PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself pole-barn building

Tussiemussies
6-15-12, 12:07am
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/Pole-Buildings-DIY-Pole-Barns.aspx

loosechickens
6-15-12, 12:55am
having built a fair number of pole barns in my lifetime.......they ARE great. If you decide to build one, do everything humanly possible to get the poles set so the building is EXACTLY square (or rectangular). The closer you can come to perfect in being persnicketedy (sic?) in setting your poles, the easier everything else will be......and when you start to roof the building and apply siding, every minute you spend making sure that building is squared will save you hours of effort. Just sayin'..........

Float On
6-15-12, 9:18am
I know several people who built large pole parns and then built apartments (house size really) in one end. We looked at a property near Columbia MO a couple years ago that I would of moved to in a moment. The huge pole barn had a 2000sf apartment in one end (3 bed/2 bath) and the other end could of housed our glass studio. There was also a really cute old house that at one time had been a country one room school.

Gregg
6-15-12, 11:02am
having built a fair number of pole barns in my lifetime.......they ARE great. If you decide to build one, do everything humanly possible to get the poles set so the building is EXACTLY square (or rectangular). The closer you can come to perfect in being persnicketedy (sic?) in setting your poles, the easier everything else will be......and when you start to roof the building and apply siding, every minute you spend making sure that building is squared will save you hours of effort. Just sayin'..........

Best pole barn building advice you'll ever get is right there.

bae
6-15-12, 3:41pm
Best pole barn building advice you'll ever get is right there.

Seriously! Upon the level, and by the square, as they say.

Gregg
6-15-12, 5:07pm
Exactly!

loosechickens
6-15-12, 7:33pm
back in my salad days.....I worked construction for several years, and worked for a pole barn builder. First thing I learned.

I still remember my sweetie and I building our first pole barn, and him thinking that because he was the man, he should boss the job, and me, thinking that since I was the one who actually knew how to build one, should be boss.......the arguments where he said, "good enough", and I said, "NOPE"......he lived to thank me when we were putting on the metal roofing and that 20 x 24 ft. two story pole barn was less than a quarter inch out of square.

don't know about a lot of things, but had the necessity of the importance of squaring up a building impressed on me big time back in the day.......

Tussiemussies
6-16-12, 2:28am
Loose chickens, that is really admirable that you did such a thorough job!