PDA

View Full Version : Humble Home?... Or Garden Shed?

catherine
6-10-12, 3:35pm
I had to laugh--are any of you guys on Pinterest?

I pinned a really cool building that I considered to be a really nice Tumbleweed-style home, created by Summerwood.com

I noticed that others have repinned it--as a garden shed!!

What do you think: Home for you, or home for rakes?

http://www.summerwood.com/images/configuration/medium/102659/248x173

Valley
6-10-12, 4:10pm
If I was a little girl, I would love this for my own magical spot to read and write and dream about my future!

bae
6-10-12, 4:18pm
That there is more of a palace than a garden shed.

Here's *my* garden shed, for reference:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1zbEiNdFUAo/TqiNN7Vz_PI/AAAAAAAAD9A/wRWejl0g340/s640/IMG_0129.JPG

JaneV2.0
6-10-12, 7:50pm
I'm with Valley--reading nook, retreat, office, or studio.

peggy
6-10-12, 8:29pm
Adorable! But yeah, garden shed size.
Funny story, when my husband and i were first married, we were still teenagers and exceedingly poor. Luckily we had great friends who rented us the little (VERY LITTLE) house in back of their home for $50 a month. It had 3 rooms and sloped from front to back, but it was our little love nest and we were happy as clams. Years later (like 25) we were in the area with our teen kids and decided to drive past the 'ol love nest. It was a garden shed! An actual garden shed, with a tractor parked in it and everything! Unbelievable! Funny, I don't remember it being so small.
Of course the kids thought that was a hoot and we suffered quite a bit of ribbing! Little did they know they had their own 'tractor sheds' in their futures, but isn't that a part of being young!

Sissy
6-10-12, 8:36pm
Dunno, how small is it? It is adorable, tho. I would love to have a place like that to meditate, read, just think.

catherine
6-10-12, 10:46pm

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1zbEiNdFUAo/TqiNN7Vz_PI/AAAAAAAAD9A/wRWejl0g340/s640/IMG_0129.JPG

THAT's a garden shed!

catherine
6-10-12, 10:46pm
Adorable! But yeah, garden shed size.
Funny story, when my husband and i were first married, we were still teenagers and exceedingly poor. Luckily we had great friends who rented us the little (VERY LITTLE) house in back of their home for $50 a month. It had 3 rooms and sloped from front to back, but it was our little love nest and we were happy as clams. Years later (like 25) we were in the area with our teen kids and decided to drive past the 'ol love nest. It was a garden shed! An actual garden shed, with a tractor parked in it and everything! Unbelievable! Funny, I don't remember it being so small.
Of course the kids thought that was a hoot and we suffered quite a bit of ribbing! Little did they know they had their own 'tractor sheds' in their futures, but isn't that a part of being young!

Great story, peggy!

ApatheticNoMore
6-10-12, 11:58pm
Well I start thinking does it have plumbing (a bathroom etc.). Is it up to code? (you can't just actually rent out any old garden shed you know). Drafty, poorly built (like many real garden sheds are). Sure it looks nice in the middle of a forest or at least tall trees, with the sun filtering through. But what's it like in winter? Snow on the ground there? I mean it may be perfectly adequate to deal with the weather on the level of survival .... but I'd go STIR CRAZY in such a small place, when you CAN'T make the outdoors your second room (one reason why these things are always shot in good weather). How low is rent?

bluesman423
6-11-12, 1:14am
Guess I better not tell you guys about my dream cabin but I will give you a hint: I recently finished reading a book titled "Twelve By Twelve" and completely agreed with the basic philosophy behind a small, primitive house.

catherine
6-11-12, 5:25am
Guess I better not tell you guys about my dream cabin but I will give you a hint: I recently finished reading a book titled "Twelve By Twelve" and completely agreed with the basic philosophy behind a small, primitive house.

Yes, I've read that book! Very compelling....

Mrs-M
6-11-12, 7:11am
Bluesman423. Check out this link to a great past discussion Re: smaller homes. I have a feeling you'll really like it!

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?3126-Designing-your-own-12x12-Cabin-Cottage&highlight=cabin

Float On
6-11-12, 9:48am
I've read 12x12 too - inspiring.
DH doesn't understand why I want to go smaller in our house. I'd love to have a little village of my own tiny houses. One for kitchen/living social, one for bath/sauna, and little private bedroom houses. All wrapped around a courtyard garden. I've promised my DH his own tiny house just for his music room.
I have a friend who did something similar for his welding studio using container crates. One is supplies, one is a paint booth, one is packing/shipping/office, and the other is finished product/show supply all wrapped around a workspace. A huge metal roof covers the entire space yet allows airflow and additional storage space above the containers.

Gregg
6-11-12, 6:07pm
I'd love to have a little village of my own tiny houses. One for kitchen/living social, one for bath/sauna, and little private bedroom houses. All wrapped around a courtyard garden. I've promised my DH his own tiny house just for his music room.

I've thought about that kind of set up for years. Would be fantastic as a place to gather lots of family. Ha, the Kennedy clan would have nothing (except for square footage) on our compound!

Here's a little shovel cottage that I always thought was pretty sweet. My wife likes it because there aren't any blue tarps in sight. She's pretty highfalutin'.

Mrs-M
6-12-12, 12:47pm
Catherine. I think the home could be a humble abode, a storage shed for gardening tools (and such), or even a quaint tea-house, if one added large open windows to all sides.

bae
6-12-12, 12:56pm
I'd love to have a little village of my own tiny houses. One for kitchen/living social, one for bath/sauna, and little private bedroom houses. All wrapped around a courtyard garden. I've promised my DH his own tiny house just for his music room.

I have a friend here who has a "house" like this, it is really wonderful. She's in her 80s, has lots of family that come to visit, and this works very well to let people interact in the common spaces, or retreat to their private "cabins" as need be,

small & friendly
6-18-12, 9:53pm
Would you post a link to the web site? I'd like to see what the dimensions and features are. I've lived in one room, but it had an attached bath and electricty and was definitely workable.

catherine
6-19-12, 7:21am
Would you post a link to the web site? I'd like to see what the dimensions and features are. I've lived in one room, but it had an attached bath and electricty and was definitely workable.

www.summerwood.com

They build all kinds of small buildings: gazebos, sheds, studios, guest cottages, etc. Fun to look at.

small & friendly
6-20-12, 7:17pm
www.summerwood.com (http://www.summerwood.com)

They build all kinds of small buildings: gazebos, sheds, studios, guest cottages, etc. Fun to look at.

Nice. I think people are really beginning to be drawn back to smaller dwellings. If for no other reason than the reduced energy costs (heating and/or cooling).

ToomuchStuff
6-26-12, 8:49pm
Now I have a book added to my growing read list.

That said, my dream home is a monolithic dome home. More energy efficient and maintenance and repairs are different (no roof replacement, termite proof, higher fire and disaster resistance).

try2bfrugal
6-26-12, 10:37pm
We are not buying a tiny home but all of the tiny home information has really made us think. We are downsizing at least 500 sq feet in our next house. We also realized we do not need a formal dining room, so we are looking for a place where the dining room could be converted to office space.

Sissy
6-27-12, 5:21pm

Bluesman, that book is wonderful and I totally agree with you. Do it! :)

Tussiemussies
6-28-12, 4:53am

Looks great Bae, is that a rubber roof you have on it?