PDA

View Full Version : The UP?

fidgiegirl
6-4-12, 8:26pm
Anyone have recommendations for the UP of Michigan?

We would be with another couple who has a baby. They are up for car camping (their suggestion) but not hike-in, hard-core backpacking with all the gear strapped on.

Porkies? My friend heard there would be construction. Pictured Rocks Lakeshore? Looks awesome.

Thanks friends!

Rosemary
6-4-12, 9:00pm
We have friends in Marquette, sounds like a lovely town.

Kathy WI
6-5-12, 12:23am
Munising is really nice. That's where the Pictured Rocks sightseeing boats take off from. There are lots os waterfalls in that area, and you can get maps at local businesses that show you where they are. There's a really nice beach at Au Train just a few miles west of Munising. We have been there several times and stayed at Sunset Motel, which has kitchenette suites, some with two bedrooms, old fashioned and rustic with pine panelling, and pretty cheap too. If you want to go to a bigger town to go shopping or something, Marquette is not far. Seven Mile Beach is beautiful.

Float On
6-5-12, 7:13am
I want to go!

Stacy
7-6-12, 12:24pm
I grew up there, and I agree with all the suggestions above. I would also recommend the town of Paradise, which has the beautiful Tahquamenon Falls and the Great Lakes Shipwreck museum.

fidgiegirl
7-6-12, 12:37pm
Stacy, thanks for bumping this! I had forgotten about it.

We leave in a few days for Pictured Rocks!! Super excited!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

iforonwy
7-13-12, 5:38pm
Would love to hear about your trip fidgiegirl as we are visiting friends in the UP in September and then travelling on to visit family in Kansas City.