PDA

View Full Version : Where's the rain???

CathyA
6-15-12, 2:28pm
We haven't had rain in forever here in central Indiana. I think our county is on the verge of a burn ban.

I water my garden for an hour every other day, and my back yard for another hour on the opposite days. (We have a well).
I've started carrying jugs of water to various small pine trees we planted last year. this is taking up too much time!

It always seems when we're in a drought, there's a hurricane doing something down south. There's one near Mexico now. Maybe when its gone, we'll get some water back?
I always worry for our 30 acres of woods in a drought. One thrown out cigarette on the road that lines our woods could do really bad things.
Time for the rain dance.

ApatheticNoMore
6-15-12, 3:11pm
Maybe plant some drought tolerant plants in the back yard instead of watering for an hour every other day (that just seems to me like a MASSIVE amount of watering!!). Yea ok that way of thinking may not be natural in some place that are supposed to get lots of water (at least supposed to if there wasn't massive climate change underway). But that way of thinking is second nature here, though I don't really recommend non-natives.

Cearly if you are growing edibles they need some watering (how much depends on the edibles though of course - some can take more drought than others - but if they are wilty looking you know it's time :)). The 40 acres I don't know, are you even able to water it at all? Probably not huh? Then you need to keep the area around the house fire resistent. See this article on firesafe landscaping (ok this is California based, but it's a place to start, then look for local guidance) :

http://cemarin.ucdavis.edu/Programs/Custom_Program97/Fire_Safe_Planting_in_Marin_County/

That's really just to slow the progress to the house, that's all that really does. If the acres burn and the fire department doesn't come, maybe nothing helps.

pinkytoe
6-15-12, 3:56pm
Welcome to Texas! It hasn't rained here more than a spit in over a month now. Last summer, we went about four months without rain. Drought appears to be the way of the future for many of us.

Gregg
6-15-12, 5:06pm
We Nebraskans were really dry too, until last night. We got about 1 1/2" in a pretty good line of storms that moved through then it just kept raining soft all night long for a total of almost 2 1/2". You could almost HEAR the ground sucking in the moisture.

artist
6-15-12, 7:26pm
That was us last summer. Too hot, no rain. Mild winter with no snow. (we usually average 75-80 inches a season. I think we got about 20 inches total this year.) Thankfully it has been a wet spring and we have not had to water anything other than new plantings and things in pots. Praying that this continues, as the water table is still too low, dispite the wet spring.

peggy
6-15-12, 8:56pm
Tell me about it! I spend about 2 hours watering every other day! And it's not that I'm planting such water hogs, but when you have new plantings, you need to water them regularly, even when you do get rain. I had the misfortune, or non-foresight, to plant 16 new little trees this spring. I need to make sure each and every one gets plenty of water, on a regular basis, or they will not thrive. That plus the veg garden and any flowers i want to save. Oh, and there are the 5 new roses I planted as well. Last summer was very dry, but at least the spring was normal in wetness. This spring started dry, and it doesn't look like it will get any better. I also broke down and deep watered my pear and maple trees last week. They are established trees, but it's been so dry, and they have been so stressed with fire blight, I didn't want to stress them more with a drought. Plus they are loaded with pears, and I don't want to sacrifice any.

CathyA
6-15-12, 10:44pm
Peggy.......I just told my DH "I'm glad we didn't plant a bunch of new trees this spring". That's really rough for you. Like you said, new trees lots of water. Last summer, I used about 300' of hose to water a bunch of newly planted pine trees. I might still have to water them this year, if it doesn't rain soon. We've gotten maybe 1/4" rain in the past 6 weeks, at most. Are you on a well?

peggy
6-16-12, 4:25pm
Cathy, no we have county water. Our water bill will be astronomical, but I can't lose these trees. The ponds are down but the one in the front, the main fish pond, is quite deep so I'm not really worried about it. The fen in the back isn't so deep so it might get pretty low if this keeps up. We did get about 1/2 inch last Monday, the first rain in a month, and it helped, but so much of it just ran right down the huge cracks in the ground. We have clay soil, so basically we are making bricks here!

But it's hard to get anything established well in this soil, even under the best of circumstances. I tried blueberries, but gave up on them. I don't have the time to grow anything that I need to baby. Once established though, pears, plums, persimmons and blackberries do pretty well. And the resistant apples, Liberty, Jonfree, etc...do pretty good as well. I probably shouldn't have planted so many trees this spring, but I have set myself a schedule of planting to get everything established before I'm too old to dig! ;) Plus I have been wanting redbuds for quite some time so I added 3 to my spring planting of fruits. Plus two chestnuts, something else I've been wanting for awhile.
I was planning to plant a couple of apples this spring but never quite got around to it. Glad I didn't! If this drought breaks, I still might plant some this fall.

CathyA
6-16-12, 4:40pm
We lived next to a woods when we first moved here, but I wanted trees closer. We've probably planted at least 100. We've got a system down for protecting them from bunnies and deer (2 types of fencing). But then the weeds grow up inside the fences and its hard to weed. I planted 2 persimmon trees about 6 years ago. Then I found out that you need a male and female to get fruit and I don't know what these are (the nursery didn't tell me about needing a male and female). I've been waiting for them to blossom, but just read that they take 10 years to blossom, and produce their best fruit at 20-30 years. When you get older, you start realizing that you might never see the fruit on fruit trees you plant!
I just hope our water pump and pressure tank hold up for all this watering. Is your water chlorinated? Is that a problem when watering trees/garden?
We have one old apple tree, but the late freeze killed its blossoms. The thousands of black walnut trees we have are indestructible and nothing seems to stop them from producing tons of walnuts, and they grow anywhere and everywhere.
We might get a little rain tomorrow. Fingers crossed! I saw a bird taking a dust bath in my garden today.

peggy
6-16-12, 9:50pm
This very afternoon we got rain! Lots and lots of rain! So welcomed! And we might get more this evening. I'm thrilled! My sister, who lives just about 6 miles from us hardly got any. It's so random!
The persimmon we planted is the Fuju persimmon, a Japanese persimmon. Self pollinating, but with most of this type, a second tree helps with production.
I know what you mean about seeing the fruits of your labor (pun intended) I planted Missouri pecans this spring and I'm pretty sure we won't live to see nuts, but I wish someone had planted these 30 years ago, so maybe 30 years from now, someone will be glad I did. Oh I plan to be alive 30 years from now, but I won't be digging, planting, and harvesting. Maybe I'll just be sitting by the fire shelling.;)

We have an old apple too and this year it's loaded with apples. Not sure of the variety but i think it's a granny smith type. I really treat it more as an ornamental than anything. It's not resistant to anything so seldom gets many apples to ripe.

Our water has every chemical the county can throw at it, but we have filter systems so don't worry much. But I've noticed plants simply do better with natural rain water. I'm glad for the rain today, we really needed it.

I know what you mean by walnuts. We used to live where there were tons of black walnuts. Not really useful trees and walking on the nuts was like walking on golf balls. Really dangerous for ankles! There was a company who bought the nuts though, for the shells I think. They used them in industrial polishing i think.
We have about a dozen huge shag bark hickories here. Very tasty nuts but I need to find a better way to crack them. I haven't really put my attention to it but this year will be a good year for nuts so I'm determined to get a good cracker made for these nuts. They really are tasty!

I will send good rain thoughts your way.:)

CathyA
6-16-12, 10:16pm
I'm glad you got some rain! We've been on the edge of a system all evening, and so far, nothing. I could hear alot of thunder for several hours, but it never came. :(
There is a system in Illinois headed this way, so I hope we get some. But it might peter out before it gets here. That's the way its been for a long time.......it looks like we'll get some, then we don't.
The plants definitely prefer rain water to ground water! Even a little sprinkle from the sky seems to give them alot of hope.

peggy
6-18-12, 8:18am
Cathy, I was wondering..You said you planted a hundred trees, What did you plant?

iris lily
6-18-12, 10:21am
Last week we got 1+ inch. This weekend we got 1/2". It's not much but it's staving off drought.

CathyA
6-18-12, 1:40pm
Let's see...........alot of white pine, Austrian pine (which are all dying of diplodia blight), firs and spruces, maples( red, sugar, and unfortunately a Norway maple, (which I didn't know was a no-no when I planted it), sweetgum, black gum, locust, oak, Linden, serviceberry, ash, paw paw, persimmon, redbud, tulip, buckeye.......there's probably more, but I can't think of them just now. I'm a real tree person! :)

No rain yet..........even with the hopes of 2 fairly large storm systems that passed through recently......but missed us. The temps and humidity are going up now, so that gives me hope for a pop-up thunder storm. Our next real chance is when a cooler front comes through on Thursday eve............everyone join me in a rain dance! Its really getting ridiculous. I hope we're not on a course like Texas has been, of drought year after year.
It wouldn't be fun. We also have about 8 small pine trees in the garden that we've been holding there since last year that we need to plant out in the field. And I'd hate to have to water things so far from the house.
Oh well.........who knows...........we might have floods in the near future too. You just never know with this funky weather.

IL.........I'm glad you got some rain. I'd be happy with 1/4" now!

peggy
6-18-12, 3:57pm
An interesting mix of trees. Any rhyme or reason to the mix or just trees you like? Sweetgums are so beautiful in the fall, and if not too close to the house/street/walk, the little balls are interesting. Lot's of future craft projects!
I like Lindens too. I need to find a spot to put one. Do you know the leaves are edible when young and tender? And the flowers make a popular tea!

Sending good rain thoughts your way!

CathyA
6-18-12, 8:52pm
Thanks peggy,
The Linden leaves are a favorite of the japanese beetles. :( Fortunately, the winter before last was severe so we hardly had any beetles last summer. I've seen a few already this year..... They can really skeletonize the whole tree.
I LOVE White pines, so we've planted alot of them. But they are so fragile in ice storms. But they have an amazing regenerative capacity. The Sweetgums I chose for their color. They can really vary from tree to tree though. Lost a leader in a bad ice storm, but it put a side leader up. I wanted persimmon fruit, and also paw paw fruit......but I'm not sure I'll get any in my lifetime............or while I still have a little steam left. haha

The orioles like the tulip trees. I've never bought any new buckeyes.........just transplanted some from down by our creek. Black gum is gorgeous in the Fall.

I seem to have accidentally planted alot of invasives many years ago, when I didn't know they were invasives..........northern oats, euonymous vines, burning bush, trumpet vine, sumac. I'm not sure sumac is 'invasive' but it sure pops up everywhere. I just wish I had a male plant. Mine are all female, so they don't make the seeds.....which is a bummer. I wanted seeds for the birds and its supposed to make a good tea too.

When I get overwhelmed by all the invasives around here, I just try to think "its all for the animals".........which helps a little.

I do covet your pond and bog!

iris lily
6-18-12, 9:16pm
Lindens are handsome trees. I've got them across the street from me, and there was a great old row of them at work now mostly gone due to age.) And you know how hard it is to get me to say something nice about trees. Some find the smell of their flowers in May overpowering, but I like it.

Wildflower
6-18-12, 10:02pm
We need rain here so bad. Just started watering heavily today. We don't usually, but all our new plantings won't make it through the summer if we don't....

peggy
6-19-12, 12:04pm
Speaking of the fen (not quite a bog. Too much open deep water to be a bog. It will, however, be a bog in about 20-30 years as nature progresses.) I was witness to the most incredible drama this morning. I was looking down there, as I do most mornings to see who is there, when I noticed a great churning in the water. We have so many turtles, but two in particular are huge, maybe the size of a larger platter, or a bit larger, and not really fond of each other. Several territorial disputes over the last few weeks, but this morning it came to a head. While I was watching, these two monsters were going at it, beak and claw. They were only about 5 feet off the shore so I got a front row seat, as it were. Lots of churning, rolling each other and actually coming out of the water, lunging at each other! It was an epic battle fought back and forth for almost an hour, when suddenly it stopped, and one giant went limp. He was dead! The one killed the other! He bobbed high in the water, and the other rolled and pushed him around for a bit, then started dragging him away. You could see he was having difficulty maneuvering the huge turtle, even though he was floating now. He got about 20-30 feet, then a great rush of bobbing and rolling and I suppose he was getting 'help' in disposing of the remains. As the corpse was being rolled in the orgy, you could see the red flesh where I guess his feet and head were being devoured first. Gruesome, but fascinating all the same! Within about 30 minutes his shell was drug down completely underwater, and life at the fen returned to normal. The kingfisher caught a good sized goldfish, the other turtles were sunning on a log, and the massive battle, fought and won, was forgotten.
All I needed was the Disney voiced narrator...".... life and death on the Savannah..."

CathyA
6-19-12, 1:12pm
Wow Peggy! That's incredible. So you think it was other turtles that were eating the dead one, or a bunch of fish too?
What part of the country do you live in?
Richard Attenborough would have done a good job, but he might be a little pricey. haha

redfox
6-19-12, 1:49pm
It's in Seattle! Our 30 year wet spring cycle is upon us. Third year in a row... We're still using heat in the house!

peggy
6-19-12, 2:08pm
It was amazing! I know stuff like this goes on all the time in nature, but to witness it was a stroke of luck! I live in Missouri, pretty much in the middle. These two behemoths are the alligator snapper types, really fat and angry. Frankly, I'm glad at least one is gone cause I suspect they are the ones eating the little goosletts and ducklets each spring. They are getting fat on my goldfish! But then, so is everyone else so i can't really begrudge them that meal.
I'm guessing it was turtles helping him eat the turtle, although I guess fish could help. The main fish in this fen are goldfish though, vegetarians, so it was probably other turtles.
I just love watching the wildlife down there. I keep a pair of binoculars hanging by a back picture window and we see some really cool things. This past week there has been a bald eagle hanging around. Not really sure why as this isn't a regular nesting area for them. They do come in the winter, but this big guy, who is an adult, should be up north nesting. The crows sure don't like him hanging around! They keep chasing him off.
We get heron, great grey and green and great white, wood ducks, geese, kingfisher, owls, and all sorts of hawks and (ewww) vultures. A vacation for us is just sitting on the back deck with binoculars in hand.
Richard Attenborough would do, but I was thinking more of the Disney guy with the casual, everything-is-going-to-be-fine voice. You know..."Uh Oh! It looks like Tommy turtle lost his head...no matter, his friends will be along shortly to clean up the mess...."

CathyA
6-19-12, 4:19pm
"I was thinking more of the Disney guy with the casual, everything-is-going-to-be-fine voice. You know..."Uh Oh! It looks like Tommy turtle lost his head...no matter, his friends will be along shortly to clean up the mess...."
LOL!!
I love turkey vultures!! Think what a stinky world it would be without them. haha
There are bald eagles about 20 miles from here. I wish they would come this way. Usually have a couple heron looking for fish in the creek during the week. Occasionally we have kingfishers.....clack, clack, clacking.
We used to spend alot of time on our deck, but since we got the golf cart, we spend it on our trails. I would be very sad without it. I bought some mosquito netting for it, but it caught too many other insects as we went along, so I took it off.
I saw one of those pop-up screened-in structures at the store. You should put one of those up by your pond and fen. I'd be lost without my binocs too.
Do you have wood duck houses, or do they find holes in trees to nest?
Sounds like you have a paradise out there Peggy!

Gregg
6-19-12, 4:39pm
Awsomely cool stuff, but custom made for Wild Kingdom if you ask me peggy. You know, "as Jim wrestles the man eating crocodiles Marlin heads back to camp for tea...".

peggy
6-19-12, 9:24pm
"I was thinking more of the Disney guy with the casual, everything-is-going-to-be-fine voice. You know..."Uh Oh! It looks like Tommy turtle lost his head...no matter, his friends will be along shortly to clean up the mess...."
LOL!!
I love turkey vultures!! Think what a stinky world it would be without them. haha
There are bald eagles about 20 miles from here. I wish they would come this way. Usually have a couple heron looking for fish in the creek during the week. Occasionally we have kingfishers.....clack, clack, clacking.
We used to spend alot of time on our deck, but since we got the golf cart, we spend it on our trails. I would be very sad without it. I bought some mosquito netting for it, but it caught too many other insects as we went along, so I took it off.
I saw one of those pop-up screened-in structures at the store. You should put one of those up by your pond and fen. I'd be lost without my binocs too.
Do you have wood duck houses, or do they find holes in trees to nest?
Sounds like you have a paradise out there Peggy!

We think it's a paradise! We have felt so lucky every day since we found this place. After moving so many times all over the globe, we are quite content to spend the rest of our days here. My husband says they wil have to take him out feet first!
My sister has talked of building a blind down by the fen as she is in to photography. Lots to photograph down there.
I've often though one of those pop up screened things would be dandy on the dock on the front pond. Many times I've sat out there on the evening and thought I could just fall asleep listening to the Northern cricket frogs, with the cool breeze blowing through. With so much water, and frogs/birds/bats/etc..we really don't have problems with mosquitoes, but it only takes one pesky bug to ruin a good nights sleep. ( i would give anything for a sleeping porch. Love them, covet them, want one!) Maybe sometime, when my son is visiting, we'll get one and set him up. He is game for anything!
We don't have wood-duck boxes although I'd love to build some and set them up. The ducks love the fen, very protected, lots of shore line reeds etc.. but the turtles, and I suspect the owl and hawks keep the population down. They are the prettiest ducks, and put on a good show in spring with the courting and such. Last year our mating pair got 3 to adulthood, which I think is pretty good.
Unfortunately, no ducklings this year, or goosletts. It was so sad really. A few weeks ago i saw our regular pair of geese on the little hill next to the fen calling and calling. The male would walk to the edge of the fen and call. Then they walked to the front pond and called some more. Whatever happened to their brood must have just happened. Could have been the turtles, but we also have a pair of coyotes in the neighborhood, and a few wayward neighbor dogs, so that is more likely. Very sad. I felt sorry for these fine goose parents who usually manage to get the majority of their brood to adulthood. I was hoping they would have another brood, but maybe geese don't do that.
Do you camp on your property? I think one of those screened things would be good for casual camping as well. What part of the country do you live in?
Vultures are useful, fulfilling their role. They apparently nest somewhere around here because i see them on the neighbors barn, which is in the next meadow over from us. They stand on the peak, wings outspread, wing tip to wing tip. Sometimes 5 or 6 vultures spread out on the barn top. It looks like a sign of the Apocalypse! But you are right! Without them it would be a very nasty, and stinky world!

peggy
6-19-12, 9:41pm
Awsomely cool stuff, but custom made for Wild Kingdom if you ask me peggy. You know, "as Jim wrestles the man eating crocodiles Marlin heads back to camp for tea...".

Ha Ha! Right you are! Have you ever seen a program, i think on history channel but i could be wrong, called Turtle Man? My daughter and I were surfing one evening and came upon this show. It was hilarious! This fellow was thrashing and churning in someones pond, and after a lot of wrestling came up with a turtle about the size of a dinner plate, holding it above his head in triumph! We were laughing our A--es off. We thought this was surely a Saturday Night Live skit, but it wasn't. It was just too funny!
Yeah, I could hear the whole Wild Kingdom thing playing in my head, except Jim wouldn't have to lift a finger. The bad ass turtle took care of the whole thing!
Marlin still gets the cup of tea though!:D

CathyA
6-19-12, 9:51pm
Oh I'm so envious of your place Peggy!

That is sad about the geese and losing their babies. Its the circle of life.......but we don't have to like it!

I live in central Indiana. Would love to live farther out from civilization. And the development around here (before the downturn) was marching horribly fast towards us. I was grateful when it slowed down. I hope it doesn't pick up again! We only have 33 acres.

I used to not think August was very enjoyable, but now its one of my favorite months of the year...........all the frogs/crickets/katydids. One year, down by the bridge, there were more frogs than usual.........even a bull frog (which seems rare here). I so wished I could hang some sort of hammock over the creek and just sleep there. We haven't camped on the property yet, although DH has talked about wanting to do it. I'm afraid I couldn't sleep on the ground any more (and would need a battery for my cpap machine!), but that pop-up screened thing would be perfect.
We used to feel like we lived on the edge of the earth with woods behind us...........until someone built 3 houses back there and then the guy started riding his motocross motorcycle through his woods.
I would love to never hear any humans at all...........just animals and the wind through the trees.

I had considered having a pond built awhile back, but we never did. Now when I hear the Canadian geese yelling alot by the creek about a mile away, I'm sort of glad we didn't. haha
I would love to have even a swamp.............all the life that's in those is incredible.

I have a neat picture of 3 turkey vultures spreading their wings in the sun in my yard that I wanted to post, but photobucket won't let me sign in. They love to nest in the lofts of barns. Just don't get too close to the babies........they like to vomit at you, as a defense. And you can imagine what their parents have been feeding them. hahahahaha

I would love to have a very small pond in our yard, but we always planned on adding on to the house, so I didn't want to do anything too permanent. So instead, I just have several big stocktank watergardens, and one we sunk into the ground, and another in the ground is a lotus bog. Just those things bring frogs and snakes. We have a bunch of tree frogs. I haven't seen hardly any green frogs this year. I think the early high temps followed by alot of freezing may have killed alot of them off. Too bad. I really love hearing them. I'm on a watergardening forum and everybody wants to attract frogs. Sometimes, though, there's a person who comes on and says "I put in this water garden, and now I have all these frogs. How can I get rid of them??" Its like.........you've sure come to the wrong place to ask that!
I love falling asleep to them singing.
Sounds like building a blind so your sister can take pictures sounds like a great idea.

peggy
6-20-12, 10:12am
With 33 acres, you have a paradise too! Especially with all those lovely trees. I'll bet it's very park like. Your own private park! I would love to have water lilies. I guess I'd have to put them in the fen as I have some koi in my front pond. Just 7, for my pets, but that's enough to destroy any lilies.
It is sad about the geese. We really enjoy watching the babies grow up. Actually, we don't have any babies this year. Usually we have ducks, geese and turkey (ugliest babies but so cute!) But not this year. A tough year for babies I guess.
I didn't know that vultures nested in barn lofts. Well, that's probably where these nest then. That would figure as they seem to congregate on the barn peak. And they throw up huh? Well, that would be fitting of a vulture I guess!
We do have a couple of bull frogs but the main frogs here seem to be these Northern Cricket frogs. Tiny, cute little guys that make a huge clicking noise. At their size I imagine everybody feasts on them!
You could still build a small pond. You have the room. And your trees should block the neighbors, eventually!;)

CathyA
6-20-12, 10:33am
I think this hot dry weather is affecting alot of wildlife.

I would hesitate putting any lotus in your fen. They are extremely invasive (what isn't??)......and would take over your fen entirely within just a couple years.
I used to have my lotus in above-ground stocktanks, in containers, but I would have to thin them every 2 years, and I would have to bury them in the ground over winter. Its still worth it though.
You could get a small lotus and keep it in a container you sink into the ground. You could have that up by your house. I used to have 3 varieties of lotus, but now only have the Egyptian lotus in my bog.
Its funny, but I could never get the American lotus to survive! I guess exotic invasives just love our property!

I feel like our property is sort of sick. It just doesn't get rich like some areas do. I've talked to several people around here to say their trees are dying too. :(

I kept hearing a sound towards the end of summer and was hoping it was cricket frogs. But it ended up being greater angle-wing katykids!

I wish we had some place for turkey vultures to nest here. One summer, after a big flood, the turkey vultures must have found alot of dead animals along the creek, because they roosted close to our house up in the spruce trees for a couple weeks. It was so cool. We would sit on the deck and about the same time every evening, they would start coming in from all directions and landing in the tree. There were about 10 of them.
I did see a turkey on the top of an old barn recently and not far from it was a hole in the roof........so I'm sure it had a nest in there. They are very cool birds. They mind their own business, and get the job done.
I doubt I'll find any knick knacks of turkey vultures though. haha
Oh yes.........the babies throw up and its projectile. I think it might also be a defense mechanism of the adults too. EEEwwwwwwwww.

Did you know bull frogs eat small animals and birds? I'm not sure I would want one in my watergardens. But they sure are cool to listen too.
Ain't nature grand? :)

peggy
6-20-12, 3:05pm
I had heard they would eat small birds. I don't think ours are that big, hopefully! They always give me a start when I go to the dock and they suddenly jump in. You'd think I'd anticipate it by now!:0!

I like that idea of putting a lotus in a sunken container. Or, I wonder if one would live in a half barrel on the patio? I'll have to check into that. We used to eat a lot of lotus in Japan. It was a common vegetable (I guess it's invasive there too!). Very pretty, but totally tasteless! Kind of like water chestnuts.
Do you think it's the dryness that's killing the trees? Or has your weather changed that much, with climate change, to affect the trees? Very odd that yours and your neighbors trees are dying. Have you talked to the county extension agent? That person my have some clues as to why.

CathyA
6-20-12, 3:21pm
Yes, you could definitely put a dwarf lotus in a half barrel.....but nothing bigger. How cold do your temps get in the winter? If it would freeze solid, it would die. But you could cover it with straw or something.

I would plant it in a smaller container that would fit in your barrel, so you could get your fingers around it and be able to pull it out of the barrel, in order to thin it. I sunk a 30-35 gallon Tuff Stuff container into the ground and then planted the lotus in a 7 gallon container which I put into the bigger container. That lotus died and I pulled the whole thing out and filled it in because it didn't get enough sun. But the frogs liked it.

The inground stocktank and lotus bog I have are 300 gallon Rubbermaid containers.
But you could easily sink something like the half whiskey barrel in the ground........but something that wouldn't rot might be better. Do you have a Tractor Supply Company around there? They have a number of great containers.
I've heard American indians ate the roots alot.
There are several dwarf lotus. When I get too tired of emptying some of my above-ground stocktanks out every Fall, I'll probably get a couple of the dwarf lotus and the dwarf water lilies too.

No, its not the dryness that seems to be hurting the trees. I'm not sure what it is. My cyber friend in Southern Illinois said she's been noticing the same thing. Maybe its the air? the run-off from farms?

peggy
6-20-12, 10:10pm
A real puzzle about your trees. I hope y'all get answers soon.
I'll look into the dwarf lotus thing. i really like the idea, thanks. We do have farm centers here and they have the stock tanks. All sizes. We do/can freeze pretty solid in the winter so i guess i would really need to do something in the ground.