PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have an electric bike?

kally
6-17-12, 12:12am
can you share with me what you like or don't like about it and what I should watch for when I buy one. I am thinking of buying one this summer and have to go off the island to get one.

so I want to research them first, see what is available here on the coast of BC and see what I should buy. all tips appreciated.

Gardenarian
6-19-12, 8:49pm
I'm interested in this too! Anyone?

happystuff
6-24-12, 10:10am
I am also interested. Checked into getting one years ago, but didn't and would love more, updated info and recommendations!

Tussiemussies
6-24-12, 10:18am
Also interested to read more about this too, there are a lot of hills around here and I'm afraid I just won't make it up! LOL

happystuff
7-13-12, 6:58am
Bumping this up in the hopes that someone will be able to post some helpful information!

ctg492
7-20-12, 6:37pm
I installed a Hill Topper on my grocery bike. It is a a rechargable battery pack and is good for 15 miles it says. It was super easy to install and is just the little boost needed for hills or if I feel like slacking. I have only used a few times now but it is great when I have a load of groceries and I have to conquer the hills. I got it off Ebay.

Woodhaven
11-22-12, 10:27am
I do not have one (have many self powered bikes), but I have spent many hours looking into the matter. Electric bikes are great for folks who have a short but perhaps hilly commute and do not want to arrive at work all sweaty and worn out. If your commute is over 10-15 miles, you are getting into higher capacity battery packs which can be quite expensive. Prodeco has a line of quality bikes at what I perceive to be value prices for what you get.

Selah
11-22-12, 2:31pm
I wish I had more substance to add to this discussion, but all I can say is that a friend of mine has one and he LOVES it. He uses it to get around town, and because he had a double hip replacement operation, he finds it very useful indeed to handle hills or long rides when he needs to. That's all I know, though. When I see him, I'll ask him more detailed questions about it.

ctg492
11-22-12, 4:55pm
I am updating my post on my Hill Topper since I have had it now several months. I really never used it this summer, felt like I was cheating. Now that fall has come and I am biking daily and being as car lite as possible, I am using it daily. I use my regular bike for my morning ride of 20+ miles. Then in the afternoon to go to the grocery store or where ever I use the hill topper bike. I can see many positives with it. I just charger it each day after using it and ready for next time. It is a heavier bike, but I am in no hurry when I use it, so speed is not an issue.

Tussiemussies
11-22-12, 5:15pm
Wow, ctg 20+ miles is an amazing workout. You must be in great shape!

pony mom
12-6-12, 12:35am
Oprah gave away a Jetson electric bike on her Favorite Things show recently:
http://blurppy.com/2012/04/16/jetson-launches-the-e-bike-the-future-of-the-eco-friendly-electric-bike/

It's super cute but only has a top speed of 20mph. Maybe safe for city driving. You would ride this on the shoulder of the road like a regular bike, right?

Gardenarian
12-6-12, 2:08pm
The Jetson is $1,800 - triple the price of my first car :)

Laser_Cat
12-6-12, 5:44pm
Wow thank you for posting this, actually that hill topper thingamajig would be perfect for me. I never get out on my bike because it's fairly hilly here and I'm afraid I'll just lag like crazy in traffic and get hit. I didn't know something cool like that existed. thanks!

Selah
12-7-12, 1:29am
Laser Cat, I talked to my friend with the electric bike. He said that his is a Chinese bike, as the choice in Israel is limited, but that he was sure you could get a much higher quality bike in North America. He said to make sure to buy it from a dealer so you have someone to go back to if there's a problem, and to spend extra money on a bigger battery so the charge lasts longer and you can go greater distances. He also said some bikes can be "folded," up, so you can carry them on trains or busses, so think about whether you want that feature as well. It costs a little extra, but were you to take a train somewhere, it might save you the cost of renting a car. Good luck in your choice!

happystuff
12-9-12, 7:06pm
So happy to see some posts here. I've taken notes! Thanks everyone.