PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Path

fidgiegirl
6-16-12, 2:56pm
I would like to lay some gravel paths in our backyard much like this:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20048448_last,00.html

But am wondering if I can skip the landscape fabric. I just detest the stuff, putting plastic in the ground! But if it's crucial, I may be able to live with it. What do you think?

peggy
6-16-12, 4:35pm
You could skip the fabric, but be prepared for weeds and grass to spring up in your path. I suppose if you don't mind spraying round-up periodically, you could do it. But the landscape fabric will stop the weeds...for a bit. The thing I don't like about the fabric is, it doesn't stay put, even if you pin it. Eventually it will come up in spots and is all but impossible to reposition under the gravel. Have a good, deep bed, really good edging, and spray every now and then.

fidgiegirl
6-16-12, 5:10pm
Now I'm thinking stepping stones and some ground cover might be a better option . . . like a low growing thyme or something

Or just mulch paths :)

Gravel path would be so much work to do it right . . . and our yard really isn't even that big . . .

Hmm thanks for the think aloud all . . .

Gardenarian
6-19-12, 8:53pm
Yes, gravel can be a bit of a nuisance.
Pavers/stepping stones are nice, but can get a bit pricey.
I have used old carpet cut into strips to make paths in my garden. Just lay it down and cover with wood chips (free from the city.) The carpet keeps the weeds from coming through. You can also use cardboard, but the wood chips stay in place better with carpet.

fidgiegirl
6-19-12, 9:17pm
Hmmmm, good idea . . .

iris lily
6-19-12, 9:26pm
If I were going to make paths, I'd use wood mulch because it's free here.

The Storyteller
6-19-12, 11:47pm
I would like to lay some gravel paths in our backyard much like this:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20048448_last,00.html

But am wondering if I can skip the landscape fabric. I just detest the stuff, putting plastic in the ground! But if it's crucial, I may be able to live with it. What do you think?
Actually, you can garden with plastic and be certified organic. I have a couple of friends who do plasticulture who are.

Blackdog Lin
6-20-12, 6:03am
In our experience any path or bed is eventually gonna get weeds, no matter what you put under it. Landscape fabric or carpet or whatever will minimize the weeds, but not eradicate them. I have a small arbor bed at the edge of the patio, we laid old thick carpet down beneath the river rock topping, and I was certain that THIS bed wouldn't have to be weeded. Nope, I still get weeds and grass that need to be plucked. (I don't like to spray around the house with the decorative and edible plants we have.)

In my mind, the only way to have a work-free path would be stepping stones, laid at ground level so you could mow right over them. We used to make our own pavers/stepping stones - all you need is a suitable container (we have an old round metal bowl that worked well), some quikcrete, and maybe some imagination if you want decorative ones. I haven't looked, but I'd imagine there's tutorials all over the web to give ideas on 'em.

Gregg
6-20-12, 9:06am
In our experience any path or bed is eventually gonna get weeds, no matter what you put under it.

Same experience here. I like mulch paths for the simple reason that the stuff that spills over in the yard and then gets shot at your shins by the lawn mower is much softer than what you get with a gravel path.

iris lily
6-20-12, 10:16am
Same experience here. I like mulch paths for the simple reason that the stuff that spills over in the yard and then gets shot at your shins by the lawn mower is much softer than what you get with a gravel path.
Yes, double ditto to that. Mulch is nice because it breaks down and you can be messy with it.

Because it breaks down you've got to keep renewing it, but I would consider that just part of the game. Plus, mulch has this nice woodsy smell. I love mulch!

Iris, Mulch Queen

iris lily
6-20-12, 10:20am
The busy little beaver consumers of our community garden as part of their excessive spending always lay down fabric between their expensive raised beds and it does work for a while, but then eventually weeds pop up.

You can tell that I am old and cranky. With them I think: Why can't you just till up some ground and plant it? Then use FREE wood mulch provided to you by our city and delivered right to the spot. Why MUST you buy crap and before that, go out to raise funds or write a grant to get money to buy the crap? They make it all so complicated.

Gregg
6-20-12, 1:22pm
I love mulch!

Iris, Mulch Queen

Could that have anything to do with mulch coming from ground up TREES? :devil:

pinkytoe
6-20-12, 1:57pm
The permaculture person I talked to said that thick sheets of newspaper (1/2") covered with thick mulch will keep weeds at bay for quite some time. I tried it one area and it seems to be working.

Float On
6-21-12, 1:40pm
I worked so hard building my own stone paths. Took away the topsoil, layed sand, placed rocks, filled in with concrete mix. They were pretty for a couple years. Now they have weeds. I was thinking about putting the two boys to work helping me re-do it all but I haven't worked up the gumption yet.

peggy
6-21-12, 4:14pm
Could that have anything to do with mulch coming from ground up TREES? :devil:

OMG! That's exactly what I was thinking!