PDA

View Full Version : 930 pm, still 82 inside

Zoe Girl
6-19-12, 11:35pm
Oh is there a melting icon? maybe this rrrrr

It has been about 100 in Denver daily, I am at a school these 2 weeks with no AC (I am the traveling summer camp team, 2 weeks at each school). I finally got a swamp cooler for inside the house which is making some difference but I am still cranky and hot. I tried last night just opening everything up, didn't get cool. I just took the swamp cooler to my room to try and sleep. When I got up for the bathroom at 3 am the living area was finally in the mid 70's. Now I have the swamp cooler on and all the windows open which is cooling faster than last night (85 at 1030 pm). With the front and back door open I have to stay up and there are bugs. I feel like a pioneer. In fact cooking indoors is over for the foreseeable future. I got out the camp stove to put on the back porch.

I didn't even go to meditations this week which is my summer goal because there is not AC at one of them. I am eating ice cream, sucking on ice cubes, and watching BOND movies because the TV does not give off much heat.

Can I just whine? I just sent an apology email because I have been cranky to a work person, at least I realized it. And maybe when it is just down to my son and I then I will rent a small apartment with AC. Whine officially over!

sweetana3
6-20-12, 6:07am
Even when you expect crummy weather every year, it is hard to take. Draining mentally.

Parents in upstate NY never had a need for AC. They are in the mountains. The last few years it has been in the 90s. They sit around in underwear with the fans going.

razz
6-20-12, 6:10am
It is warm and that is hard to cope with when you are dealing with kids and programs etc.

Mrs-M
6-20-12, 6:47am
Found a couple melting smilies for this thread!

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn407/SvensKim/Smileys/smileymaniaat_03060.gif http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RCEby8UgiQ8/T4xBk-PwbOI/AAAAAAAAK2g/ZaYy9lECE6o/s1600/melting.gif

Mrs-M
6-20-12, 6:52am
To add, I'm terrible with heat, and luckily, we've had an exceptionally cool and wet spring. Secretly, I'm enjoying the comfort of indoor life.

Mrs-M
6-20-12, 6:57am
One more for fun!

http://www.urdustuff.com/forums/images/smilies/fan.gif

bunnys
6-20-12, 7:13am
What's a swamp cooler?

I live in the upper South. Think Bermuda high. It started kicking in for the 1st time yesterday and will be going strong today (97) and tomorrow (98) with dew points in the mid-60's. Yes, it will get worse.

I have no AC and am having it replaced tomorrow and don't want to do it but must because I've lost so many trees in the past several years since I've lived here that I can no longer count on trees to help shade the house. So even though the AC will solve the problem, I don't look forward to being trapped in the house all summer. (I've found that when my AC is on and I go outside the contrast is like walking into a blast furnace.)

I love summer and being off of work but I hate it when the weather gets so ugly and stays there for extended periods.

I feel for you and your plight to find somewhere to go that's cool. Being in hot/sticky sucks the life right out of you.

Gregg
6-20-12, 8:53am
In my own experience getting a good nights sleep is the cure for a whole lot of evils. If there is a way to get your bedroom comfortable on hot nights maybe that would help your days run a little smoother. Here's a small window air conditioner (http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Electric-5-000-BTU-Window-Air-Conditioner-AET05LQ/20449871)for under $100 that would be fine for keeping a bedroom cool. There are lots of similar options available. There are also several styles that don't require a window mount, but are more expensive. This one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunpentown-TN-09E-9000-BTU-TechniTrend-Portable-Air-Conditioner/19800180)is nice because it cools, evaporates the water produced and has a dust/partical filter.

We're next door in Nebraska and have been windy, hot and humid the past few days. Yuck! It is supposed to be about 15* cooler today with less humidity and less wind. Hopefully that relief spills over to the front range!

iris lily
6-20-12, 10:07am
What's a swamp cooler?

Swamp coolers don't work in the south with all of that humidity. I had one in my quaint old 1940's adobe house in New Mexico. I didn't know what the strange thing was at first. But it's reasonably efficient in places where air is dry. Essentially, it's a fan with water thrown in the path. Mine was on the roof.

pcooley
6-20-12, 10:08am
It's definitely porch sleeping weather down here in Santa Fe.

iris lily
6-20-12, 10:13am
I second Gregg's idea to get a small room air conditioner, just to cool a bedroom. All of you could pile into that room on the hottest nights.

Two years ago we installed air conditioning on our first floor. Up until then for 20 some years we didn't have it downstairs, but we DID have it upstairs in the bedrooms. and also, cool air falls, so it helped cool the downstairs.

I'll never forget the last two years of the life of one of our bulldogs. She suffered in the heat. So her daddy (she was DH's favorite dog) lugged a giant air conditioner from storage and hefted it into the window so that she could have air conditioning in "her" tiny room downstairs, the breakfast nook. We all spent a lot of time with her on those hot summer days! Then, in the fall, he would heave the giant thing out of the window and put it back into storage. In the spring, same routine. Now that is love and he didn't do that for any of the other bulldogs or for me, ha ha.

pinkytoe
6-20-12, 10:29am
Every summer, I think about that old episode of Twilight Zone where there is an accelerating heat wave as the end of the world nears. I have that image in my head of a man dripping in sweat as he watches the thermometer rise. Each year I tell dh...I want to move back home to Colorado. I hate the heat.

Zoe Girl
6-21-12, 12:03am
Ahhh good icons.

MUCH better today. We went on our field trip to the water park with 75 kids and it was actually a bit too cool. Still it was fun, I took a little guy down the water slide 3 times because he was too small to go by himself. Just a lot of work but everyone did great and had fun.

So after that i came home and just fell asleep on the couch, kept eating and napping. Now it is after 10 and I am awake but it is okay. much cooler and I can really sleep. It will be back up on Friday.