably a better choice for us than the Avengers, which is what the DKs saw.

Since I have less than no interest in seeing The Avengers, I'm sure it will be a better choice for me, too.

sweetana3
6-3-12, 5:06am
We were surprised that the theater was full and everyone looked like us. Finally an adult movie.

Florence
6-3-12, 11:52am
Maggie Smith should be designated a world treasure! Judy Densch was awesome as always. But I wasn't enthralled with the movie.

JaneV2.0
6-3-12, 4:49pm
I'd probably prefer The Avengers, assuming it has outstanding special effects.

Square Peg
7-17-12, 7:01pm
I haven't seen it, so I don't know how accurate this is, but I found it an interesting read.
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/02/08/the-magic-of-india-for-white-people/

iris lily
7-17-12, 7:09pm
When we went to see Marigold Hotel it was sold out so we saw The Intouchables instead. It's a French film that reminds me of Amelie because it's a simple story wtih great characters. In it a rich Frenchman, paralyzed from the neck down, hires a black man from the projects to take care of him. It's very nicely done, light but not stupid. Dpn't ask me to explain the title, I don't get the word "Intouchables." Also, this is in French with english subtitles.

CathyA
7-17-12, 7:33pm
That sounds good IrisLily. Did you see it at a special cinema?

iris lily
7-17-12, 9:47pm
That sounds good IrisLily. Did you see it at a special cinema? Yes, it's an art house film, but it's very very big in France.

frugal-one
7-17-12, 10:15pm
Best-Exotic-Marigold-Hotel is a very good depiction of India. It was interesting for us because it actually showed the train we rode on when we were there. Also shows actual streets. If you have an interest in India.. check it out!

Sad Eyed Lady
7-18-12, 9:45am
I am about mid way through the book now. Like many of you have mentioned here, it is so refreshing to read about, (or see, in the case of the movie), characters that people out of their 20's can relate to!

CathyA
7-18-12, 10:45am
This talk about India reminds me of a song of Carrie Newcomber's called "Everything is Everywhere". DS did the shooting for the Indiana parts (but he's not real happy with his work)........but I love the video.
Carrie is an artist from southern Indiana. Her stuff is really nice. Several of the Indian musicians played with her. Those instruments are really cool.
Thought you might like to see the You Tube of her "Everything is Everywhere".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuCb8EwApQM

puglogic
7-23-12, 1:17pm
Finally saw this yesterday. Wonderful little well-made film, and all performances were really lovely. So glad they made it.

razz
9-19-12, 9:15am
I finally saw this on Monday night. I had so many questions afterwards though. Frugalone answered the one about the accuracy about the images of India in the film.

Are older people really so isolated? Does one have to move to build a community of peers? Is there really such a lack of self-reliance? Are the stereotypes presented truly reflective of the older adults today? Not in my world! I am 68 years old with friends who are the same age or older and none of us is represented in this movie. We are doing and interested in lots of activities, some of which cost very little or nothing so poverty is not the cause. It is the mindset - I am old - that seems to limit them.

Having said that, I loved the characters especially the housekeeper who grew the most and moved out of her shell. I loved the director's use of colour and active images to keep the authenticity moving.

Sorry if these are too many questions but they don't seem to have been covered.

San Onofre Guy
9-19-12, 2:24pm
I had a completely different reaction as did my wife. The story wasn't that great and it was clearly a low budget movie except for some big name actors. I actually felt bad for the dame and the fellow who played the older gay gentlemen I forget his name. This film did not anywhere near approach the quality films they typcially appear in. For the great actors, the film was so bellow what they are used to doing. I wouldn't recommend it unless on an inexpensive Netflix viewing.