PDA

View Full Version : Fawn's 2012 Count

Fawn
6-13-12, 6:59pm
Well, it's that time of the year again and I have done my count and posted the results on my blog (photos included.)

The total number is the same as last year (88 items for my personal use) but rearranged some.

Also, with a change in work to part-time and a focus on the return to healthier eating and mobility, I have identified some low hanging fruit for the coming year. Ooooo! I do so love to declutter.

razz
6-13-12, 7:06pm
Finally got to see your blog and get a chuckle out of some of the entries, especially the duct tape dress episode. Glad to read that you are feeling back to being yourself.

fidgiegirl
6-13-12, 7:15pm
I just read your blog entry as well and rather than comment in both places I'll come back here!

Reading it made me feel so peaceful. I looked at your one floss, and one pair of flip flops, and one winter coat, and thought, "aaaaaah." I've seen your inventory in previous years, but it really spoke to me today. Perhaps you have planted a seed?

leslieann
6-13-12, 7:24pm
Ah, Fawn, it is that time of year. Thanks so much for posting. Makes me want to go upstairs and weed, weed, weed. I LOVE your closet.

And yes, fidgie, with the floss...how many scrappy little floss containers do we have? Every time we go to the dentist we get a handful more, and then I forget and buy some, and then I run out of some that I like and buy more, and then I find the missing dentist ones....just the floss takes up a bunch of space.

And the "outdoor activity clothing." I use it, I actually do, but I hate the space it takes up. Really living in this part of the world, and really doing outdoor stuff in snow and rain and ice as well as heat and humidity (well, as much as we ever get) means more clothes and footwear. But I bet I could cut down even more. I long for the serenity of open space. And I get the feeling, each year, from Fawn's count.

Hooray! Summer is here!

gail_d
6-13-12, 10:10pm
Thank you, Fawn! Your yearly count is my favorite thing on the SLF!

I almost misspelled it "think" and then I realized that is true for me also. I am so very far from what you have done, but your yearly posts serve as direction and encouragement to me.

CeciliaW
6-14-12, 12:29am
Well Done!

Wildflower
6-14-12, 4:19am
That is awesome, Fawn. I know I could accomplish the same on my own and would love to, but DH is another story.....I continually declutter his clutter. *sigh* I wouldn't trade him though. ;)

Fawn
6-14-12, 7:42am
razz--that dress was just fun. And thank you, it is wonderful to feel good again.

fidgiegirl--Yes, "aaaaaaa" is the sensation I get too, well worth the effort, me thinks.

leslieann--If I lived in an awesome place like you, I would have all the outdoor activity clothing too. And enjoy every minute of it. ...I get those little floss things from the dentist too. I just consider them part of the usual inventory and do not buy any more until I use them up. There is a shoebox sized bin in the hall closet for those and the toothbrushes and the bandaids and antibiotic ointment. When you do not have much stuff, it's easier to mantain the inventory.

gail_d--Wow! There are so many cool people/things about the SLF! To be somebody's favorite....Wow!

CeliaW--Thanks. (bowing)

Wildflower--An excellent husband is worth a fair amount of clutter.

CathyA
6-14-12, 8:37am
I feel stupid. Where do we find your blog?

Fawn
6-14-12, 9:13am
I feel stupid. Where do we find your blog?

Oh, I'm sorry. It's here:

singlemomenough.wordpress.com

Or you can click on the link in my signature below.

fidgiegirl
6-14-12, 9:01pm
So Fawn, I was thinking: do you keep a lot of sentimental stuff? Is that included in your count? Or have you purged it ALL?

I was looking at your jewelry, specifically. I have a lot of crappy jewelry (and a few nice pieces) that I never wear. Necklaces bother my enlarged thyroid (I know, weirdo alert). Bracelets get in my way, earrings give me an infection. I wear my wedding ring and that's all . . . but for some reason, I can't part with it. And this is because a lot of it is sentimental.

Ok, kinda hijacked. But wanted to know. :)

Fawn
6-14-12, 10:21pm
Kelli- I am the least sentimental person on the planet. I have a sliver and turquoise cuff that was my grandmothers that I wear when I am getting fancy-dressed up and a mother's ring that I designed. Everything else rotates out every year or two.

I have a box in the basement that has my most favorite drawing done by DS#3 of us cuddling on the couch and the "vocabulary list" that DS#2 created when he was very angry with me and his sister which includes all the swear words he knew at the time and then used each word in a sentence. Also in the box are assorted Mother's Day cards that they have drawn for me over the years.

I am one of those people who lives in the moment and I have little desire to create a museum of what our life was like before. I do not throw out the kid's stuff, but I make it clear that it is theirs and their responsibility.

I honestly do not know how to help people who are sentimental be less attached to their stuff. My mother feels that the spiritual essence of her dead relatives transferred to their belongings when they died, and for her those things are to be protected at all costs. Two months ago some of my grandmother's costume jewelry was stolen from my mom's house and my mother felt like she lost another important connection to her mom. To me the love is the important connection and nobody can take that away.

Different strokes, you know.

fidgiegirl
6-14-12, 10:50pm
Well, it's comforting to me on some level to know you have SOME sentimental stuff, at least. You don't include it in your count, and it's not a lot, but if it were me, I wouldn't want to get rid of EVERYTHING, either, which is why I was wondering. :)

I have culled it a few times, and need to do so again, I guess. Every time I go through it I think, why do I have XYZ? Yuck. When 5 years ago XY and Z were still super important to me. In fact I have several old journals in the garage that I culled about six months ago and nothing short of burning them will satisfy me. I even moved them rather than throwing them out in order to burn them up and know they don't exist anywhere anymore. Like then I can let the angst on those pages go. :)

Ok! Back to your regularly scheduled fawning over Fawn! :D

winterberry
6-14-12, 11:52pm
This is fascinating. I have a few questions, not to be nit picky, but I want to know how you do this... No shampoo? What about the books that you get with your gift certificates? Do you keep them?

I like your blog. Could never do what you do, but your example makes me realize how much I could get rid of, since I probably have at least 1000 things! Maybe I should take a count and see if I can decrease by half.... Thanks for the inspiration.

Fawn
6-15-12, 7:14am
Kelli- I do count the sentimental stuff: the ring and the braclet are in my count (and photo: near the front of the table of clothing) It's true, I do not count the saved pieces of paper...I guess because I am saving it for the kids and not me. That is, it is hard enough on them that I do not want them to get me object gifts, but what if I trashed the hand-made Mother's Day cards they gave me? I'm just not that mean.

winterberry- Those are just the kind of nit picky questions I like to answer. ;) No, no shampoo. Years ago I read a book called "Curly Girl" which advocates that folks with frizzy, curly hair just "wash" their hair with conditioner, no shampoo. The theory is that the soap strips off the natural oils that defrizz hair. And it works. I use my gifts cards to buy books that I can't get through the library system. After I have read them, I pass them along to a friend that I think might enjoy the book or if no one in my circle springs to mind, I gifts it to the "Friends of the Library" who have a twice a year book sale to support the library. Which only seems fair, since I get a lot of books through intra-library (or is that inter?) loan, which costs the library extra.

There is shampoo and lots of books in my house. The kids use the shampoo and own most of the books. But at any given time, I probably have 3-4 library books and a library movie and maybe some other item that has been gifted to me that I haven't figured out who to pass it along to yet.

Sissy
6-15-12, 11:54pm
I always enjoy these posts. I have to applaud for all of your effort on being a single mom, too!

I have so little energy that my dds are on my case about not caring about the grandbabies and laying around on the couch so much. I am going to as 4 a four day work week. I did that during the winter when business is naturally slower, but I can still easily get my stuff done in 3 days, but I don't want to push it and well, I need the money for 4 days at least. Thanks for the push.

Sissy
6-16-12, 6:09pm
Fawn, I love your blog. How do I get to the first post? When I find a blog that I want to follow I try to go back to the first post to "acquaint" myself, lol. I couldn't find the archives??

Spartana
7-5-12, 2:43pm
Hey Fawn - impressive as always!! Not sure I can beat your count (too many shorts and tennis shoes :-)!) and really don't know how you keep it so low with kids but congrats. I have also been getting rid of a few remaining things I no longer need - lots of clothes and most - if not all - of my many tools. The old grease monkey in me has a bit of trouble parting with them but my new simple living goal is to NEVER have to work on anything again - and that goes for yard work (all the yard tools have been gone when I sold my house) - so off to craigslist they go! I've also gotten rid of some sports equiptment too. I'll do a count again but even though I am of the 2 plates and 2 spoons kind of girl, I don't think I'm near 100 items - close though and closing in on you fast :-)!

shadowmoss
7-5-12, 7:03pm
I'm still the 2 10x20' storage unit girl. I am making a list of stuff I have down here that will be sold or donated rather than shipped back, and it is most of the stuff. I'm hoping that what I go back home to visit my stuff in September (as well as visit my Mom...), that I can get myself to purge a lot of what is in the units. Like maybe all stuff in one unit and only the Jeep in the other.

You are always an inspiration. I am not planning on cutting my waist-length hair any time soon, though. :)

Fawn
7-7-12, 8:33pm
Sissy- here is my first post http://singlemomenough.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/hello/ Thank you for your interest. I read about the sad news about your husband. I am sorry that you as a family have to go through this. Though, most folks have to go through it at some point. It is one of the most difficult parts of being human.

Spartana--I know that you are competative by nature...but you can relax. You retired at 42...I won't retire until 61. You beat me by a mile. ;) You wouldn't by chance be selling a kayak, would you? I am thinking about getting one.

shadowmoss--think how far you have come! Did you not used to have 93 pairs of black pants? And remember, SL is about freedom from the things you do not want, so as to more fully enjoy the things that you do want. [Anybody want a spare teenager?...I have 4 at my house now...3 bio and one sort-of adopted...

Spartana
7-9-12, 5:27pm
Sissy- here is my first post http://singlemomenough.wordpress.com/2010/12/20/hello/ Thank you for your interest. I read about the sad news about your husband. I am sorry that you as a family have to go through this. Though, most folks have to go through it at some point. It is one of the most difficult parts of being human.

Spartana--I know that you are competative by nature...but you can relax. You retired at 42...I won't retire until 61. You beat me by a mile. ;) You wouldn't by chance be selling a kayak, would you? I am thinking about getting one.

shadowmoss--think how far you have come! Did you not used to have 93 pairs of black pants? And remember, SL is about freedom from the things you do not want, so as to more fully enjoy the things that you do want. [Anybody want a spare teenager?...I have 4 at my house now...3 bio and one sort-of adopted...

I sold my kayak but my packrat sister has 2 so if she sells them I'll let you know. We are living together now (well, I'm only there part time) so I'm hoping she'll keep them both so I can use one of them! having packrat siblings rocks ;-)!

Spartana
7-10-12, 1:27pm
And fawn. if you do decide to buy a kayak I'd first recommend that you try out as many as possible to see what works best for you. Around here they have "demo days" in which all the kayak dealers bring hundreds of them down to the water and you can try out as many as you want for free. There are sooo many different kinds for different water conditions and uses. So knowing what you want before you buy is important. But don't buy new - check out Craigslist, etc... for better deals.

Also, you look petite and loading a kayak on your roof rack - or what ever you plan to use - can be a problem for many shorter people. Even the fairly small lightweight plastic ones can weight alot too. Also, are you close to water so you can transport it without hassle? Do you have a vehicle to tote one around in? Then you have the storage issue - do you have room to store one? Are you willing to pay to store it? My sister rents a space down at the marina for $20/month for both kayaks and so can just put them right in the water - although she does worry about someone cutting the lock and stealing them as they are very expensive ones. She also, like me, has a truck with a shell and racks (kayak racks) so that she can take it places easier. But, even though she is mega-strong she is short and it's REAL difficult for her to load her kayaks (big, fiberglass, ocean kayaks) alone. She has a step stool and rollers on her racks but still struggles.

If it was me, I'd persoanlly just rent a kayak whenever I wanted to use one rather than buy unless, like Float On, you'd be using it alot. they can be a hassle and you can usually rent one for a few bucks a hour in a variety of places rather than have to store, load, drive to your destination with it, unload, load again, drive home, unload again, clean and store everytime you want to use it.

ETA: You might also look at some of the blow up kayaks as they are suppose to be reall great (never tried them myself). Gary (AKA SimplyGIB) has one and uses it on all kinds of water but said they were best for river kayaking on class III or smaller rapids. Probably be great on lakes and other protected waters and gentle rivers and you wouldn't have to deal with any of the above mentioned issues like storage or transport.

shadowmoss
7-10-12, 4:49pm
Check out http://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks.aspx for an inexpensive inflatable kayak that a lot of the RV'ers use. It is what I plan on getting when I get back to the States where I can use it.

Come over to the dark (stuff!!!!) side, we have cookies!

Fawn
7-10-12, 6:34pm
Oooo! Ladies! Thanks for the kayak advice. I went white-water rafting with the kiddos on the Occoe river (class III-V) rapids, which got me thinking about getting a kayak. The only bodies of water around here are Lake Springfield (the infamous Lake Springfield that gave 1/3 of the participants in a triathalon a few years back a rare protezoan intestinal infection) and Lake Petersburg (much cleaner--I have swum there.)

I like the idea of trying a bunch of them out before buying one (or renting for now.) My long-term goal is to get a second-hand RV after the last kid leaves home and travel the country for at least a couple years before I settle down again. The inflatable one looks cool. I am not petite: 5'8", athletic build.

Spartana
7-11-12, 2:29pm
Check out http://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks.aspx for an inexpensive inflatable kayak that a lot of the RV'ers use. It is what I plan on getting when I get back to the States where I can use it.

Come over to the dark (stuff!!!!) side, we have cookies!

Well I'd be very happy to help you downsize some of your stuff - specifically cookies. I have a great storage place for those - inside my mouth :devil:!

Spartana
7-11-12, 2:37pm
I like the idea of trying a bunch of them out before buying one (or renting for now.) My long-term goal is to get a second-hand RV after the last kid leaves home and travel the country for at least a couple years before I settle down again.

Take Me!! I've been trying to do thast travel full time thing for awhile now and something keeps getting in the way (currently the endlessly barking dog). Might have to look into getting a small second-hand RV too. Anyways, google "kayak Demo Days" and your area you should get a bunch of hits if they have them near you. If you are going to be doing mostly river kayaking then the kayaks are much smaller and easier to load, etc... then a sea kayak. My sister does those long camping sea kayak tours all over the world to some very remote (and totally cool) places. She doesn't take her kayak of course (doesn't fit in the overhead bin of the plane :-)!) but rents one at her destination - often does the pre-set tours wuith guides. But uses her kayaks to train around here.

shadowmoss
7-11-12, 2:43pm
Spartana: Come on down to Honduras and I'll make sure you have plenty of cookies!!

Also, I would think that traveling in a small RV with the dog would be the best of both worlds for now. Look into used Lazydays class C RV's. Free camping on BLM lands if you boondock.

Spartana
7-11-12, 4:35pm
Spartana: Come on down to Honduras and I'll make sure you have plenty of cookies!!

Also, I would think that traveling in a small RV with the dog would be the best of both worlds for now. Look into used Lazydays class C RV's. Free camping on BLM lands if you boondock.

Well I had oatmeal cookies for breakfast but a few sugar cookies right about now sound good (and who said the fit are healthy? Opps, another thread!). I have contemplated the RV for along time now - especially back when I had 2 big dogs - but haven't done it because of overall cost. First the cost of a used, but newer ('cause i don't wanna work on stuff) Rv is pretty prohibitive. Second fuel costs (I do drive alot). third camping fees as I'm not the boondocking out-in-the-boonies type at all. And fourth is probably the hassle factor of having to either drive the RV everywhere (or have a gas-guzzling truck to tow a trailer with) , or tow another vehicle behind. So after doing the math i found it's financially better for me just to have a small compact new or newer car and stay either at budget motels, tent camping or an off season vacation rental. So that was the plan but the barking dog kind of put a stop to that. So now, until I can get her to cease and desist, I'll be travelling dog-less while sis watches her. Probably be about the same cost as doing a longer trip but maybe more fun because I can go more places without a dog. Like fly to Honduras for cookies :-)! Actually leavcing agin this Sat for ???? well I'll keep you in suspense but it's somewhere exotic :-)!

Fawn
7-12-12, 6:34am
Take Me!! I've been trying to do thast travel full time thing for awhile now and something keeps getting in the way (currently the endlessly barking dog). Might have to look into getting a small second-hand RV too. Anyways, google "kayak Demo Days" and your area you should get a bunch of hits if they have them near you. If you are going to be doing mostly river kayaking then the kayaks are much smaller and easier to load, etc... then a sea kayak. My sister does those long camping sea kayak tours all over the world to some very remote (and totally cool) places. She doesn't take her kayak of course (doesn't fit in the overhead bin of the plane :-)!) but rents one at her destination - often does the pre-set tours wuith guides. But uses her kayaks to train around here.

Well, I won't be leaving for 5 years (youngest is 13) so you have plenty of time to train the dog.

Cookies? Did someone say cookies?

catherine
7-12-12, 7:37am
Fawn, thanks for sharing that! What inspiration for getting rid of cr*p.

One thing that helped me in determine what I should get rid of was inventorying everything--much the same you do...

But in my case, I have SO MUCH clutter in drawers and closets, that I started writing it down. Anything that wasn't worth the effort of writing down, got dumped in the garbage or given away. I did that for a while but then got busy. I think I'll go back to trying again!

Fawn
7-12-12, 12:46pm
Fawn, thanks for sharing that! What inspiration for getting rid of cr*p.

One thing that helped me in determine what I should get rid of was inventorying everything--much the same you do...

But in my case, I have SO MUCH clutter in drawers and closets, that I started writing it down. Anything that wasn't worth the effort of writing down, got dumped in the garbage or given away. I did that for a while but then got busy. I think I'll go back to trying again!

Yeah, I started by writing things down too. I didn't start with the photos, until I started the blog. I think I was inspired by Peter Menzel's book Material World, where he has photographed the entire houshould possessions of middle class (for that country) from 100 countries around the world. I love that book so much, I have bought 3 for the school district.

Sissy
7-12-12, 5:43pm

Thanks Fawn for the link. Yes, we all have to go thru this. I am getting a bit more used to it now.