PDA

View Full Version : old site --> Jennifer, new site --> butterflybreath

ButterflyBreath
6-11-12, 9:08pm
I am a lurker also. Have been a member for a long time. Posted more often on the old site (as Jennifer), but quit visiting regularly when we switched over.

Originally from Chattanooga, TN now living in Winston-Salem, NC. Would like to return to Chatt at some time soon. It’s a great place.

Started my simple living journey when I was 21 (I turn 37 this month). Have moved around a lot, and one of the places I lived was a co-op house which I LOVED and want to find a similar arrangement again. I would say I am a “communalist” and believe in sharing and keeping as much as possible local.

I am a lifelong vegetarian who is sometimes vegan and occasionally somewhat raw. Would like to be totally vegan with more raw that not. Don’t smoke, drink occasionally but am fine without it.

I work as an LPN for a little 7 yr old girl who has intractable seizures. Some aspects of the job are great. I get to go to school with her and be with her and the other adorable special kids. She is a sweet soul.

Due to some personal issues I have had a hard time settling down. When I do, which will hopefully be soon, I want to be on an urban homestead or farm, or in an intentional community. There’s really no other way to live for me if I am to be happy.

Skills I have been working on: soapmaking, screen printing, knitting, cooking, gardening, canning, sewing, jewelry making, collage art, composting.

No permanent partner as of yet (have not married, no children), but still believe it’s possible and it is in my future. Things sure do change as you get older though. Trying to face the realities of not settling down and finding a partner, and to then assure myself that it’s ok. It is what it is, and I’d like to hear others’ stories.

JEN

danna
6-11-12, 9:45pm
So glad you have come back here...Welcome

awakenedsoul
6-11-12, 11:01pm
Hi Jen,
Welcome back! I'm interested to hear about your soapmaking. I've been reading about it and have gathered together all of my ingredients. (except goggles and gloves...)

I'm single, and bought a tiny cottage with a nice sized piece of land. I would also like to marry, but didn't want to wait to buy a house in case it didn't happen...just finished a very funny book called Why You're Not Married Yet, by Tracy Mc Millan. She's so funny, and very insightful. It's a great read...

SteveinMN
6-12-12, 9:41pm
Welcome (back), butterflybreath!

Part of the "work" I had to do when my first marriage ended was to not only consider, but accept, the possibility that I would not be in another long-term romantic relationship. I hoped it would be in the cards, but I did not "postpone" my life until it happened (or in case it didn't happen). It's a great truth of life that living happily with yourself is the surest way to open up your life to sharing it with someone else.

ButterflyBreath
6-12-12, 11:01pm
AWAKENEDSOUL, yay another soapmaker! That was one of the first skills I learned in my early 20s. I can’t remember why I decided to learn it. No one helped me, so it was a LOT of trial and error. Be smart and take a class or something ; ) I make vegan soap so I don’t use tallow/lard. I hear tallow makes it sudsier. I used essential oils for fragrance. Once I bought some ”fragrance” at a craft store and it smelled too artificial (because it was).

So for awhile I used recipes out of books I had bought, but got to a point where I wanted to make soap from what I already had on hand so I started to make up recipes. From what I remember it’s just a bunch of math to come up with the right ration of water, lye, and fats. Have you heard of Glory Bee? They have a lot of supplies. www.glorybee.com (http://www.glorybee.com). One thing that I wish I had done sooner is I got one of those hand held mixers and it was SOOOOOO much easier than stirring for an hour by hand. With the mixer it took like 3 or 4 minutes.

Good luck with that. Let me know if you have questions. I will try to find the book you mentioned.

STEVEINMN, so interesting. My cousin is going through a divorce and he mentioned reading something about accepting that he may never have a long term romantic relationship. I had never thought about that. What an awful thing to have to think about, but very realistic and healthy to go ahead and deal with that. He is such a sweet man, and she has treated him so badly. She gave up on therapy and he has read 5 or 6 books to help with their relationship. He really did try. Anyways, interesting that you also bring that up.

Someday soon I want to buy land. I’m not sure I’m ready for the commitment of a house. I know right now is a great time to buy (assuming the whole thing doesn’t come crashing down. The economy…not the house!) but I’m skeptical about buying a house. I want to build an elaborate treehouse or something really cool. I need some land because I have container gardened for a few years now and it’s just ridiculous! I want to do some real gardening. I never have enough sun where I rent and when I move I have to either leave the soil or find a way to bring it with me. I’m a perpetual renter, that’s why I think I need to go ahead and make the move to get a little land.

mtnlaurel
6-13-12, 6:48am
So glad you are back!