PDA

View Full Version : The Cardinal and the Cowbird baby

CathyA
6-14-12, 8:24am
I think this is what's going on. For several weeks now, I've been seeing a smaller bird crying and flapping its wings, and then a male and female cardinal feed it. I'm assuming its a cowbird. This baby cowbird spends alot of time in my fenced-in garden, but can easily fly out. I don't get too upset with cowbirds putting their eggs in other birds' nests.......they've probably been doing this for centuries. I've read that the cowbirds used to follow the bison herds, feeding on all the insects that get stirred up with the movement, and had to put their eggs where they would be cared for.

Anyhow..........what's with this baby? It can fly and is big and old enough to be on its own, but its still acting like a little baby. I've tried tell the cardinals that they are just enablers and need to force it to be more independent. haha Haven't seen any cardinal fledglings during this time. Maybe cowbird fledglings are naturally dependent longer?? Maybe we have a handicapped bird?? Its just very curious.

CathyA
6-14-12, 8:33am
Actually, after googling this, I discovered that its not uncommon at all! I've never seen it with cardinals before though. I've seen it with smaller birds, and its so funny to see a small parent bird feeding this big baby.
Nature is so cool!

Mrs-M
8-11-12, 3:45pm
Just came across this thread, CathyA, and so happy I did! I've never witnessed such. Nature holds so many surprises.

Mrs-M
8-11-12, 4:22pm
Anyhow, we have these two birds that come visit us and take up home on our property every year, Cathy. One has red-highlights on it's breast, the other is light-brown in colour. They're mates, and spend every ounce of time together. They are quite small, about the size of Nuthatches.

Would you by chance happen to know what they are? I've done a little research on the internet to try and find out, but no such luck (as of yet).

CathyA
8-11-12, 4:53pm
My guess is that they are house finches. The one with red is the male, and the brown one is the female.
They look like purple finches, but I've never had the purple finches......just the house finches. Do they look like this:
http://sdakotabirds.com/species/house_finch_info.htm

CathyA
8-11-12, 4:57pm
Here's some pics of purple finches.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Finch/id

Mrs-M
8-11-12, 5:48pm
OMG! Yes, CathyA, they are House Finches! Thanks so much!

They visit every year (faithfully), and are so dedicated to each other, playing and chasing one another from branch to branch, tree to tree. They usually show around spring, and stay until late summer (about this time). I always miss them so much when they're gone for the winter.

CathyA
8-11-12, 8:06pm
You're welcome Mrs.M. Figuring out birds is always a pleasure for me! They are one of my favorite little creatures!

Mrs-M
8-11-12, 9:22pm
I've been meaning to pick up a Birders Guide for the longest time, but each year the idea seems to pass, and before long, winter is here again.

But heck, who needs a Birders Guide when you're here! :)

Wildflower
8-13-12, 2:55am
Actually, after googling this, I discovered that its not uncommon at all! I've never seen it with cardinals before though. I've seen it with smaller birds, and its so funny to see a small parent bird feeding this big baby.
Nature is so cool!

That is so neat, CathyA. I've never seen anything like that and my backyard is basically one big bird sanctuary, but I've never experienced one kind of bird taking care of another kind of bird's babies. So interesting. It takes a village. ;)

Tussiemussies
8-13-12, 3:01am
Just so amazing all the things that nature does. I wish I coul see your birds and MrsM's birds.

Mrs. M, you will like this, one year a pair of birds made a nest in my closes pin bag. We let them stay, it was fun to really get to watch them! : )

Mrs-M
10-9-12, 5:44pm
Oh my goodness, Tussie! How adorable. Wish you had taken a picture of them.

We're having an exceptionally warm day today, and there are birds GALORE on our property! I'm enjoying it for all it's worth, because when things cool down again, the bird season will be over for us, and that always bums me out.

CathyA
10-9-12, 8:20pm
Tussiemussies.........I'll bet they were carolina wrens. They make their nests in some of the funniest places!