PDA

View Full Version : mature women's magazine out there?

Sad Eyed Lady
6-11-12, 11:03am
I think I actually posted a thread similar to this a couple of years ago, and my search is still ongoing. I am wanting to find a magazine that is geared toward mature women that is NOT filled with sex, fashion and celebrities! I had hopes for More magazine when it came out and did find some good articles in there, but it seemed they soon gravitated toward the SEX-FASHION-GLAM-STARS way and I lost interest. I want to read about real people, not celebrities! It seems to have morphed into Redbook for the over 50 crowd. Sorry, rant started there. The same way with websites I have found that are geared toward "mature" or "senior" women - all about looking 40 instead of 60, meeting singles, etc. I would welcome links to websites like I am looking for, or suggestions of a magazine that you have found. I'm not against looking your best as you age, or having a good relationship etc, but that's just not what I am looking for at this time. I want to read about some interesting women who are making the most of these years in creativity, adventure and just living life!:cool:

bunnys
6-11-12, 12:00pm
You should try Prevention magazine. It's technically for both men and women but I think it really is geared at women. No celebrities or fashion that I can remember.

Cypress
6-14-12, 11:47am
I second the request. The only time I tend to read magazines is in the waiting room for an appointment. Oprah and Martha Stewart Living are a magazine of ads with one or two interesting paragraphs of text. This may draw some boos but can we have a women's magazine that is not child centered as well? Not all of us have children, grandchildren or have an interest in this topic.

Do you ever read AARP? I find overall content superb.

redfox
6-14-12, 12:22pm
Ms.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-14-12, 3:56pm
I second the request. The only time I tend to read magazines is in the waiting room for an appointment. Oprah and Martha Stewart Living are a magazine of ads with one or two interesting paragraphs of text. This may draw some boos but can we have a women's magazine that is not child centered as well? Not all of us have children, grandchildren or have an interest in this topic.

Do you ever read AARP? I find overall content superb.10
Yes, Cypress, I agree with you on the child issue too. I have no children, no grandchildren and have no interest in reading articles geared in that direction. Not to sound offense to those who do, but it is just not an area of interest to me. Yes, I had somewhat forgotten about the AARP magazine - I did enjoy it when we used to receive it in the mail. We are no longer members so haven't received the magazine in awhile. That is more the direction I am aiming for I guess, but with more "real people" topics rather than movie stars and other entertainers. I remember back in my very young days, reading the old Tiger Beat, 16, and other teen magazines to hear the latest on the Beatles, Stones, etc. but now I want to see what everyday people of a mature age are doing at this time and phase of life. Many apologies to parents and grandparents - no harm was intended. I have cats, can enjoy reading about cats, and you may not. Just an example.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-14-12, 4:51pm
Cypress, thanks again for reminding me about AARP. I have gone to their magazine website and have been reading and enjoying what I am finding there! Bunnys, Prevention is also an old standby and I always find something informative and interesting in it too. Thanks for your reply. Redfox.....Ms..........humm... I haven't looked at that one for several years. Just assumed it was geared toward a younger group, but will have to check it out again and see. Thanks for all your suggestions and replies.

Zoebird
6-15-12, 2:08am
I would really just look into magazines on a general topic that you like "women" is a broad topic, and "women's magazines" are always full of frustrations for me. I never read them.

But there are magazines that I enjoy. I like Dwell. I also like Parabola and Utne Reader. Tricycle and Shambhala Sun are also great (both buddhist). When it was in print, Ascent (yoga/art magazine) was awesome.

You might look for magazines that are within your specific sub-set of hobbies and interests, because these aren't focused on age or on what it presumes women are interested in (as you say above, celebs, beauty, recipes/homemaking, crafting, kids/family). They're focused on the given topic of interest.

Anyway, that's what I do. I only have a subscription to Dwell at this time. Magazines are expensive, and it's my annual birthday gift from my ILs (at $10 per year for them, they love buying this as a gift. Ascent cost $25 per year, and they were happy to do that one too until it went out of print).

JaneV2.0
6-15-12, 7:36pm
I knew if I waited long enough, someone would say what I was thinking. I've subscribed to lots of magazines over the years, but the only woman's magazine per se was Ms., which (at the time anyway) had too much of a victim slant for me.

LilyB
6-17-12, 9:45pm
One that I enjoy is Yes Magazine. www.yesmagazine.org (http://www.yesmagazine.org) Each month is devoted to a single topic. Their site also has selected articles from the magazine.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-18-12, 10:39am
One that I enjoy is Yes Magazine. www.yesmagazine.org (http://www.yesmagazine.org) Each month is devoted to a single topic. Their site also has selected articles from the magazine.

Thanks LilyB - I enjoyed looking at this online. Especially the Happiness section!

iris lily
6-18-12, 10:43am
It amazes me that Cosmopolitan magazine is still peddling the same chit after, what, 40 years? Each month there is a photo of a woman dressed in prostitute's clothing. Only now, because I am old, those girls look pretty. But in my younger days I just thought that they looked like skanks. Women my age would give lots of money to look like those skanks now, haha.

iris lily
6-18-12, 10:45am
Last week I picked up MS magazine to flip through it and it had cover story about Sandra Fluke. Yawn, that story is so over, but I do understand the limitations of monthly media, they can never be timely.

Cypress
6-18-12, 3:41pm
I did have a subscription to Body & Soul at one time. I chose to no renew as it catered to 30 something upper middle class white mothers with small children at home. The lack of cultural diversity became too pronounced for my taste.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-18-12, 4:38pm
I chose to no renew as it catered to 30 something upper middle class white mothers with small children at home.
Exactly what I have been complaining about. We are not all lumped into that same category and the interests of young mothers or young women wanting to succeed in the workplace/improve her sex life/get the latest fashion and makeup tips or another diet is just not what I am looking for at this time in my life. I used to subscribe to Redbook back in the '70's; I loved Judith Viorst's articles each month and their short story fiction was always good IMO. Then it changed. Boom! Don't know if it was a change in editors or just the times, but all at once the witty and/or thought provoking articles by Judith Viorst were replaced with how to have a whamo sex life! I wrote a note when I sent back my subscription notice to cancel.

Cypress
6-19-12, 3:35pm
This response may date me a bit, but we had a high quality locally owned bookstore that sold a wide variety of magazines for almost every interest. This was ten years ago, I have no idea if such a thing still exists. But, that is how I found and tried out a magazine that was written for Taoist called the Empty Vessel. I had an interest and could look over the offerings and make a selection. Does such a thing even exist anymore? I have not read Utne. Is Salon magazine only on-line? That might be interesting? I wish a female version of This Old House was available. I am not strong or DIY inclined. I'd like to be but the projects they feature typically are beyond my humble talents. Can't they just show how to clean and repaint my jelly cupboard?

Spartana
7-5-12, 7:31pm
Exactly what I have been complaining about. We are not all lumped into that same category and the interests of young mothers or young women wanting to succeed in the workplace/improve her sex life/get the latest fashion and makeup tips or another diet is just not what I am looking for at this time in my life. I used to subscribe to Redbook back in the '70's; I loved Judith Viorst's articles each month and their short story fiction was always good IMO. Then it changed. Boom! Don't know if it was a change in editors or just the times, but all at once the witty and/or thought provoking articles by Judith Viorst were replaced with how to have a whamo sex life! I wrote a note when I sent back my subscription notice to cancel.

I think you'd be much better off looking for magazines that are about topics that you are interested in rather thasn just focusing on a "woman's" magazine - most which seem to cover the topics you said you aren't interested. I'm also not interested in most of those topics so steer away from most of those kinds of magazines. As a woman who owns exactly one pot and one pan - both whcih never get used - I could care less about cooking. No kids either and no real interest in fashion or weight loss or how to nab a rich man by playing coy and showing my (not very ample) bosooms :-)! So you should just look for topics you like. What are some of them and maybe we can help? I don't subscribe to any magazines anymore but in the past had "Adventure", "Outdoors", and "Runner's World" - also some scientific journals - especially geology and astronomy. All with topics that were gender -less and age-less. I now can get them free at my local library.

Tussiemussies
7-5-12, 8:00pm
If you garden " The Old Farmers Almanac" has some interesting things to read. I think they are on the internet too.

Here is the URL -- you have to scroll down to see the catagories:

http://m.almanac.com/

There is also "The Farmer's Almanac":

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2012/04/16/whats-in-store-for-summer/

rosebud
7-6-12, 7:15pm
I knew if I waited long enough, someone would say what I was thinking. I've subscribed to lots of magazines over the years, but the only woman's magazine per se was Ms., which (at the time anyway) had too much of a victim slant for me.
OMG I so agree! I gave up my subscription after reading an article by a woman of Italian descent which basically amounted to hey what about Italian American women...we're victims too and here is a whole bunch of stuff that happened to us that was wrong and bad which proves we are just as much victims as black women and Jewish women and Asian women.

I like Oprah magazine and get it for free based on recycling points. It is a bit materialistic and celebrity driven but I like the articles about food and the book section. I am also getting Whole Living which is part of the Martha Stewart empire. More emphasis on organics and environmentalism.

I also like National Geographic. I read a lot of online magazines like Salon. Mental Floss is a fun magazine not specifically aimed at women but full of trivia that's fun to learn.

ApatheticNoMore
7-6-12, 7:29pm
I like Sunset ("the magazine for Western living"), food and gardening and local trips to take. I don't like the home section - that talks about home remodels and stuff, just makes me feel poor, all these architectural marvels on beachfront property and so on, hmpf I snort "the magazine for the Western 1%" >8). Yep, not so much that section, but the rest of it I like.

Spartana
7-7-12, 3:33pm
, hmpf I snort "the magazine for the Western 1%" >8).
!thumbsup!:laff:

Those kinds of magazines, TV shows, etc.. actually motivate me far, far away (and into a distant minimalist galaxy) from consumerism. For some reason, reading those types of magazines don't make me jealous at all - just makes me want LESS stuff and more free time. See, rebellion against the status quo CAN be a "good thing" :~)

Tussiemussies
7-7-12, 6:11pm
There is also the magazine "Country Woman". Which seems multi-generational.

http://www.countrywomanmagazine.com/

gail_d
7-10-12, 3:22pm
For everyone who likes thoughtful writing: The Sun (http://www.thesunmagazine.org/)