PDA

View Full Version : what to do with mom's old collection

pinkytoe
6-17-12, 12:51pm
My mother died almost twenty years ago and I guess out of respect I kept her collection of old pharmacy bottles and paraphenalia. She was a pharmacist in an era when women didn't do such things and had amassed a small collection of pharmacy antiquities. It has been displayed in an old glass front cabinet in the corner of a bedroom so pretty much out of sight and not a bother. However, I seriously want to get rid of the smelly old cabinet (everything inside smells of moth balls from previous owner). Most of me wants to get rid of the contents too but there is that lingering feeling of guilt that once gone, gone forever. No one in what is left of my family is interested in it. So...I think it is time to get rid of most of it - perhaps keep just a few things. But I don't know where to start on how to get it gone. Ebay? Craigslist? It is hard enough getting past the inertia of guilt but then the practical side of how to do it...any suggestions?

iris lily
6-17-12, 1:05pm
To get you started in thinking about it, unless you have some idea that is has actual value, I'd concentrate on getting into the hands of someone who would appreciate it. That's always my #1 concern is getting rid of my "stuff" and only secondarily am I concerned with getting money for it.

That said, if you have a pharmacy school, check with them to see if they are interested in taking the collection as a gift.

Otherwise, Craiglist--offer it for free or a nominal fee to the person who best explains why they want it.

razz
6-17-12, 1:30pm
Do you have a local museum whose curator might be able to advise you?

CathyA
6-17-12, 4:28pm
That's a good idea razz. There are some medical museums that would probably love to have that stuff.

SteveinMN
6-17-12, 10:14pm
Definitely some good responses here. There are two independent (that is, non-Walgreens/CVS/Rexall) drugstores near here which display such items. I don't know if there are similar stores in your town, but it might be worth a call or two.

I had a collection of Matchbox-type cars -- variations of one model (the same make and model I was driving at the time) and when I decluttered them, I passed them on to a mechanic who specializes in that brand. He's happy to have them and I get to see them when I bring my car (same brand, different model) for service. Win-win. :-)

flowerseverywhere
6-17-12, 11:18pm
Here is how I deal with this stuff. We live on a planet with a finite number of resouces. If I have more of something than what I can use why not give it to someone who can use it? In the end it will even out.

You have had great responses. Find someone who will appreciate the collection (pharmacy, pharmacy school, museum) and sell it or give it away.