PDA

View Full Version : Roses

domestic goddess
6-16-12, 1:16pm
When I was growing up, my grandparents had a rose garden at the side of their house. It was pretty big, with upwards of 30 plants. Now I am having the urge to create a similar garden here, but on a smaller scale. I am interested in roses for their appearance, but also for their fragrance. I'm not really too interested in showy hybrids that look nice but have no scent. Heck, I can sit vases of sild flowers around for that! Does anyone have any suggestions as far as variety goes? I found a list of 10 roses noted for their fragrance on-line; what do you think?
Double Delight Midas Touch
Elle Mr. Lincoln
4th of July Scentimental
Honey Perfume Sheer Bliss
Memorial Day Sun Sprinkles

Most of these are also pretty spectacular in appearance, and 10 roses may be more than I can deal with in one year, when I also have to prepare a bed. I had already decided that Mr. Lincoln was a must-have. Any olther favorites? I know I can't recreate anything on the scale my grandparents had (they also had a HUGE garden, including grapes), but I would like to have some.

razz
6-16-12, 4:39pm
Tropicana is my favourite rose for appearance and fragrance. It is an older type and seems more hardy than some I have tried.
Some of the Austin roses have a lovely fragrance as well.

Tussiemussies
6-16-12, 10:16pm
Don't know much about the types that have a lot of fragrance, but we just recently went to a rose garden where the smell was drifting through the air and when I would smell, as you said, some had no small at all, some had a deep spicy scent -and others had a really great rose scent.

Your grandparents sound like they were great gardners -- what else did they have?

iris lily
6-17-12, 12:45am
Roses need a ton of sun. Also, Chicago is pretty cold for them. My aunt who lived in Chicago and the Twin cities used to plant them as annuals. Witches Broom (a disease) is taking out all of the roses around here included the KnockOuts, formerly impervious to anything. It's so bad that here the Botanical Gardens threw away all of the roses in their rose garden, lifted all of the soil and replaced it before replanting. And finally, roses have thorns.

Can you tell that I really really do not like roses?:laff:

lizii
6-17-12, 5:12am
I think that Double Delight has the most wonderful scent than any other rose. My Italian friend used to grow them in his garden to bring a bouquet to me. They scented up my apartment with the most delightful scent for days.

Rosemary
6-17-12, 6:00am
The Twin Cities arboretum has a rose garden - I think there have been varieties developed specifically for cold climates. I suggest going to your local arboretum or rose garden to see (and sniff!) those varieties. When I visited the rose garden here, it was obvious that some fare better than others.

iris lily
6-17-12, 9:23am
My friends, if you are interested in scent, plant lilies. Orientals and Trumpets have fabulous fragrance. Right now in my garden it is high season for both of them. One cut stem in a house scents the entire house. Some of my friend actually put my bouquets outdoors because the scent is too strong in the house.

bunnys
6-17-12, 1:25pm
I think that Double Delight has the most wonderful scent than any other rose. My Italian friend used to grow them in his garden to bring a bouquet to me. They scented up my apartment with the most delightful scent for days.

+1 on Double Delight. I'm not a fan of a red rose so I'd personally axe the Mr. Lincoln--although it does smell nice, too.

It's been so long since I paid attention to roses that I can't really remember much besides those and Peace. Although I don't think Peace is remarkable at all.

Enjoy your garden.

domestic goddess
6-17-12, 5:14pm
Many thanks to you all. Razz, thanks for mentioning Tropicana. I had completely forgotton about that one! Iris Lily, I know that growing roses here can be challenging, but some types are bred to be more cold resistant, and insulation and cones in winter help, too. My grandparents had an enormous lot (which has now been divided into smaller lots) so they had a huge garden with all the usual suspects, plus the grapes and a big strawberry patch that my brother and I raided whenever we could. I always loved the rose garden, and such a large one was different from anything I had ever seen. It seems that I am thinking more and more about the "old days" lately, and am trying to replicate some of that in my life now.

rosarugosa
6-17-12, 6:53pm
Rugosa roses are tough and very fragrant, and of course, I like the name. :) That said, I don't currently grow any roses; they never were a real favorite.
IL: Do you not have issues with those nasty red lily-chomping beetles, or are they not a problem in your area?

iris lily
6-17-12, 7:16pm
Rugosa roses are tough and very fragrant, and of course, I like the name. :) That said, I don't currently grow any roses; they never were a real favorite.
IL: Do you not have issues with those nasty red lily-chomping beetles, or are they not a problem in your area?

I don't know, I don't really have roses except for a KnockOff plant; and for years I had The Fairy. But those aren't cultivated like roses. DH has a few roses but I don't pay attention to his gyrations to take care of them.

herbgeek
6-17-12, 7:16pm
I've been happy with most of the roses I've gotten in the Heirloom Roses catalog/website. Even if you don't buy from them, I think they do a good job categorizing the type of scent and the amount of scent in each of the varieties. Since I live in Zone 5 (well it USED to be zone 5, I hear we are a 6 now) I got the super hardy variety they carry which are on their own root stock and not grafted. I'm partial to pink roses and have 5 varieties now (ripped up a couple that weren't performing- all leaves and no flowers).

iris lily
6-17-12, 7:18pm
Many thanks to you all. Razz, thanks for mentioning Tropicana. I had completely forgotton about that one! Iris Lily, I know that growing roses here can be challenging, but some types are bred to be more cold resistant, and insulation and cones in winter help, too. My grandparents had an enormous lot (which has now been divided into smaller lots) so they had a huge garden with all the usual suspects, plus the grapes and a big strawberry patch that my brother and I raided whenever we could. I always loved the rose garden, and such a large one was different from anything I had ever seen. It seems that I am thinking more and more about the "old days" lately, and am trying to replicate some of that in my life now.

oh I get that. I am growing this summer Tuberoses that my grandfather grew. He was a flower guy, didn't bother with vegetables. He grew cleome back before it was ubiquitous. He was a gladiola King, I 've got photos of him with trophies at flower shows with his prize winning glads, But me, I can't get into glads.

Florence
6-17-12, 7:28pm
I am having a dreadful time with my roses this year. Perhaps last year's drought weakened them but I didn't lose any last year and I've already lost 4 to some kind of blight or fungus. Right now I am alternately spraying with 4 different fungicides to keep whatever it is at bay. So far my 5 knockouts have not been affected but every one of the others has been attacked including my antiques. I am not a happy rosarian right now.

iris lily
6-17-12, 8:32pm
I am having a dreadful time with my roses this year. Perhaps last year's drought weakened them but I didn't lose any last year and I've already lost 4 to some kind of blight or fungus. Right now I am alternately spraying with 4 different fungicides to keep whatever it is at bay. So far my 5 knockouts have not been affected but every one of the others has been attacked including my antiques. I am not a happy rosarian right now.

Are they showing at the tips of branches: red leaves, contorted/small/woven branches that go into each other? Might be Witches Broom (I can't remember the real name of the disease, but it is transmitted by thrips.) Of course there is the never ending fungus problems with roses. Egad, they are a lot of trouble. Grow lilies.;)

Florence
6-17-12, 9:25pm
Iris, I am threatening to pull them all out and plant day lilies. But I have nurtured them since they were bare rooted twigs and I hate to give up on them. But this may be the year...

nswef
6-17-12, 9:37pm
i would second the rugosa rose. They smell exquisite, are hardy on the beaches of Maine...and survive nicely here in humid Maryland. They are very thorny and the flower is only one layer of petals, but oh the scent...it is enthralling and the lovely hips in the fall are bright orange.

Rosemary
6-17-12, 9:57pm
My friends, if you are interested in scent, plant lilies... One cut stem in a house scents the entire house.

True... but lilies don't smell like roses! I like lilies, but I love the scent of roses.

Tussiemussies
6-17-12, 10:27pm
Domestic goddess, your grandparent's garden sounds like it was a little slice of heaven. Good luck with recreating that!

Tussiemussies
6-18-12, 1:00am
Just read about using Epsom salt for gardening and they really recommend it for roses. Of course they recommend their brand but I think any brand would suffice...

http://wakeup-world.com/2012/05/05/gardening-with-epsom-salt/

Gardenarian
6-19-12, 8:40pm
Jardins de Bagatelle is my favorite rose - it is almost pure white (tho' most of the pictures I'm finding online are more pink than in real life) and has the most heavenly fragrance.